Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New "War Plan" game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> New "War Plan" game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New "War Plan" game - 10/27/2019 4:08:17 PM   
PvtBenjamin

I don't want to talk out of school but has anyone played the new "War Plan" game? We all know of course SC3 is the greatest but wondering if its worth a go.
Post #: 1
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/27/2019 4:48:39 PM   
mroyer

I haven't played through a game, or even a full turn yet - just learning the nuances. I think it will have a very different feel from SC. Whether that's better or worse is, of course, subjective.

The designer's stated goal is to drive players more towards strategic thinking and less towards operational/tactical myopic thinking - it remains to be seen if that is successful.

Also, at the moment, the game is going through it's initial-release bug-finding phase as players push the limits. It will probably settle down and stabilize in a few patches.

-Mark R.

< Message edited by mroyer -- 10/27/2019 4:49:20 PM >

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 2
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/27/2019 9:31:39 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Looks like wargamer gives it a somewhat neutral review. My opinion is that wargamer isn't a tough grader.

https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/warplan/

Many times these issues are resolved over time.

I've enjoyed grand WW2 strategic games for a long time and SC3 is to date my favorite.

IMO they still need major improvement in the naval & amphib component.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 10/27/2019 9:32:23 PM >

(in reply to mroyer)
Post #: 3
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/28/2019 3:00:59 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

ORIGINAL: PvtBenjamin

Looks like wargamer gives it a somewhat neutral review. My opinion is that wargamer isn't a tough grader.

https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/warplan/

Many times these issues are resolved over time.

I've enjoyed grand WW2 strategic games for a long time and SC3 is to date my favorite.

IMO they still need major improvement in the naval & amphib component.

One thing to bear in mind with reviews published on or about the release date is that they will have been based on playing an earlier beta version, so any detail issues, e.g. the ease of doing Sea Lion may well have been resolved by now.

Reviews like this are useful but they are really of most use to see whether or not the game is for you.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 4
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/29/2019 3:06:52 AM   
Hubert Cater

If I remember correctly one early review of our SC3 War in Europe game had a similar knock against our handling of an Axis Sealion invasion. Call it Murphy's Law where you put all your effort into assuring 95% of WWII history will run smoothly, yet sure enough an early reviewer decides to try that one "what if" strategy you put a some effort into covering, but not nearly as much priority as everything else, or everything you really thought you had to cover for initial release.

But that being said I've had the pleasure to take War Plan for a little spin and I think it is a great game with a lot of original ideas and promising features. If European WWII strategy is what you enjoy, I would definitely recommend taking a good look and even purchasing the game.

There are so few of us making these kinds of games and every little bit helps to support continued development of our hobby

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 5
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/29/2019 7:42:50 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

Thanks for the support. It is always reciprocated from me for Strategic Command.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 6
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/31/2019 5:46:23 PM   
Fintilgin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

If I remember correctly one early review of our SC3 War in Europe game had a similar knock against our handling of an Axis Sealion invasion. Call it Murphy's Law where you put all your effort into assuring 95% of WWII history will run smoothly, yet sure enough an early reviewer decides to try that one "what if" strategy you put a some effort into covering, but not nearly as much priority as everything else, or everything you really thought you had to cover for initial release.

I would like to see some love for popular "what if's" though. Given how popular player occupation of Britain can be, the Allied AI should have some unpredictable plans for fighting back. Choosing between (for example) US invasions of Ireland/Portugal/doubling down on North Africa, with as strong scripting as 'normal' D-Day.

Post #: 7
RE: New "War Plan" game - 10/31/2019 8:12:28 PM   
Hubert Cater

It has been I believe greatly improved since original release, but you are right there are not too many variable plans once Sealion occurs, just a concerted effort by the US to support and take back the island if necessary.

Agreed it would be great to have a variety of plans, they are just very time consuming to be honest and if not done well potentially face criticism etc.

(in reply to Fintilgin)
Post #: 8
RE: New "War Plan" game - 11/9/2019 2:24:11 PM   
PvtBenjamin

I (and many forum participants) have been longtime supporters on the SC series since origin & Matrix games. I have bought almost every SC game (some 2-3 times on Battlefront), PC (AC & SC), GGWIE, Alea Jacta, Order of Battle (several), Commanders , ++ (Buzz Aldrin - ugh no).

My issue is that I've spent $40-50 on way to many titles I never enjoyed or played much.

War Plan looks like the type game I enjoy. I realize the limitations of reviews and am not really concerned about AI performance.

If anyone has played War Plan PBEM I'd be very interested in your feedback.

ty

Post #: 9
RE: New "War Plan" game - 11/9/2019 6:48:49 PM   
James Taylor

Stop messing around Private, time to enter officers' school!

Seriously, this one(WP) is destined to be a classic.

SeaMonkey

Post #: 10
RE: New "War Plan" game - 11/9/2019 7:05:47 PM   
PvtBenjamin

Not a Goldie Hawn fan I take it.

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 11/9/2019 7:52:48 PM >

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 11
RE: New "War Plan" game - 11/9/2019 9:29:51 PM   
James Taylor

More a "Snake" Plissken fan!

SeaMonkey

Post #: 12
RE: New "War Plan" game - 11/10/2019 9:52:11 PM   
PvtBenjamin

aka "Dean Proffitt"

< Message edited by PvtBenjamin -- 11/10/2019 9:53:15 PM >

(in reply to James Taylor)
Post #: 13
RE: New "War Plan" game - 11/13/2019 12:06:41 AM   
ThunderLizard2

Reports are that the AI in War Plan is weak ATM so I'm holding off until it's worked on more. Great potential though.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> New "War Plan" game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI