Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

win 10 and thoughts on going forward

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> win 10 and thoughts on going forward Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/16/2019 10:42:35 PM   
carll11

Im making the big move very soon, against my will but we're left with no choice really.

How does CS ME install play on win10?

Any advice to share?

Just a note on win 10 etc...my understanding is, its a watershed OS, going forward from here for folks like us that play games going back 15 years , or more, compatibility issues are going to get more difficult to overcome much more so that past 'upgrades'.

I have a segregated machine for XP. Due to driver issues I couldn't partition my xp drive for win 7 too and didnt really need to because 99% of my xp , 2000 and win 98, and most win 95 games worked in compatibility mode or patches were created, but co.s like ssg for example are out of business.......a friend who's a rabid gamer and coder guy says dont even think about it re:Win 10 and 7. A partition is out of the question.How many segregated machines am I going to have to run for gods sake.....

Post #: 1
RE: win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/16/2019 11:49:11 PM   
Big Ivan

Hi Carl,

I'm running CSME version 1.02 (old version) AND version 2.01(current version) on my rig.

My Win7 hard drive & OS crashed back in June 2019 and I was forced to go to Win10 64 bit.

Both versions are running on my current rig with Win10 just fine!! Running Win10 build 18362 due to upgrade again in December 2020.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
John

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 2
RE: win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/17/2019 12:15:35 AM   
athineos

Carl, go for it, since all new games are best played with WIN 10. However, if you still play games that came out in the early 1990’s, I would recommend to keep a couple cheap laptops (they do not take a lot of space)with earlier WIN Versions.
For example, one of my all time favorite games, I can not play in any WIN versions after WIN XP. (WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING).
I have two XP LAPTOPS only for apps and gaming - no internet (not safe).

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 3
RE: win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/17/2019 9:49:25 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: athineos

Carl, go for it, since all new games are best played with WIN 10. However, if you still play games that came out in the early 1990’s, I would recommend to keep a couple cheap laptops (they do not take a lot of space)with earlier WIN Versions.
For example, one of my all time favorite games, I can not play in any WIN versions after WIN XP. (WARLORDS III DARKLORDS RISING).
I have two XP LAPTOPS only for apps and gaming - no internet (not safe).

Hi Athineos,

Yes, I have gone ahead and bought a laptop with win7 loaded already and will be moving and reinstalling all my games on that laptop.

I'll upgrade to win 10 on my present laptop and then one at a time reinstall the games and see whats what.

And yes, I already have a segregated (from internet)tower XP computer for select win 95 and 98 games that never liked win 7 much....

Depending on win 10s performance, I'll buy what may be my last gaming computer of my life, an alienware area 51M with the 8GB card.

Like you my gaming taste is eclectic, I want to play aside from my wargames, fps, rgp, like Half Life ( all its sequels, System Shock 1 and 2 etc etc.)
My XP tower will play them but,but is graphically limited, I'd really prefer the win 10 to run them as I'll have a massive graphics boost to run them to the limits but, I am already hearing of issues etc...GOG has actually created System shock for win 7 but not 10...

(in reply to athineos)
Post #: 4
RE: win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/17/2019 9:52:06 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

Hi Carl,

I'm running CSME version 1.02 (old version) AND version 2.01(current version) on my rig.

My Win7 hard drive & OS crashed back in June 2019 and I was forced to go to Win10 64 bit.

Both versions are running on my current rig with Win10 just fine!! Running Win10 build 18362 due to upgrade again in December 2020.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
John

Hey John...thx I was hoping it would be a soft landing:) I am sure CS Vietnam will be fine.
However Zakblood has tested the excellent old school SSG games for win 10, but with mixed success.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 5
RE: win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/18/2019 6:04:15 PM   
zakblood

so far i can count on both hands still, so not needed to take me socks off, the games that don't work at all with windows 10, can't say i've tested many, maybe 500 to 1000 at most, but that's mostly war games, flight games, space or rpg etc, my general rule of thumb is, if it works with 7 or 8, 9 out of 10 ten times it will be fine with windows 10, as long as prerequisites are pre installed in order, if it needs something special, most of the time, whatever it is, can be added to make windows 10 work with it, the most trouble is windows res sizes, as not all support the latest, but as i don't use 4k,. that's never yet been an issue so 1920x1080 seems to be not a issue with older games, and so far had no issues with either DOS games and emulation etc

so win3.1 to windows 8.1, not really a problem, it's the custom builds with a hand built engine that sometimes causes the most issues, then again only a handful i've not managed to get to work, google and asking the dev's / makers etc normally there's a work around

(in reply to carll11)
Post #: 6
RE: win 10 and thoughts on going forward - 10/20/2019 3:06:00 PM   
carll11

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

so far i can count on both hands still, so not needed to take me socks off, the games that don't work at all with windows 10, can't say i've tested many, maybe 500 to 1000 at most, but that's mostly war games, flight games, space or rpg etc, my general rule of thumb is, if it works with 7 or 8, 9 out of 10 ten times it will be fine with windows 10, as long as prerequisites are pre installed in order, if it needs something special, most of the time, whatever it is, can be added to make windows 10 work with it, the most trouble is windows res sizes, as not all support the latest, but as i don't use 4k,. that's never yet been an issue so 1920x1080 seems to be not a issue with older games, and so far had no issues with either DOS games and emulation etc

so win3.1 to windows 8.1, not really a problem, it's the custom builds with a hand built engine that sometimes causes the most issues, then again only a handful i've not managed to get to work, google and asking the dev's / makers etc normally there's a work around

Thx Zack.....

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> win 10 and thoughts on going forward Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI