Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 4:49:01 PM   
Jim D Burns

8 May 1942

The weather gods go against me and Germany gets another clear turn in Russia. As expected 2 mech units go down due to the paradrop blocking their retreat routes. I decide to pull back towards the Dnepr river to stretch the German lines a bit.

You can see one of my New army builds in Dnepropetrovsk. At 11 strength I think I was right that they'd have come in at 12 strength had I reached 50% build experience instead of 49%, still they are far better than what I have on map now. Another 20+ of these and my defense will be formidable.

Another hex is forced to retreat in the center. At this rate he will reach Smolensk no problem this year. I can't stop him and he's not over reaching so I can't hurt him even though all my armor is present with the right kind of promotions to assist on counter-attacks.

I dress my lines a bit by pulling out of the swamp to take up positions behind the river south of Smolensk. His relentless forward progress in the center was going to leave the units in the swamp exposed to encirclement should he try a sudden attack to the south.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 151
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 5:07:47 PM   
Flaviusx

Makes up for 41. I had to wait until June before it cleared up. The weather gods are a fickle lot.

And in their fickle way, you got mud in the south so I wasn't able to get 3 clear turns in a row down there, but those are the fortunes of war.

I got some lucky tech rolls over the mud season, btw. 43 interceptors and 43 breakthrough. This is really making a difference where it counts. Your air force is taking a beating and so is your armor.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/11/2019 5:09:19 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 152
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 6:02:34 PM   
Jim D Burns

22 May 1942

Rain in the south gives a bit of a reprieve, Germany appears to be setting up for a push to the northeast towards Kharkov and Kursk. In the center the weather is clear and the relentless eastward tide retreats another hex. Today's screenshot shows the center, I've got a strong double line, but unless he wears down his units more, I simply haven't got the strength to counter attack him.

In Africa the Canadians are on the move. They advance towards the Germans and will be adjacent next turn.

I think lend lease is bugged. No sub attacks for turns yet the 100+ lend lease I've been sending does not appear to be reaching Soviet stockpiles. As a test I have 210 in my stockpile at turn end. Next turn I'll compare income plus lend lease plus my 210 stockpiled minus upkeep and see if the numbers jive, I suspect I'll be short the exact amount of my lend lease.

If it turns out to be bugged as I suspect, I've wasted thousands on lend lease. Wish there was a tally sheet you could open that displayed all income, where it was sourced and all expenditures.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 153
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 6:04:19 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
btw. 43 interceptors and 43 breakthrough. This is really making a difference where it counts. Your air force is taking a beating and so is your armor.

Yeah I've been debating simply sending my airforce into strategic reserve far to the east. In 41 it made a real difference in some fights, but lately its been total crap.

Jim

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 154
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 6:23:47 PM   
Flaviusx

In solo play I've found lend lease works fine, I hope this isn't bugged.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 155
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 7:14:00 PM   
Jim D Burns

5 June 1942

In what feels a little like deja vu, my opponent attacks north across the Dnepr in the south and drives 3 hexes deep. He managed to outright destroy a mech unit in battle (the first such destruction in game), and surrounded another.

I again brought in units from all around and after bombing a panzer unit with everything in range, the Soviets commenced attacks. By the time we had caused the unit a full 15 casualties, it broke and retreated and we were able to reconnect with the isolated Soviet mech unit.

I have brought in a lot of strong units in preparation for what will be a lot of fighting in the coming turns. Given Germany's tenuous one hex wide penetration, I can't imagine his units will be well supplied. Will we see a repeat of last years catastrophe?

Granted his units are tougher this year, but biting off such a deep penetration leaves him exposed to the weaker Soviets. He does have a lot of armor in the area, so perhaps he can do better wearing himself down in low supply level hexes widening his breach, we shall see.

In Africa I occupied the hexes near the port of Bone, Germany and Italy have pulled back into Tunisia. I shall probably halt my advance here for now, until US troops can be brought in to help deal with the widening front lines.

