Scen 21 - SPOILER SPOILER

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Andy Mac

Scen 21 - SPOILER SPOILER

Post by Andy Mac »

I want to use this thread as a feedback and spoiler thread on the 3 AI variants I have put in place

In this thread I will outline what each of the variants is intended to do so DO NOT READ FURTHER as there will be spoilers

Anyone able and willing to help by playing one of the AI scripts please feedback below.
Andy Mac

RE: Scen 21 - SPOILER SPOILER

Post by Andy Mac »

OK I am assuming anyone reading now is willing to be spoiled...
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

In post 5 of the Scen 21 thread is a zip file with 3 AI variants

All of them follow an aggressive strategy for the AI it will try to delay a SOPAC build up by seizing the usual forward bases and then strengthening Marquesas Tahiti etc and will do a Mersing Gambit and try to take the DEI ASAP before attacking Ceylon

1. aei21.dat After phase 1 which I include Ceylon in the AI in this scenario will hit Australia from West, East and North as hard as it can and will also hit India from Assam and the West Coast from its base on Ceylon

2. aei21-01.dat After phase 1 which I include Ceylon in the AI in this scenario will hit Australia full bore from West, East and North as hard as it can and will also hit India from Assam and will feint at South India to try and make you think its actually 1. above BUT ITS NOT

3. aei21-02.dat After phase 1 which I include Ceylon in the AI in this scenario will hit NZ as hard as it can and then Australia from East and North as hard as it can and will also hit India from Assam and the East Coast from its base on Ceylon to erode Indian air and land power - it should also launch spoiling attacks on Canada

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

I am testing them all but I only have so many hours in the day so if you want to test a specific scenario above please help yourself or load them all and take pot luck - that's also valuable to let me know if you can easily spot which one you are up against
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

When feeding back if you could let me know which AI file you ended up playing and any observations/issues with the scenario it would be much appreciated
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Should we manually force a particular AI or is there a way to tell which one triggers upon start?
Pax
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

You can either allow the Ai to select on of them by putting all 3 into the rotation or you can maually select the one you want to play by only giving the AI that choice
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

If I go random, how can I tell which one it is? Just observe the outcomes?
Pax
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

yup
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Gotcha … here goes … [:D][:D][:D]
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Please check commander on Midway ampib. 1st attack fails ~10% of the time, unless that is what you are going for. [;)]
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Anadyr (1363) start low on supply.
Pax
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

OK, it looks like I got the #3 AI routine above. Andy, I'd be happy to send you a save in 11 hours or so. I'm in mid-May now. If you could spruce up Japanese defenses while you have my save that would be great (but please don't do anything in China--I purposely do as little as possible there as it doesn't interest me).

Some comments:

I was expecting an NZ run, so I managed to land 2nd & 8th Marine Regts with a few other small units in advance. I've just been able to hold on to both islands with enough advanced SigInt warning to cover the landing beaches (i.e. "11/219 Div is on Holy Cow Maru heading for Gisborne" or the like). I also managed to get 51st Highland Div landed on South Island as well as some other U.S. regts. I think NZ is under control as of mid-May. My USN CVs, which are intact since they've been used very non-aggressively to clean up raiders off California and Hawaii, will hopefully establish naval superiority in a couple of weeks around NZ (once they've helped with Tahiti). Once weird thing is the IJN TFs which landed units at Invercargill are still there. They've been there for months even though I took out the landed units a while ago.

It takes a while to get proper recon units at Pearl (i.e. F-4). Once I did, I discovered Johnston Island has no ground units (at 9/10 detection), but about 75 aircraft. I'd say keeping units on the island would be good if possible or at least the aircraft should be withdrawn

Coal Harbor is a pain but it can eventually be dealt with once you buy out a division. It can be shore bombarded on a regular basis once Victoria is secure from air threat. The Betties based on Coal Harbor didn't accomplish much.

There have been a few small attacks on Anchorage. If this is a serious destination, there should be a bigger force attacking it. If it's a feint, then perhaps fine.

Ceylon is being hit with a lot. I managed to get 18th Brit ID, 7th Arm Bd and three Indian brigades landed on the island before the IJN CVs started to make almost daily appearances. I took out the Jaffna invasion (one IJA ID) and an early Koggala invasion, but a bigger force landed at Koggala as I was dealing with Jaffna and it's become a pretty big force. So far it's a stalemate and I hold Koggala. I'll probably have to get air and naval superiority before I can land enough forces (such as the two Aus IDs) to clear the beachhead. I expect that fight will last a long time. So far, no land pressure in other parts of India.

The IJ's NE Oz invasion seems to be doing fine, although I think it's under control for now. I have no recon squadrons, so I'm using the old trick of setting bombers to random ground attacks and seeing what they find. I landed 2nd NZD on Oz to help out there. No U.S. units have made Oz yet due to the shenanigans in NZ.

The Tahiti and other landing in the deep south are certainly speed bumps. I still haven't taken care of Tahiti. You might add some more ground forces to make these tougher--although that could be very demoralizing to the Allied player.

Raiders are certainly a PITA and they keep the movement of fuel and supplies down. I've relocated my Brit CVs to Perth to try to protect the Cape Town-Oz run. There's no point in keeping them around India since they'd just get sunk by a superior KB.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Thanks Guys

CaptBeefheart in this AI script the the early attacks are to slow down the allied build up and allow the AI to take DEI and phase 1 bases !!.

I will see what I can do on garrisons

Send me a save when you get a chance please

a.mcphie@btinternet.com
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Andy: Just sent you a save.

Cheers,
CB
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Hello Andy: I sent you my Sept 15, 1942 file, which I hope will help.

Some observations:

1) Looks like Dutch Harbor was taken and then abandoned. This may be intentional, of course. It looks like IJ only has forces on Adak in NorPac. A mixed IJA brigade is languishing on Kodiak, as it wasn't big enough to overcome the starting forces there (my suggestion would be to double the invasion force).
2) I sent five carriers down to NZ to try to clear things out, sank and damaged some IJN CVs and CVLs, but ended up gutting my carrier aviation with strikes against heavily capped TFs from USN and USMC aircraft. I ended up sending the USN carriers back to the West Coast for upgrades and some damage repair while the aircraft pools recovered. The IJN still roams around NZ more or less with impunity. However, by now I have plenty of defensive CAP for Wellington and Auckland and I have a lot of ground forces there, so there's no danger of losing even one base there.
3) I'm way behind the historical timeline in SoPac, since I'll have to wait for the CVs to return before I think about taking back Pago Pago, Fiji and New Caledonia.
4) In CenPac I still need to retake Christmas, which I'll do once the CV upgrades are finished. Then they'll head south.
5) IJA/IJN has sent ground units south from Darwin and the other Northern Oz ports. They are being stymied at Cloncurry and Alice Springs, though, since they are out of supply.
6) Normanton and Cooktown have been retaken. Those bases weren't reinforced with base forces or follow on infantry/tanks as far as I can tell. Normanton could have been a PITA with a built up airbase stocked with Zeros and Betties.
7) Koggala is still a stalemate. A deliberate attack was a lot harder on my forces than the IJ's, so no impending resolution here. I'm gradually building it to a Level 9 airfield so as to minimize malaria-zone fatigue for my guys.

Thanks for the great work, Andy.

Cheers,
CB
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Andy,

The following will apply to all of my subsequent feedback.
Settings:
Hard. Go to VH every 10 days for 3 days. Those are always very bad 3 days.
No withdrawals (I'm not used to all the allied withdrawals so didn't want the hassle)
Changes:
bumped PP to 60/turn
changed P39 main from 37mm to 20mm hispano and bumped production rate/duration (I've always thought US should have done this considering it was the only fighter that they could have built more of in '42)

Not nearly as fast as others. Still in Dec 41.
The large CV force sitting off Victoria has been finally moved by the use of subs, I flooded the area got a few hits and relieved the bombing pressure on Vancouver/Tacoma/Seattle. Not sure if you can/want to add ASW protection to this fleet.

Midway was taken on 2nd attack a few days after first failure, so maybe your forces are ok. I didn't try to resist, not sure I would have been successful.

Hilo is a very good diversion. Forces player to have to focus there while everything else gets taken.

Mersing works pretty good. Issue is that force will try to attack Singers on its own and it isn't nearly big enough. Gets mauled pretty bad. It needs to wait until the rest of the forces join up. Not sure how to do that in the AI scripts, but that's what you need.

IJ subs are all nasty. I haven't looked at their stats, but I can imagine what you did. Nasty! [;)]

China going well for the IJ in the east. I've managed to put a blocking force in place at Nanning that has withstood the first wave of attacks. Not sure it will survive the next VH set of days though. In a race to get 2 more corps there before then. We'll see.

Sorry for slow, but don't this is why I play AI ... RL interferes ...
Pax
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Pax:

I bumped P-400 production a bit in mine, which is more or less the P-39 you described, correct? I also added 10/month to P-40Es and Ks and 10 to F4F-4s and I think SDBs (which didn't help too much) and a few to earlier USN fighters. I added a couple of 28-knot BBs in May 43.

Same for me: The CVs stayed off Seattle until one of my subs put a torp in a CV. That took a while, so it may have been a good thing that they finally left absent a good base nearby. Maybe they left to bother New Zealand? Anyway, I have yet to run an IJ first turn to count the IJ's CVs, CVLs, AMCs (with aircraft), AKAs (with aircraft), etc. I should do that soon to see what the current threat is. If you have a tally that would be helpful.

Midway was taken the first time.

Agreed on Hilo.

Same regarding Singapore. The first attack was shredded, but then more forces showed up eventually and took it.

IJ subs are nasty, although they haven't gotten too many shots overall. Plus, a lot of U-boats impaled themselves on mines at Victoria and a number of ships and subs did that at Singapore as well. I haven't laid any mines since the early days as a handicap.

I haven't tried doing Very Hard. What is the effect of that? I've had it on Hard the whole way.

Andy: Thanks for once again changing things up for the IJ side. You are keeping me on my toes!

Cheers,
CB

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

VH pushes supply to islands is the primary reason to do it. It pushes supply in general, but specifically compared to HARD, it will get a lot more supply to islands which the AI can't otherwise do and this will really impair its ability to be effective. So periodic VH days is really important. 3 days at a time does a good job of re-stocking supply. I do it every 10 days, I think Andy uses a slightly different rhythm, but the goal is the same.

In addition, it gives the AI combat odds adjustment, which is why those 3 days are always bad. Think free shock bonus for ground combat, or free dive bonus in air combat. it means bad outcomes for you no matter what.
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

Pax:

... a lot of U-boats impaled themselves on mines at Victoria and a number of ships and subs did that at Singapore as well.
Only had one sub try to pass Victoria, maybe more got through?
Confirm, several TF's attempted Singers guns and mines. Totally shot up.
both of these are mid-late Dec 41 scripts.
Pax

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”