Playing the game, I actually do very much like what you have done with it. But some things are missing/overlooked. So I hope that whoever is in charge of paying you guys knows that you do have a great product with lots of potential. I really mean that, it is a great game and really emphasizes the need for leadership and experience on the battlefield. But to further emphasize that, more care needs to be taken in the roster mode, so you can intuitively know who is going into battle, and who is not. And if they are going into battle, are they decorated? highly experienced teams? It would be nice to differentiate between such teams!
1. Command/Platoon roster you should know IMMEDIATELY what the leadership of each squad is, rather than having to go to the soldier monitor. This way you get a TOTAL VIEW of how many sergeants, Lieutenants, Captains or whatever equivalents, are going into battle.
2. And/or Hovering the mouse or clicking, it would make sense to show the soldier monitor or some equivalent. What weapon and rank of each soldier? I have gone into battle with a machine gun team that does not have a machine gun, so it would save time if I knew exactly what they are equipped with without needing a notepad.
3. It would be a nice touch to show the most decorated soldiers in said screen, or show the merits of that squad. If you have a good squad, you should know immediately that they are good and have a high-ranking commander. Even color coding this would help, so new, inexperienced teams are maybe RED and good teams are GREEN or vice versa.
Furthermore, in tactical gameplay, there are lots of little improvements which would make gameplay much more enjoyable:
1. Make soldiers surrender again.
2. Soldiers run toward the enemy when broken, which just makes it a turkey shoot, where you and the enemy can lose a lot of men unrealistically. I think it would make sense to make them run toward the area with the greatest concentration of FRIENDLY troops or zones which, if the battle were to end, would be in THEIR occupied territory/deployment zones. For example, enemy will go toward "black" zones on the map, not toward your deployment zones. You should be able to easily program this and it would add greatly to the realism.
3. In old close combats, proximity to dead bodies either increased or decreased morale. if you don't already consider this, you should. Maybe keeping dead bodies in neutral zones will also add to the realism. You can add flies/colors in warm weather maps to differentiate old and new bodies.
4. You should be able to click on each soldier in a battle and know who they are. PLEASE FIX THIS!
5. In old Close Combats you had the command dots on the screen, showing move commands. You could click and drag these as you see fit. That made the experience much more simplistic. I haven't toyed with all the new option you have, but this seems to be missing.
6. More focus on historical accuracy of uniforms. I haven't quite gotten to France yet, but I did try out the single Normandy beach landing and saw the Germans were dressed in Africa Korps uniforms, which took away from the authenticity Close Combat prides itself on. So hopefully better care will be taken on accuracy of uniforms.
7. Be able to tell the difference between friendly and enemy kills. The "+" red cross is the same for friendly and enemy kills. Obviously this is counter-intuitive. Even a green +1 might be better for logging an enemy kill and a red -1 for a friendly kill.
8. The command radius needs to be quickly assessed for ALL UNITS. You used to be able to press spacebar to see a colored command radius for all units on the screen, at once. Adding this to the inset map would be an innovation not in previous version but also very useful.
9. Differentiate between broken units and intact units on the inset map, so you know which teams are actually fighting and which are rendered useless.
10. Soldiers don't seem to get stunned anymore?
I'm sure I forgot things or will come up with new things. But I think all my suggestions are both very simple and also quite valid, so hope they are given some thought.
They are such simple things, but can hugely affect the gameplay.
< Message edited by Saturnian -- 10/27/2019 9:00:00 PM >