I think my production checks out. I was off by about 40 or so, but Germany did attack some convoys and I forgot to check losses in those, so perhaps that explains the shortfall.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 156
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 7:30:45 PM   
Flaviusx

This time I think it will work. :)

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 157
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 7:43:07 PM   
Flaviusx

In other news, the Italian military is now 30 away from its logistic cap. It's all built out now.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 158
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/11/2019 8:35:14 PM   
Jim D Burns

19 June 1942

With at least 8 panzers or mech infantry in the south along with lots of infantry corps, Germany has no trouble widening his breach. 1 mech and 1 army are lost on the Soviet side. Feeling more like Barbarossa than 1942, I start realigning my front line and begin to trade space for time.

I abandon the extreme south of the Dnepr river to avoid those units getting cutoff and most of those forces head northeast towards Stalino. In the far north I take most troops out of garrison to give them the freedom to redeploy rapidly if needed.

In the center Germany makes several attacks and starts the turn with relatively low strength on his mobile troops, so I try some attacks on the lead mech. Though its strength is reduced to 4, it holds its ground.

Today's screenshot is of the situation in north Africa. Italy has completely abandoned Tobruk and appears to be in the process of leaving the Bengazi area as well. It looks like a large force is building up in Tunisia for a big fight there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 159
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 8:40:55 AM   
Jim D Burns

3 July 1942

My entire winter offensive to drive up Soviet experience has been rendered mute with experience now down to 39%. Playing vs. the AI only before this, I had always crushed the Germans in 41 and the AI never really seemed powerful after that.

A human is far more powerful in 1942 than I expected and this revises my entire outlook on the winter fighting. Forget driving up experience or trying to hurt the Germans, just build as much trash infantry as you can because 1942 will be worse than 1941, far worse. And hanging on to that hard earned experience will be impossible.

In the center Zitebsk falls and the relentless push east continues. All future reinforcements will now go to the center as the rest of Russia slowly falls back.

In the south Dnepropetrovsk is surrounded by 3 panzers and a mech on 4 sides of the city. Looks like a big fight for that city will occur next turn.

In Africa British troops head through Tobruk towards Bengazi which is now totally abandoned. I completely forgot about Crete and lost a British corp trying to unload it at Tobruk. Just lazy play by me and forgetfulness. Had I taken a moment to look over the Mediterranean area before doing my move down there, I'd have seen the airbase icon and not made the bonehead mistake.

In north Africa German and Italian troops advance up to the Canadian line but do not attack.

Germany leaves a part of his nation uncovered and I hit a synth oil plant with the British strategic bomber for 3 points. With the US in the war and Germany doing so well, it's time to take the gloves off and work on his industries whenever possible.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 160
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 9:30:45 AM   
Cohen_slith

The Germans have not made it past the Dnepr in '41 and just got there in '42?

Post #: 161
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 9:44:37 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen_slith
The Germans have not made it past the Dnepr in '41 and just got there in '42?

Historical timelines mean nothing, it's the experience gap that matters in this game.

My opponent made a mistake with his panzers in 1941, had he not lost them he'd have been well past the Dnepr in 41. This game is all about experience. Germany is so powerful now, I do not see the Soviets ever overcoming his huge experience gap over them. He can destroy enough Soviet units at will now that gaining experience will be impossible for the Soviets.

In the past 3 turns he has caused the Soviets to lose 10 build experience. There are still 3 months of clear weather ahead, 1942 is going to be disastrous for the Soviets and will probably set the table for a 43 win by Germany.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/12/2019 9:50:05 AM >

(in reply to Cohen_slith)
Post #: 162
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 10:32:42 AM   
Flaviusx

Panzer Gruppe South got smashed trying to cross the Dnepr in 41 when I pushed it too hard, and that was pure user error. I could've been more deliberate about it and had time.

The south in 41 was also under resourced, particularly in airpower. I had all but 2 bombers in the north. Leningrad was priority one in 41. And I am glad I have it, too. It would be much more difficult to do it later, maybe impossible. What I want in the south I can get later and am doing it now. I have the A team there this year: most of my mech, my paras, the bulk of the luftwaffe, and Manstein and Kesselring. And, no, I have no plans of driving to Stalingrad here, lol.

I have fighter coverage of those synth plants, btw.

But I had the silly plane set on mission only. That was back when I was trying to get the luftwaffe to tech up, and I forgot to toggle it back on full support.

My oil situation is much better this year, at least. Far less marching around. At one point my oil reserve got down to 350 and I was sweating bullets. As of right now I have 750 or so in the bank and that should be enough to see me through the rest of the summer 42 campaign.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/12/2019 10:48:00 AM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 163
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 11:00:24 AM   
Flaviusx

I think this idea of me winning in 1943 is too gloomy.

I will not be able to knock Russia out of the war or anything like that. What I want to do is take the Ukraine, grind up the Red Army nice and good, and sit tight. Then I need to run out the clock. This thing isn't going to be decided in 1943 or whatever, it will go the distance. Next year I have to start worrying about an allied landing somewhere. I am already taking some steps to secure Italy by putting german troops in key locations in the event it falls.

This winter I will be focusing my efforts on building up a big central reserve to respond to a landing. I may even start stripping Russia of a few units. The worst thing I could do here is to drive too far east and spread myself thin. Look how well that worked out in real life!

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 164
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 11:33:49 AM   
Jim D Burns

17 July 1942

The Soviet airforce finally does some good this year and manages to shoot down an attempted para drop southwest of Stalino. I'm curious if it's treated like unloading at a port, was the para unit destroyed or just damaged as the aborted mission statement implies?

Dnepropetrovsk falls and a hex or two in the center falls as well. In the South the Germans appear to be lining up for a push due east through the Stalino area.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/12/2019 11:35:14 AM >

Post #: 165
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 11:34:22 AM   
Radagy

I’m really enjoying this AAR.
Thanks to both of you.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 166
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 11:45:33 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Radagy
I’m really enjoying this AAR.
Thanks to both of you.

You're welcome, glad to hear you're enjoying it. It's fun for me to post as well, as it makes me think about the game more and helps on the learning curve too.

Jim

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 167
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 11:46:13 AM   
Flaviusx

The para unit was returned to its original starting point at half strength and very low readiness. They are hors de combat for a while. And I guess I need to rebuild that air transport, too.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 168
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 1:10:47 PM   
comsolut

quote:

This game is all about experience. Germany is so powerful now, I do not see the Soviets ever overcoming his huge experience gap over them. He can destroy enough Soviet units at will now that gaining experience will be impossible for the Soviets.

Reminds me of WITE where German morale and experience were critical to success.

Post #: 169
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 1:15:10 PM   
Jim D Burns

31 July 1942

Germany relentlessly continues to push back the Soviets, forcing a large section of my line in the south to pull back two hexes.

In Africa the British have passed Bengazi and are approaching the Italian lines. In North Africa the American's have landed and will be moving into the lines soon. Soon the Battle for Africa will get underway.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 170
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 2:35:41 PM   
John B.

I'm enjoying the AAR as well. Thanks for keeping up with it even in the gloomy times!

I've purchased the game, I just have not gotten around to trying it out.

Post #: 171
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 4:31:28 PM   
Jim D Burns

14 August 1842

The Germans continue their drive eastwards towards Rostov. I've shown the entire front this turn so you can gauge their progress so far. With at least 3 more turns of clear weather I think he may make Rostov.

In Africa the Americans start to take over the northern positions in the Canadians line. The British begin to form their lines south of Bengazi but are not in contact yet.

The problem I foresee in Africa is the allied airforces aren't strong enough yet to really damage a strong position enough to make it assailable, so it may be 1943 before enough ground strikers are present to allow headway into fortress Tunisia/Tripoli.

Edit: I should mention the empty hexes in the center near Smolensk. My opponent attempted to take the city this turn from a very strong mech unit and the city held. My opponents armor was really weak showing perhaps 4 strength, so I assumed he pulled back his tired units to rest.

I was not willing to leave my trenches to go forward and see if I could find a weak victim as he's been driving me back easily on this front and he'd probably shatter the entire front if I gave up my dug in positions.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/12/2019 4:45:00 PM >

Post #: 172
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 4:33:06 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: John B.

I'm enjoying the AAR as well. Thanks for keeping up with it even in the gloomy times!

I've purchased the game, I just have not gotten around to trying it out.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it. Gloomy times or not I am really enjoying this game. Even if I get obliterated I shall fight to the bitter end.

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 173
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 5:24:50 PM   
Flaviusx

Finally took Smolensk this last turn, you made me pay a pretty penny for it. Most expensive city by far compared to any of the others I've taken this year. Not having much airpower up north makes any such assault rough.

As far as Africa goes, I'm just trying to draw this out, once the allies show up in might my days are numbered over there. Where are all the allied aircraft? I figured more would be available by now.

You must be sending some truly incredible amounts of lend lease to Russia and delaying your builds. Aircraft are pretty much the first thing I buy with the Americans, anyways, once they are in the war.

I need more time to properly garrison Italy and a few other choice places in the Med.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/12/2019 5:28:54 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 174
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 5:42:21 PM   
Jim D Burns

28 August 1942

Smolensk falls, after last turns pounding the mech defender gave up the city after a single attack. In the south the Germans clear away some Soviet cavalry units and gain another hex towards Rostov.

The US make it to their positions and I look things over in north Africa. As I suspect I'm going to need a large airforce here, but it won't finish building until later this year. My opponents fondness for para drops has me using the north African troops to guard my rear area.

In Lybia my lines turned out to be a bit too far from Bengazi and my units start the turn out of supply. I pull back towards my lone HQ. We'll have to wait for my second HQ to arrive so we can chain supplies closer towards Tripoli before we can push farther here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 175
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 5:46:15 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
You must be sending some truly incredible amounts of lend lease to Russia and delaying your builds. Aircraft are pretty much the first thing I buy with the Americans, anyways, once they are in the war.

Max lend lease is all that is keeping the Soviet units fleshed out. You've been causing such high casualties I've forgone new builds in favor of nothing but reinforcements.

I made the mistake of assuming we were going to have a more active naval game and spent early cash on more shipyards (to build more escorts) and another carrier... Initial airforce is due late 42, won't see African coast until near the end of the year.

Jim

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 176
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 5:51:32 PM   
Flaviusx

I love paratroopers, they have paid off enormously for me. They cracked open the south for me this year, and they helped take Leningrad, too.

I even built the Italian Folgore unit, lol. But it hasn't seen action yet, waiting for a good drop opportunity with it, so you are not wrong to be worried.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 177
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 7:42:35 PM   
Jim D Burns

11 September 1942

In the south, Germany shifts north in a drive on Kursk and orel. Kharkov falls and Germany reaches the outskirts of both Kursk and Orel but the cities are not attacked. This necessitates another major adjustment of my line and Gomel is abandoned. During his drive north, another para mission is shot down and aborted.

Nothing to report in the center.

In Africa the Germans and Italians fell back a bit. This may be due to the fact with three allied tacs in the area all but one (Tripoli) of his ports can be interdicted. He may be suffering from supply issues due to having such a large force in Tunisia.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/12/2019 7:44:07 PM >

Post #: 178
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 7:52:16 PM   
FelixCulpa

Thx Guys for doing the AAR, very interesting.

On paratroops - would like your opinion on whether these are currently an exploit of the retreat rules and are overpowered as such.
Should a Paratroop Corps be able to hold out against two Mech as happened previously? - even with a bad roll!
Should they be allowed to drop into a hex surrounded by enemy units? undamaged - and be able to hold on longer than 4 wks - 2 turns.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 179
RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx - 11/12/2019 8:00:30 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: FelixCulpa
Thx Guys for doing the AAR, very interesting.

On paratroops - would like your opinion on whether these are currently an exploit of the retreat rules and are overpowered as such.
Should a Paratroop Corps be able to hold out against two Mech as happened previously? - even with a bad roll!
Should they be allowed to drop into a hex surrounded by enemy units? undamaged - and be able to hold on longer than 4 wks - 2 turns.

No problem, glad you're enjoying it.

As to para's, I say yes they are a bit of an exploit currently. They should have to commit to a drop two or three turns ahead and only be allowed to drop on that hex. The ability to conduct ground battles, see where units are in trouble and then instantly drop to block a retreat is an exploit in my view.

To stop this they could use the commit ahead system, or make it so they get attacked by fighters no matter what. So even if all enemy fighters have zero actions left allow the intercept and guarantee it happens. By the time they get used now, it is very rare for any enemy fighters to have actions left to roll an attempted intercept, not good.

Edit: Another possible idea is to make it so only divisions can drop. Then don't allow them to recombine until the next turn.

P.S. This is not a dig against my opponent. He is a fair and decent gamer and is simply using a system the game allows. I too will probably use it in our game, but that doesn't mean the system shouldn't be looked at.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/12/2019 8:11:19 PM >

(in reply to FelixCulpa)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: Burns vs. Flaviusx Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI