Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/25/2019 3:37:39 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Had the "Peenemunde Raid" (17-18.8.1943) by Martin Middlebrook
Currently reading "The Schweinfurt-Regensburg Mission" (17.10.1943) by him
And "The Nuremberg Raid" (30-31.3.1944) by him on my book backlog :)

Superb reading

Do these books cover both sides or are they just from the Allied perspective?

Just got my copy of the Churchill--Australia book. Will start it soon.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 31
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/25/2019 7:51:18 PM   
Kursk1943

These books cover both sides, though the Allied side in more detail. Lots of eye witnesses are cited. I recommend these books very much, too.

In addition from the same author: "the Berlin Raids" and "the battle of Hamburg"

Besides. the raid on Schweinfurt and Regensburg was not 16 Oct 1943 but 17 Aug 1943.

My grandfather was a meteorologist at the Obertraubling airfield 1941-1945 as a major of the Luftwaffe and an eye witness of the August raid on Regensburg. It was the shock of his life to see all the dead apprentices in the Messerschmidt factory area after the raid (descripted in detail in the book). He would never talk about it. My grandma told me about it when I was a young boy.

< Message edited by Kursk1943 -- 10/25/2019 8:18:32 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 32
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/25/2019 7:59:16 PM   
John 3rd

Good--Thanks!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 33
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/26/2019 9:01:00 PM   
Barb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

These books cover both sides, though the Allied side in more detail. Lots of eye witnesses are cited. I recommend these books very much, too.

In addition from the same author: "the Berlin Raids" and "the battle of Hamburg"

Besides. the raid on Schweinfurt and Regensburg was not 16 Oct 1943 but 17 Aug 1943.

My grandfather was a meteorologist at the Obertraubling airfield 1941-1945 as a major of the Luftwaffe and an eye witness of the August raid on Regensburg. It was the shock of his life to see all the dead apprentices in the Messerschmidt factory area after the raid (descripted in detail in the book). He would never talk about it. My grandma told me about it when I was a young boy.

Thanks for correcting my mistake about the Schweinfurt-Regensburg mission - it was 17th Aug 1943.

Yup the books are great even as "standalone" - they usually start with the strategic situation, opponents situation (training/organization/experience/effectiveness, etc), then how the plan was was developed, how the eyewitnesses spent their respective day before the action, then the action itself superbly detailed down to individual plane losses and actions where possible and again from both sides... I would say its superbly researched and then nicely woven into a story line taking all sides into account (like spoof raids/jamming/supporting operations/etc...)

[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzOZPXg_qJ22TG43UmJ5UjRsb3c[/img]

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 34
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/27/2019 1:27:22 AM   
spence

I'd recommend "A Long Days Journey Into War: Dec 7th 1941". It does not deal solely with Pearl Harbor but with ALL that was going on anywhere in the world starting at 1 minute after midnight until 1 minute before midnight in practically the same place (just shy of 48 hours total time).

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI