Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why neglecting IOS?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Grim.Reaper
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why neglecting IOS? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 8:34:17 AM   
cicciopastic

Hi guys. I really love your works! But why its so hard to find your games on mobile Devices? I read ah article stating that more than 50% of games are played in mobile..... now come most of your games are still only pc based? I guess there would be huges opportunities for you in mobile platforms.... i even own so e games on both iPad and PC (panzer corps for example) .

Please give us a sign of hope!

Cheers Ciccio
Post #: 1
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 1:39:59 PM   
MrsWargamer

It's likely not so much the device is not desired or the operating system is the problem, but most wargames require a sizable viewing surface, and require the employment of a mouse.

Battle Academy is not impossible, and Panzer Corps is possible, but a game like War in the East is just way to complex, needs a much larger screen to be enjoyable, and would suck the battery power out of a device rapidly. That would also apply to most opertational level wargames such as The Operational Art of War, Strategic Command, and the Close Combat series is just to much in need of a mouse input device.

Most wargames on a small screen would be about the same as most movies on a small screen. I have no intentional of ever watching a movie on my phone or instance. Ok to use to play music, but not video. Those willing to use small devices for long periods of time for intense viewing needs, are probably ruining their eyesight.

There ARE a lot of wargames made for mobile devices. But they are made for the device. Most PC wargames are made with the expectation they will be played on a PC.
Chec out Joni Nuutinen if you need a wargame fix for your mobile.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to cicciopastic)
Post #: 2
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 3:49:20 PM   
cicciopastic

Mmmmh, i am not sure i agree. I used to play Commader the Great war and still have fun with Civilization VI: both games have huge maps, a lot of units and plenty of graphical details. Than u should know that Total war porting was a huge success.

I think dimensions dont metter here .... I Think it is just a question of production strategical choice.

Hugs, Ciccio

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 3:54:14 PM   
zakblood

if there was any money to make, then pc developers would still be there, as there not, it speaks for itself

Post #: 4
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 4:38:59 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: cicciopastic

Mmmmh, i am not sure i agree. I used to play Commader the Great war and still have fun with Civilization VI: both games have huge maps, a lot of units and plenty of graphical details. Than u should know that Total war porting was a huge success.

I think dimensions dont metter here .... I Think it is just a question of production strategical choice.

Hugs, Ciccio

I played the Nintendo DS Civ on a tablet, it was ok. It was a severely stunted version though.
You will find no shortage of wargamers who play Civ but refuse to compare it with actual wargames such as War in the East.

You have a right to play whatever you wish on a tablet. But I have talked with actual developers, and they don't do it for the money in most cases, because there isn't much money in it. That's not strategic marketing, that's the actual reality of wargaming.

Civ and titles like Total war are mainstream products. Most 'wargames' are niche inside of a niche product sold to specialty consumers. Which is why most mainstream gamers have never heard of Matrix Games and Slitherine. We are very demanding of accuracy and method of being played. And they are well aware of those demands.

Post #: 5
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 5:00:02 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: cicciopastic

Hi guys. I really love your works! But why its so hard to find your games on mobile Devices? I read ah article stating that more than 50% of games are played in mobile..... now come most of your games are still only pc based? I guess there would be huges opportunities for you in mobile platforms.... i even own so e games on both iPad and PC (panzer corps for example) .

Please give us a sign of hope!

Cheers Ciccio

Apple simply does not have a market share worth exploiting. Android certainly does though.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 10/14/2019 5:01:41 PM >

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

Post #: 6
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 5:18:02 PM   
zakblood

but most android users expect free or for very little, so the margins aren't worth the time or effort to develop on imo and is why most don't or no longer port

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 7
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/14/2019 10:42:32 PM   
yobowargames

From my experience:

Android Users basically expect games to be free or almost free. Only real way to make money is to have in game purchases or advertising. Neither models fit traditional wargames that well.

iOS user will buy a game but not in sufficent volumes or price point to make it worthwhile. Again companies make money by in game purchases or advertising.

Despite the widespread use of Mobile devices, PC is still the number one for most developers to make any money, especially in the fairly niche market of wargames.

YOBOWARGAMES – “BRINGING THE JOYS OF BOARD WARGAMING TO THE PC”

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/15/2019 5:57:38 AM   
MrsWargamer

I have bought most of Joni Nuutinen's WW2 titles (for Android), at usually 6 bucks a go (Canadian).
That's like 20+ titles

He regularly updates them.

6 bucks is not much to ask for a decent wargame. And with something like Bluestacks, I can play the game on my big TV screen through my PC and not need to wreck my eyesight in the doing.

They are decent games, and shouldn't be felt to be lame based on price or device.
But he will tell you, he wouldn't expect to get anything out of porting them to PC.

One of the harsh truths of wargaming, is you likely need a real day job as a developer.
This hobby won't pay your bills for the most part.

(in reply to yobowargames)
Post #: 9
RE: Why neglecting IOS? - 10/15/2019 6:53:45 AM   
zakblood

quote:

One of the harsh truths of wargaming, is you likely need a real day job as a developer.
This hobby won't pay your bills for the most part.

100% agree with this part, from what i'm told anyway and by Lance the yobowargames developer and others, and not just a few, quite the norm now days as so many say the same thing

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why neglecting IOS? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote