Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Too addictive

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Too addictive Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Too addictive - 10/8/2019 11:25:29 PM   
Zap

So how are they going to actually try to hold this company liable?
Its not a game most play here but it is relevant to gaming in general
My grand kids play this game when they come by they ask me why don't you play Fortnite Grandpa? "Its the best game ever they say". I've got addicted gran kids.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2019/10/07/fortnite-producer-epic-games-lawsuit-says-addictive-as-cocaine/3900236002/

Employing Psychologist seems a profitable venture but maybe immoral to hook young children. Is this the nicotine of gaming?

< Message edited by Zap -- 10/8/2019 11:32:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 1:15:59 AM   
Rebel Yell

It's free and they've got a quarter of a billion players, so a jury *might* just believe the plaintiffs to an extent.

However, a settlement of any magnitude would set a precedent that would be the beginning of the end of online gaming and potentially any commercially successful game, so that's not very likely.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 3:07:09 AM   
Lobster

The new thing is to remove blame for a person's lack of responsibility and attach it to someone else. In this case parents refuse to believe they are responsible for the children's actions and are not responsible to police their children's activities. It's someone else's fault. Maybe make a buck or two off it to boot.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 3
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 3:58:20 AM   
Kuokkanen

If it wasn't Fortnite, they would have come up with another game. There have been lawsuits against Rockstar Games and their Grand Theft Auto series. Did anything come out of them?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 4
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 5:04:00 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

The new thing is to remove blame for a person's lack of responsibility and attach it to someone else. In this case parents refuse to believe they are responsible for the children's actions and are not responsible to police their children's activities. It's someone else's fault. Maybe make a buck or two off it to boot.

Sadly, this applies to more and more people, and more and more situations, every day.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 10:22:09 PM   
philabos

When I visited Okinawa I was amazed to see cigarette and beer vending machines on the street for anyone who had change.
The Japanese apparently think the state is not responsible for raising your children.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 11:54:16 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

It's free and they've got a quarter of a billion players, so a jury *might* just believe the plaintiffs to an extent.

However, a settlement of any magnitude would set a precedent that would be the beginning of the end of online gaming and potentially any commercially successful game, so that's not very likely.

Its free!! they must make money somehow.

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 7
RE: Too addictive - 10/9/2019 11:57:59 PM   
Rebel Yell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Its free!! they must make money somehow.

Microtransactions.

If 10% of their customer base spends $10 a year, they make $250,000,000 a year.

I suspect the aggregate is more than that.

< Message edited by Rebel Yell -- 10/10/2019 12:01:33 AM >

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 8
RE: Too addictive - 10/10/2019 12:55:51 AM   
demyansk

Responsibility? That word is still relevant? Wow, it's everyone else's fault these days, from cigarettes, texting, smart phones,vaping, schools. I could go on and on. It's never your fault or responsibility. It's terrible

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 9
RE: Too addictive - 10/10/2019 1:25:21 AM   
Blond_Knight

Wasnt there some "big" movement to sue the makers of Everquest about 15 years ago? It was too addictive and ruining peoples lives or some such crap.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 10
RE: Too addictive - 10/10/2019 2:25:58 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

I agree!

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 11
RE: Too addictive - 10/10/2019 6:34:23 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

In some countries governments have issued restrictions for time spent with video games. It isn't limited to only writing laws, but games and game services (equivalents of Steam) can have timers that measure time the games have been running and close the games when time runs up. Or so I recall reading from somewhere, so don't take my word alone for it. If game addiction becomes too severe problem for too many people, is this the solution?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 12
RE: Too addictive - 10/10/2019 6:40:35 PM   
wodin

Well heard it all now. All I can say. What a waste of NHS money for starters. I think the government hates the fact they are losing lots of their public to games from the brain washing TV. I never heard of diagnosis for TV addicts..did you?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
RE: Too addictive - 10/10/2019 8:52:28 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

In some countries governments have issued restrictions for time spent with video games. It isn't limited to only writing laws, but games and game services (equivalents of Steam) can have timers that measure time the games have been running and close the games when time runs up. Or so I recall reading from somewhere, so don't take my word alone for it. If game addiction becomes too severe problem for too many people, is this the solution?

Do they put limits on alcohol consumption, tobacco consumption, food consumption, water usage, time at the television, amount of time spent reading books or a million other potentially addictive behaviors? Not bloody likely. If someone has an addictive personality they will find some outlet for it. Games are simply an easy target.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 14
RE: Too addictive - 10/19/2019 1:23:53 PM   
Ridcully70

Yet it's okay to be addicted to computer strategy games then?

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 15
RE: Too addictive - 10/19/2019 1:51:43 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ridcully70

Yet it's okay to be addicted to computer strategy games then?

Considering how drugs are being made legal across the globe I guess it is.

(in reply to Ridcully70)
Post #: 16
RE: Too addictive - 10/19/2019 4:53:33 PM   
Gilmer

I remember Everquest, then World of Warcraft. Both of those games had people letting their kids die while they were playing, losing their jobs because they played too much, kids even committed suicide, I believe. etc.

If they rule against the company, let's just have everyone keep their parents until they are 90 years old. And if your parents die, then you will be assigned to be adopted by someone 90 years old.

< Message edited by KurtC -- 10/19/2019 4:54:00 PM >

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
"There are no modern Nazis. The real Nazis in Hell laugh at the notion." - Gilmer, descendant of Poles.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 17
RE: Too addictive - 10/19/2019 5:17:40 PM   
larrybush

Go back and review the experiments that the National Institute of Mental Health performed on rats (poor lab rats!). They found that placing an electrode into the supposed pleasure center of the brain and giving the rat access to a button to stimulate it created addicted rats to stimulating their brains. They stopped grooming themselves, reduced their food intake (some died) stopped sex, all to stimulate that spot.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 18
RE: Too addictive - 10/19/2019 10:43:28 PM   
demyansk

Kids don't go to school due to addictions with the phone and Xbox

(in reply to larrybush)
Post #: 19
RE: Too addictive - 10/20/2019 8:45:39 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk

Kids don't go to school due to addictions with the phone and Xbox

Even without those they would find other excuses not to go, like Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 4, and bullying. Not too long ago my cousin killed himself because of bullying. Don't go to school ever again.

MekWars

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Too addictive Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll