Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> WarPlan >> AI Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Question - 10/9/2019 4:27:46 PM   
Fintilgin

As fond as I am of the Strategic Command series, I do sometimes get bored with the AI always following the same script.

Will the AI attempt different grand strategies, or will it just go through the same sequence every time?

Will the Axis AI attempt Sealion?
Will the Allies ever skip Italy and try for an early Overlord?

Things like that?
Post #: 1
RE: AI Question - 10/10/2019 1:36:49 AM   
GenSlack

From what I've seen of the one guy doing YouTube videos of games vs. the PO, it is supremely awful with no fun factor. Within a few turns of every playthrough that I viewed the PO is already outmaneuvered on a grand scale and the game ruined. Not even a remotely interesting opponent. Without the ability to follow the progress of any PvP games, it is impossible to assess game balance or tell whether the mechanics result in any kind of stimulating and/or plausibly realistic game. I was looking forward to this but no way it is a Day 1 purchase for me. I will await the reports of others.

(in reply to Fintilgin)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Question - 10/10/2019 7:58:05 PM   
waynenh57

How old are those YT videos?

(in reply to GenSlack)
Post #: 3
RE: AI Question - 10/10/2019 8:00:01 PM   
Fred98

Only a few months

(in reply to waynenh57)
Post #: 4
RE: AI Question - 10/10/2019 8:58:23 PM   
stormbringer3

I've been hoping for a game like this for a long time. I only play vs. the AI. I know that a decent AI is not easy to craft. I'm hoping for at an AI that is at least competent to above average and doesn't make serious blunders too many times per game.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 5
RE: AI Question - 10/10/2019 9:02:08 PM   
sol_invictus

In some of his more recent videos the Russian AI pretty much stopped him in his tracks during the winter of '41. Admittedly, he did make mistakes but it seems that the AI is at least good enough to make the Player keep their head in the game and not try to sleep walk through play. PBEM is where this game will shine I think.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: AI Question - 10/10/2019 11:07:24 PM   
Fintilgin

quote:

ORIGINAL: GenSlack

From what I've seen of the one guy doing YouTube videos of games vs. the PO, it is supremely awful with no fun factor. Within a few turns of every playthrough that I viewed the PO is already outmaneuvered on a grand scale and the game ruined. Not even a remotely interesting opponent. Without the ability to follow the progress of any PvP games, it is impossible to assess game balance or tell whether the mechanics result in any kind of stimulating and/or plausibly realistic game. I was looking forward to this but no way it is a Day 1 purchase for me. I will await the reports of others.

Oh, I didn't realize there were long forms games on youtube. I will definitely check them out.

As someone who largely exclusively plays against the AI that's disappointing to hear, although not entirely surprising, because I know AI is hard.

(in reply to GenSlack)
Post #: 7
RE: AI Question - 10/11/2019 12:30:20 AM   
scout1

quote:

Yeah, will wait this one out to hear feedback …. though I have high hopes ….

(in reply to GenSlack)
Post #: 8
RE: AI Question - 10/11/2019 1:12:10 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

From what I've seen of the one guy doing YouTube videos of games vs. the PO, it is supremely awful with no fun factor.

The "First Look at Beta Build" YouTube video, from back in June almost 4 months ago? A lot of things were updated and improved since beta playtesting started at about that time.

For a new game and initial release, there will be opportunities for more improvements. The AI is in pretty good shape now, certainly much better than 4 months ago. Players should reserve judgement until release and see for themselves.

(in reply to GenSlack)
Post #: 9
RE: AI Question - 10/11/2019 2:01:25 PM   
Alvaro Sousa

Very difficult to code an A.I. for a game as deep as WarPlan. It takes time and patient beta testers. It took a very long time to develop the A.I. for SC. It is a very good A.I. for that size game. It works via fuzzy logic and scripting like WarPlan does.

As for different strategies....

The Axis A.I. has 2 major strategies and a couple minor ones. It might do somethings historical if the opportunity and time present itself and it might do other things non-historical. I tried to have the A.I. realize it has no intuition and work around that with its strengths.

The Allied A.I. is more reactionary. But generally there is no multiple path it can take on a large level. It does have some small level non-historical actions depending on the situation.

Like SC WarPlan can only get better.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 10
RE: AI Question - 10/11/2019 3:09:05 PM   
GenSlack

No, I am talking about the series of them that he's done up to present. Prior to posting, the last one I saw was around 3 weeks old. Seems a little better in the latest 1943 one that I watched yesterday.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon] >> WarPlan >> AI Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote