Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US Navy's rail gun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> US Navy's rail gun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US Navy's rail gun - 10/25/2019 12:44:51 PM   
DWReese

Here is an article about a subject that I'm not very familiar with: the rail gun. I think that this article is pretty interesting. Hopefully, you will too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-navy-wants-deadly-railguns-000000289.html

Doug
Post #: 1
RE: US Navy's rail gun - 10/25/2019 2:15:36 PM   
c3k

Railgun tech is interesting...but the projectiles are, so far, just envisioned to be solid penetrators. Until they can solve the HE fill and fuzing issues (making a shell that can withstand launch and still function), then these penetrators will not bring much "bang" at the end of their flight. Their velocity will decrease as range increases, lowering their kinetic energy. Maximum range may mean minimum effectiveness. (There is a middle ground, where they may not lose much velocity as they go above most of the atmosphere. Think of the German WWI Paris Gun.) This may create a donut-shaped effectiveness pattern. Good up close, worse in the middle, improving at further distances. That all pre-supposes they cannot solve the construction issues with a filled shell.

Then, as your linked article states, the power requirements are quite high.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 2
RE: US Navy's rail gun - 10/27/2019 3:46:24 PM   
ARCNA442

quote:

ORIGINAL: c3k

Railgun tech is interesting...but the projectiles are, so far, just envisioned to be solid penetrators.

People keep repeating this, but it isn't actually true. For years the planned projectile for the railgun has been the GLGP (gun launched guided projectile, formerly HVP or hyper velocity projectile) - a guided shell with an HE payload. The kinetic energy option is a remnant of early railgun concepts and seems to have been driven by the idea of improving ship survivability be removing all explosives from the magazine.

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 3
RE: US Navy's rail gun - 10/27/2019 7:30:16 PM   
c3k

quote:

ORIGINAL: ARCNA442

quote:

Railgun tech is interesting...but the projectiles are, so far, just envisioned to be solid penetrators.

People keep repeating this, but it isn't actually true. For years the planned projectile for the railgun has been the GLGP (gun launched guided projectile, formerly HVP or hyper velocity projectile) - a guided shell with an HE payload. The kinetic energy option is a remnant of early railgun concepts and seems to have been driven by the idea of improving ship survivability be removing all explosives from the magazine.

Obviously, news to me. ;)

Off to dig into it. However, the stresses of accelerating to the velocities needed for the long-range will still be just as daunting.

Edited to add: I just found a link, https://www.janes.com/article/86130/us-navy-canvasses-industry-for-glgp-seeker-options
This story explicitly states that the GLGP is meant for the Mk45 5 inch gun. Almost like a Navy version of the Army's 155mm Excalibur round. This is FAR from use in a railgun. However, another article states it could be used in both the 5" gun and a future railgun. This leaves me more confused.

< Message edited by c3k -- 10/27/2019 7:34:53 PM >

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 4
RE: US Navy's rail gun - 10/27/2019 8:22:19 PM   
ARCNA442

quote:

Edited to add: I just found a link, https://www.janes.com/article/86130/us-navy-canvasses-industry-for-glgp-seeker-options
This story explicitly states that the GLGP is meant for the Mk45 5 inch gun. Almost like a Navy version of the Army's 155mm Excalibur round. This is FAR from use in a railgun. However, another article states it could be used in both the 5" gun and a future railgun. This leaves me more confused.

Here's the single best source of information: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6018848/Navy-Lasers-Railgun-and-Gun-Launched-Guided.pdf

Basically, the long range of the railgun necessitated a guided shell to actually hit anything. This became the HVP (hypervelocity projectile). The Navy then realized that since HVP was already a sabot round (the railgun's electromagnetism is applied to a square sabot rather than the shell itself), they could just reshape the sabot and fire the round out of their existing 5" guns as well and fill the void created by the cancellation of ERGM / BTERM / LRLAP. This then got spun off as a separate program from the railgun itself and was renamed the GLGP with immediate fielding from 5" guns as the main objective with adaption for the railgun down the road.

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 5
RE: US Navy's rail gun - 10/27/2019 9:38:50 PM   
c3k

Thanks!

I found this: https://news.usni.org/2019/05/21/report-on-navy-laser-railgun-and-gun-launched-guided-projectiles

It has an embedded document that describes, in good detail, all about the GLGP with various drawings and specifications.

Interesting...

(in reply to ARCNA442)
Post #: 6
RE: US Navy's rail gun - 10/28/2019 12:52:26 AM   
ARCNA442

quote:

Thanks!

I found this: https://news.usni.org/2019/05/21/report-on-navy-laser-railgun-and-gun-launched-guided-projectiles

It has an embedded document that describes, in good detail, all about the GLGP with various drawings and specifications.

Interesting...

Yep - that's the same document I linked

(in reply to c3k)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> US Navy's rail gun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI