Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 2:42:19 PM   
jagsdomain

I have had convoys turn around on there own.
There heading to Suva and based at Pearl. Then I check on them and there heading back to Pearl.
What's going on?
Post #: 1
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 3:19:53 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

I have had convoys turn around on there own.
There heading to Suva and based at Pearl. Then I check on them and there heading back to Pearl.
What's going on?

Would need to see a screen shot. But yes I have. Usually when I have them set to "Do not unload" for one reason or another....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 2
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 3:31:21 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64
Would need to see a screen shot. But yes I have. Usually when I have them set to "Do not unload" for one reason or another....GP

Yeah, I'm also guilty of having that one now and then. Usually find it when the loaded convoy already made some progress on the back route.
Can also be an encounter with the enemy surface TF

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 3
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 3:43:37 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Yeah, I'm also guilty of having that one now and then. Usually find it when the loaded convoy already made some progress on the back route.
Can also be an encounter with the enemy surface TF

True story....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 4
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 4:12:34 PM   
rustysi

As said above, a screen shot would be nice. All instance I've seen has to do with player (read, my error) input.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 4:40:52 PM   
geofflambert

Sometimes when you're staging something you might forget to "remain on station". It is often useful to "do not unload" and "remain on station". You just have to remember to change it back to "unload cargo" when you get them going again.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 6
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 5:10:43 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Sometimes when you're staging something you might forget to "remain on station". It is often useful to "do not unload" and "remain on station". You just have to remember to change it back to "unload cargo" when you get them going again.

Great idea. Will have to check that.
The last convoy that did that was to not unload. So it might have gone to Suva then turned around because I did not have it set to remain on station.
Will look
Thanks.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/19/2019 5:40:33 PM   
GetAssista

There is also a bug in the game that can turn convoy around at the base if you had that base as a final destination before, but later changed final destination to something else with the intention for a convoy to keep going

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 8
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 1:45:10 AM   
spence

For every convoy click on "Remain on station". Sometimes you may forget to change their home port. Sometimes you may forget to change "Do Not Unload".

And sometimes you may forget to click "Undock" for a fully loaded convoy. So long as you do that the convoy will never sail.

< Message edited by spence -- 10/20/2019 1:47:20 AM >

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 9
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 2:51:18 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

For every convoy click on "Remain on station". Sometimes you may forget to change their home port. Sometimes you may forget to change "Do Not Unload".

And sometimes you may forget to click "Undock" for a fully loaded convoy. So long as you do that the convoy will never sail.

If you have a destination set, won't the convoy set sail as soon as it is fully loaded? (sometimes if all the ops points are used up it doesn't sail until the beginning of the next turn, but it should always set out for destination as soon as it can).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 10
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 3:02:22 AM   
spence

quote:

If you have a destination set, won't the convoy set sail as soon as it is fully loaded?

One would think so but it seems that is not always the case. Maybe it is because one ship is only 99% loaded or some such. After a check of loading condition I always click on "Undock" just to make sure they sail that turn...sometimes one or more ships are only loaded to 99%.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 9:50:10 AM   
HansBolter

Threat tolerance set low and a close encounter with a surface force can cause a TF to abandon its destination and turn for home.

Hans

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 12
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 2:00:34 PM   
Dili

Yeah that too Hans, but never happened to me what spence says. What might happen is that you set the another home port the convoy is fully loaded. it still remains where it is if it is not changed the destination to the homeport.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 7:07:24 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

quote:

If you have a destination set, won't the convoy set sail as soon as it is fully loaded?

One would think so but it seems that is not always the case. Maybe it is because one ship is only 99% loaded or some such. After a check of loading condition I always click on "Undock" just to make sure they sail that turn...sometimes one or more ships are only loaded to 99%.

I have noticed that a lot. Not every ship seem to fill 100 percent.
If you unlock them that makes them leave?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 14
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/20/2019 8:37:29 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

They will fill 100% if you are loading cargo or resources on a cargo TF. Amphib TF ships can only load to 80% of ship capacity - to account for the unusable space left when you combat load for fast landing. Transport TFs carrying troops can theoretically use full capacity but a tiny fraction might not be loaded because (I presume) the equipment being loaded does not exactly fill every nook and cranny.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 15
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/21/2019 5:56:04 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

They will fill 100% if you are loading cargo or resources on a cargo TF. Amphib TF ships can only load to 80% of ship capacity - to account for the unusable space left when you combat load for fast landing. Transport TFs carrying troops can theoretically use full capacity but a tiny fraction might not be loaded because (I presume) the equipment being loaded does not exactly fill every nook and cranny.

+1

"In cargo" being truly cargo or resources I have never experienced < 100%

"In Transport" for troops / airframes similarly I have never seen < 100%. However I am very careful to ensure more than sufficient capacity with excess being ~ > 50% when I "validate" load - else I get more ships. Delivering a load troops with a little extra cargo / fuel is never a bad thing even if you are "pressed for quality shipping" i.e. Allies in early 1942.

"In Amphib" -Troops - even with extra planned capacity - it seems to be a fragment is always left - primarily being motorized support.

I cannot say this is universal if you have enough APA / ALA / LST / LSI late in the war- but with xAP and XAK during the earlier stages of the war - when making Amphib - it is my experience that vehicles and motorized support fragments are often left behind.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 10/21/2019 5:57:18 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/21/2019 9:38:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

+1

"In cargo" being truly cargo or resources I have never experienced < 100%

"In Transport" for troops / airframes similarly I have never seen < 100%. However I am very careful to ensure more than sufficient capacity with excess being ~ > 50% when I "validate" load - else I get more ships. Delivering a load troops with a little extra cargo / fuel is never a bad thing even if you are "pressed for quality shipping" i.e. Allies in early 1942.

"In Amphib" -Troops - even with extra planned capacity - it seems to be a fragment is always left - primarily being motorized support.

I cannot say this is universal if you have enough APA / ALA / LST / LSI late in the war- but with xAP and XAK during the earlier stages of the war - when making Amphib - it is my experience that vehicles and motorized support fragments are often left behind.

There is a clause in the manual about guns and vehicles have an additional load cost multiplier because of the irregular shape. I usually plan my amphibs with at least 2X the total load "cargo load cost" of all the units to be loaded. Even then, that will sometimes leave some support vehicles on the dock. I try to have a fast cargo ship or two in port to load any leftovers and then catch up to the amphib convoy.

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 17
RE: Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? - 10/23/2019 2:09:53 AM   
geofflambert

Since we're on the subject of TFs turning around, when travelling off-map never ever ever change the destination, whether it is to return to the off-map base or to move to a different off-map base. All kinds of crazy stuff can happen and the TF will be lost in the Twilight Zone for a while.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Has anyone had convoys turn around by them selves? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI