Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So much better than I expected.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> So much better than I expected. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 9:43:00 AM   
incbob

I have been casually following the development diaries and wondered if this game would be any good. I watched a couple of streams and watched the tutorial videos. Then I read the manual.

Wow. If the AI, and what I have seen it is okay, can give a decent fight this game will be go to for a very very very long time. Completely impressed with the detail, yet ease of use.

One of the things that excites me is to see how Naval interaction is done. I can see this easily recreating the Pacific theatre.
Post #: 1
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 10:30:36 AM   
lecrop

I think this great designed and optimized wargame cries out for a Global War scenario

< Message edited by lecrop -- 10/25/2019 10:31:05 AM >

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 2
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 11:06:26 AM   
incbob

Most games can never get naval right. They always leave something undone or something out of whack. Reading the Manual I can see how the Pacific theatre would play out and I can see that it could accurately portray that theatre. It really excites me.

The one issue I see is one of scale. The European theatre is fine at 30m per hex. But the Pacific theatre has massive distances.

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 3
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 3:04:50 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

quote:

ORIGINAL: incbob

Most games can never get naval right. They always leave something undone or something out of whack. Reading the Manual I can see how the Pacific theatre would play out and I can see that it could accurately portray that theatre. It really excites me.

The one issue I see is one of scale. The European theatre is fine at 30m per hex. But the Pacific theatre has massive distances.

Since I had a little time off between the end of Beta and release.... I started a Pacific map. It will be 50-60m scales (80km) and the map looks nice. It will match up with the European map nicely.

Now it's back to WarPlan fixes. When the bugs here are done I will be back on the Pacific.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to incbob)
Post #: 4
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 5:21:44 PM   
Worg64

Yes superb game! It might very well become my favorite WWII game ever!
Fluid land and air war. But what most impress me is the Naval war and the indepth production along with special units and commanders how they work. Keep it up!

PS Looking forward to a total war now with both europe and pacifik :-)

(in reply to Alvaro Sousa)
Post #: 5
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 7:06:46 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

Glad you are a happy customer. Already improving the game and A.I. based on the input from everyone so far.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Worg64)
Post #: 6
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 7:11:23 PM   
Fintilgin

Impressed by my first couple hours, took Poland and France and will restart to do things 'seriously'.

Very slick. I like the basic combat mechanics, feels much more fluid and natural then SC.

Post #: 7
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 8:04:41 PM   
OxfordGuy3

Very much enjoying the game, there are some rough edges, but am enjoying it already and I think with a few patches this will be a superb WW2 Strategic game, has more potential even than SC3 I think. The important naval aspect is loads better, for a start, and overall I'm more thinking about strategy than game mechanics, compared to SC3. Please do continue to improve the AI (though so far it seems not bad), obviously this sort of game shines with PBEM play, but due to time constraints, it difficult for me, and I suspect many others, to commit to a PBEM game. On the other hand, ensuring balance for PBEM play is also essential, as PBEM play is what will keep the game alive in the long term.

(in reply to Fintilgin)
Post #: 8
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 10:30:25 PM   
Zovs

As far as PBEM goes it really does shine and doing the turns is really not that intense as you might think (WITE may take 1-2 hours to do a turn but with WP it’s only a few minutes to at best a half an hour). The turns will fly and it’s highly addictive, lol.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 9
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 10:55:00 PM   
elmo3

Is there a turn replay for PBEM so you can see what your opponent did?

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 10
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 10:57:14 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

The map is marked with enemy action locations and where units moved. You can look in the Combat Logs to see what happened. This allows for players to easily see what happened.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 11
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/25/2019 11:24:42 PM   
elmo3

Got it. Thanks.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Post #: 12
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/26/2019 2:29:57 AM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

quote:

ORIGINAL: incbob

Since I had a little time off between the end of Beta and release.... I started a Pacific map. It will be 50-60m scales (80km) and the map looks nice. It will match up with the European map nicely.

Now it's back to WarPlan fixes. When the bugs here are done I will be back on the Pacific.

Not sure about the scale conversion, but War in The Pacific started out with 60 miles per hex and every found that hex scale to represent too large of an area per hex. So one of the major fixes/changes to the AE edition was to make the map much bigger so each hex was only 45 miles per hex.

Also that is my biggest issue with SC: World at War is the map scale. Hexes just represent too much area. It is the only SC game I have regretted buying because of that.

I would much rather have the same scale as WitP AE or better. The PTO is huge so the map scale should really represent that :)

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 10/26/2019 2:30:22 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/26/2019 2:42:42 AM   
Alvaro Sousa

The scale in WarPlan is 25-50m using a Peter's projection condensing the Nordic states.
The Pacific will be 50m.

It will be very playable and not small. 25m per hex is unplayable except to the most dedicated players that played Europa.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 14
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/26/2019 2:46:17 AM   
James Taylor

Not so much the scale but the recon level of hexes can represent vast areas. Closer to the islands, higher recon. Out in the middle of the ocean the prospect of naval or air forces finding each other is very remote, low intel/recon.

I'm thinking that air and naval patrols, depending on the density, could help unveil, increase the recon level slightly.

SeaMonkey

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 15
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/26/2019 12:50:39 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

The scale in WarPlan is 25-50m using a Peter's projection condensing the Nordic states.
The Pacific will be 50m.

It will be very playable and not small. 25m per hex is unplayable except to the most dedicated players that played Europa.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what the 'm' represents. On first read I thought it was Meters which obviously cannot be correct. Although it would be an amazing project to create a global WWII game at the Squad Leader level lol.

So your 'm' must represent 'mi' or miles. So 50 miles per hex is close enough to WitP AE's 45 miles per hex to possibly do justice to the PTO. Have to wait and see.

Although it would be nice to have a unified map scale like World in Flames did versus some kind of 'connection' mechanic like in previous SC games. I was never a big fan of those.

Since you are working on the PTO map already, I just wanted your efforts to not result in the same disappointment for me and others had with the SC:WaW game scale.

Post #: 16
RE: So much better than I expected. - 10/26/2019 2:35:59 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

The WIF unitifed map scale is 50 miles per hex. The Pacific I am working on will be the same scale as the WiF pacific.

My European scale is 4x that of WiF European scale.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> So much better than I expected. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI