Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors - 10/17/2019 2:42:52 PM   
Eboreg

It may just be me but after a recent nerf, Magnetic Anomaly Detectors have become useless. For example, before the nerf it was rather easy to find the enemy sub in the "Brother against Brother" scenario but now it seems that it's a target that you're just going to have to let go. Can anyone figure out a way to use MAD to their full potential or are we just going to have to ignore them now?
Post #: 1
RE: Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors - 10/17/2019 9:17:46 PM   
TheOttoman

Command v1.15 Update - Build 1009.31.1 completely redid MAD. This explains what is happening to you
quote:

Build 1009.31.1 Release Notes
-----------------------------------------

* Major overhaul of MAD sensor modelling:
-- MADs are no longer precision sensors, they have bearing ambiguity and absolutely no range estimate (the range estimate is essentially "anywhere from right in front of us up to max sensor range")
-- The practical MAD detection range is affected by the displacement ratio (target displacement vs max reference figure) and under-keel depth (shallow is worse, because of the bottom background)
-- MAD scan rates have been increased (only in DB3000 v478+, see below). This rewards faster sensor platforms (e.g. P-8 vs P-3 vs helicopter) as they are able to cover more distance per given time and thus refine the contact position through triangulation faster.

< Message edited by TheOttoman -- 10/17/2019 9:18:30 PM >

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 2
RE: Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors - 10/18/2019 4:26:24 PM   
SeaQueen

If you get a MAD hit you're close, but you don't know exactly where the target is. That's okay, though. Just drop and let the torpedo do its work.

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 3
RE: Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors - 10/18/2019 7:45:46 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eboreg
It may just be me but after a recent nerf, Magnetic Anomaly Detectors have become useless. For example, before the nerf it was rather easy to find the enemy sub in the "Brother against Brother" scenario but now it seems that it's a target that you're just going to have to let go. Can anyone figure out a way to use MAD to their full potential or are we just going to have to ignore them now?

There was a prolonged discussion about this in this here forum, and the consensus (backed up by strong evidence) was that MAD systems, as modelled, were much more capable than in real life. So we adjusted them.

We are sorry if you missed the debate.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 10/18/2019 7:46:31 PM >

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Recent nerf to Magnetic Anomaly Detectors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI