Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2019 X-Mas Book List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 2019 X-Mas Book List Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/8/2019 1:15:35 PM   
John 3rd

OK. Someone always starts a new book list for recent titles that have come out or books you have recently read that would make great gifts for ourselves/others. What is out there we should be aware of? Any recommendations?

Looking for good history, naval history, Mod-related books, anything at all appropriate...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 10/8/2019 1:16:01 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Post #: 1
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/8/2019 4:27:03 PM   
Canoerebel

The British are Coming, by Rick Atkinson, is an obvious choice. At Chickenboy's recommendation, I got the book a few weeks ago. I finished it last night. I can't wait for volumes 2 and 3. The trilogy covers the American Revolution. Atkinson is a gifted historian and a superb writer.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/8/2019 4:30:17 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The British are Coming, by Rick Atkinson, is an obvious choice. At Chickenboy's recommendation, I got the book a few weeks ago. I finished it last night. I can't wait for volumes 2 and 3. The trilogy covers the American Revolution. Atkinson is a gifted historian and a superb writer.

I had to keep a dictionary with my while I read it but very good. His Africa and Italy books were amazing the 3rd was ok.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/8/2019 4:53:54 PM   
warspite1

I have just bought Eagles Over The Sea 1935-42 (Paterson) A history of Luftwaffe maritime operations.

I will let you know if this is worthy of the Christmas book list. I still have How War Came to finish but will break off to read the first chapter in the next few days. I find that it doesn't take any more than that to know if its a serious book or not.

I thought there may have been a list of squadrons in the appendix but this is a disappointing omission at first glance.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 4
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/9/2019 1:12:00 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

Great suggestion Dan. I read that about a month or two ago. LOVELY work. My Revolutionary War knowledge was pretty sketchy. Much rather prefer Civil War and WWII so I got it to take me out of my comfort range. It is FINE reading!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/9/2019 2:18:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

Great suggestion Dan. I read that about a month or two ago. LOVELY work. My Revolutionary War knowledge was pretty sketchy. Much rather prefer Civil War and WWII so I got it to take me out of my comfort range. It is FINE reading!

Me too, John. I was lamenting the mediocre works on the Revolutionary war that I read in years past. I was thrilled to see Atkinson's take on the subject and he has done great service thus far. I'm eagerly anticipating the next books in the series.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/9/2019 4:39:13 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Me too, John. I was lamenting the mediocre works on the Revolutionary war that I read in years past. I was thrilled to see Atkinson's take on the subject and he has done great service thus far. I'm eagerly anticipating the next books in the series.

Looks like this one is going on my Amazon list. Thanks, gents!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 7
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/9/2019 6:41:02 PM   
BBfanboy

My son gave me a copy of the book "World War II 365 days" which covers a lot of the political and economic factors affecting the war and includes beaucoup pictures, propaganda posters and art. At least two pages are devoted to each date in a year, so 365 X 2 = at least 730 pages. Author Margaret E. Wagner.
It also says "From the Library of Congress", so I am not sure if that library sponsored the book in some way or helped get it published. A triangular logo on the spine has "Abrams" over it - likely the publisher.

I found the book fascinating because it covered a lot of the political landscape outside Europe and North America. It helped a lot in filling in, for example, the pressures on the British in India and Burma that made it difficult for them to stop the Japanese earlier.
And did you know that on May 14, 1940 :

quote:

Peruvian police finally end two days of anti-Japanese riots. U.S. intelligence agents in the country report: "The fear of ... anti-Japanese riots will in all likelihood prove a great deterrent to sabotage attempts on the part of the Japanese community".

It suggests to me that U.S. agents might have provoked the riots as a message to U.S. based Japanese people.

So, not an attempt to cover the military battles per se, but to provide context to what happened during the war.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 8
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/10/2019 2:55:45 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I stumbled on "The Pacific War Encyclopedia" at a used bookstore maybe 16 years ago and I've found it to be a good overall reference.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/10/2019 7:57:03 AM   
Buckrock

The book I read most recently on WWII was Freudenberg's "Churchill and Australia". It's 10 years old now and on a somewhat obscure topic but it's well written and much of the book is concentrated on their differing priorities during the Pacific War that led to so many of their political tiffs. It was particularly insightful regarding the British (re Churchill) and Australian thinking during the lead up to the Pacific War (including Force Z), then later with Singapore (defend or evacuate), the controversy over Churchill's attempt to reinforce Burma with an Australian division and also, what happened to the relationship after MacArthur became Australia's new monarch.

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/10/2019 9:47:31 AM   
fcooke

Not sure if the request is for the whole Pacific War or just the China and SE Asia component.

If the whole Pacific - Anything by Lundstrom.
Anything by Ben Frank (Marine historian). Sadly no longer with us but a real gentleman. Might have to search on his given name - Benis.

If SE Asia focused I found Van der Kloots work to be very interesting regarding the early war.

The Fleet the Gods forgot.

The Bloody Shambles trilogy.

Shattered Sword.

I find the Oxford guide to WW2 (or something like that) to be helpful on at least getting the basics on pretty much everything - but IIRC fairly pricey. Does double as a weapon since I think weighs something like 5 kilos.

Conway's is interesting to read in that in gives a sense as to what the world community thought the world's navies looked like. Also pricey and a good defensive weapon.

I can dig up ISBNs if anyone is interested in the above. I suspect many of you have many, if not all of these publications. I just have not had my morning tea yet so neglected to give all the details.

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 11
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/12/2019 5:14:08 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I have just bought Eagles Over The Sea 1935-42 (Paterson) A history of Luftwaffe maritime operations.

I will let you know if this is worthy of the Christmas book list. I still have How War Came to finish but will break off to read the first chapter in the next few days. I find that it doesn't take any more than that to know if its a serious book or not.

I thought there may have been a list of squadrons in the appendix but this is a disappointing omission at first glance.
warspite1

Well I've read the first three chapters and I have to say its a decent book. A few typos so far and a couple of schoolboy errors on ship identification - but nothing out of the ordinary.

The author writes in a clear, readable style which always helps. Its an interesting subject and its nice to be reminded that it wasn't just the British that mucked up its naval air arm in the build up to WWII.

The performance of the naval air arm of the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War (Chapter 3) was impressive but with that prize arsehead Goring in charge, the wrong conclusions were drawn.

I was only going to read a chapter or two to get a taster for the book, but I am sufficiently hooked and I think I will have to continue reading

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/12/2019 5:26:02 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

The book I read most recently on WWII was Freudenberg's "Churchill and Australia".
warspite1

Mmmm sounds like a book that I should be ordering.... I'll get this as soon as I've finished my current two books on the go.

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 13
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/12/2019 11:02:56 AM   
Buckrock

Just a caveat. The focus of the "Churchill and Australia" book is more on the wartime political relationship than on the military events themselves, although the two are inevitably intertwined, particularly the disputes over strategic decision-making.

I'd seen a lot covering US-Australian relations during the Pacific War but little on Australia's "other" partnership beyond the disastrous opening months of that war. The book fills in a lot of blanks. It also covers the relationship prior to 1939 (obviously including the First World War) but the bulk of it is on WWII (both Middle East and Pacific).

And though it's a warts and all treatment of the subject, I didn't find it to have any particular anti-Churchill bias. That was my only real disappointment.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/13/2019 12:19:43 AM   
John 3rd

I wrote a paper, back in Grad School (late-90s), that focused on Australia--GB relations during the Fall of Singapore. Looks like someone TOOK my paper! DRAT! Will find and order this book. Thanks for the head's up.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 15
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/13/2019 10:04:18 AM   
Yaab

I recommend the two-volume history of the Paraguyan War by Thomas Whigham. The conflict was the Civil War of South America.

The Paraguayan War, Volume 1: Causes and Early Conduct (Studies in War, Society, and the Military)

The Road to Armageddon: Paraguay Versus the Triple Alliance, 1866-70

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 16
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/14/2019 6:01:06 PM   
John 3rd

Just ordered Churchill and Australia!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 17
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/14/2019 7:05:19 PM   
Buckrock

Hope you like it. The wartime Australian politics is somewhat interesting too but with their three changes in wartime government plus their ministers and diplomats in London and Washington, there are a lot of names to keep track of during the narrative. At least on the British side you only need to remember the name Winston.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 18
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/16/2019 6:16:08 AM   
Kursk1943

For those being interested in the history of the native Americans I highly recommend "The last Indian War - The Nez Perces Story" by Elliott West.
It is not only about telling the events which led to the war, the course of the war itself and its aftermath, but it also presents a detailed picture of the US society at that times.
Because my English is not so good here a more fitting description:

"The short version: this is an absolutely GREAT book about not only the fantastic Nez Perce bid for freedom in 1877/78 but about how their story produces a dynamic portrait of the entire 19th Century. It is gem in the legacy of every American.
To elaborate a bit...

Too often we treat the 5-year Civil War as THE defining factor of the 19th Century USA. Not true. At all.
Every event, every invention, every social, religious and political change, every environmental change here during the entire span of the 1800s – including our puny Civil War - was molded, caused and developed by just one thing...a continent full of land and resources just waiting to be taken possession of and used. And because of this, the 19th century here was one of multiple “reconstructions” (as West terms them) – actually “reinventions” of ourselves and our country to evolving ideas of what America and Americans were and should be. Not for more than five thousand years had mankind seen such a marvel.
The Nez Perce “War” was the sunset of one America and the dawn of the next – for all of us - and Elliott West does a superb job of bringing it to the reader."

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 19
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/16/2019 11:32:33 AM   
RangerJoe

Wounded Knee was after that war. The last battle between the Native Americans (Indians) and the US Military was the Battle of Sugar Point, or the Battle of Leech Lake, in Minnesota. The Indians won . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sugar_Point

The US Civil War was not puny, a lot of people died and there was a lot of destruction. Memories still run deep in many places.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 20
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/16/2019 12:14:47 PM   
Kursk1943

You sure know the difference between a war and a battle. During the Nez Perce war there were about six battles.
The author was well aware that after 1877 there was still a number of conflicts.
"In 1878 there was a brief outbreak among the Bannocks, neighbors to the Nez Perce. In the Southwest, the Apaches would put up resistance for nearly another decade ... but less a war than sporadic raid and response...The sad events around Wounded Knee in 1890 were a brief slapping-down of spiritual independence..."

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/16/2019 4:30:36 PM   
Macclan5

Perhaps already too obvious ?

Anthony Beevor : The Battle of Arnhem the deadliest Airborne operation of WWII

I think its out in soft cover now. Perhaps 9 month old?

I read / bought the hard cover in May / June this past summer.

(my patience waiting for Ian Toll had worn thin and my gift card specifically earmarked for Toll's third book - was burning a hole in my pocket).

I have read a number of Beevor's books now. Dday / Bulge / etc

They are - in hindsight good reads.

I cannot say that I discovered anything new or surprising in them.

However Beevor does keep the pace fast and interjects the 'political background' adroitly; he brings forth the 'assassination attempts on Hitler' - or specifically in this book - the urgency of Allied command to use their shinny new toy called an Airborne Army - and Beevor neatly ties up consequences on the tactical side .

Not sure how other feel

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 22
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/16/2019 9:07:48 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kursk1943

You sure know the difference between a war and a battle. During the Nez Perce war there were about six battles.
The author was well aware that after 1877 there was still a number of conflicts.
"In 1878 there was a brief outbreak among the Bannocks, neighbors to the Nez Perce. In the Southwest, the Apaches would put up resistance for nearly another decade ... but less a war than sporadic raid and response...The sad events around Wounded Knee in 1890 were a brief slapping-down of spiritual independence..."

I do know the difference between a war and a battle. But the fight against the Nez Perce was not the most important thing that happened in the United States during that century, nor did it define one era from another. To look at the most defining thing for the United States during that era, you need to look at the US Civil War - all else pales in comparison. The War of 1812 between the United States and the United Kingdom was also very important, much more important that the Nez Perce campaign.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Kursk1943)
Post #: 23
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/17/2019 7:27:03 AM   
Kursk1943

You seem to be the ideal candidate for that book!
Hey, it's just a book recommendation, not a political statement I'm giving here.
Read the book and from your own opinion.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 24
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/17/2019 7:11:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Just ordered Churchill and Australia!
warspite1

Me too. Bit of a queue forming once again but Eagles Over The Sea is proving very good so should have that one wrapped up in a week or so. I can then set about finishing off How War Came and get started on this puppy .

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 25
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/17/2019 11:15:37 PM   
JohnDillworth

The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Mike Duncan. Mr Duncan is a prolific podcaster. He is currently doing a series on the Russian Revolution. Rome was a Republic before it was run by an Emperor. Lots of parallels to whats going on in our world today but more importantly this is just a fun, fascinating read.........“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/18/2019 12:11:57 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Mike Duncan. Mr Duncan is a prolific podcaster. He is currently doing a series on the Russian Revolution. Rome was a Republic before it was run by an Emperor. Lots of parallels to whats going on in our world today but more importantly this is just a fun, fascinating read.........“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

+1 I liked it.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 27
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/18/2019 9:06:51 AM   
Barb

Had the "Peenemunde Raid" (17-18.8.1943) by Martin Middlebrook
Currently reading "The Schweinfurt-Regensburg Mission" (17.10.1943) by him
And "The Nuremberg Raid" (30-31.3.1944) by him on my book backlog :)

Superb reading

[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzOZPXg_qJ22TG43UmJ5UjRsb3c[/img]

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 28
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/21/2019 5:31:49 PM   
John 3rd

Haven't read anything by that author. Do I have to order MORE books???

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 29
RE: 2019 X-Mas Book List - 10/22/2019 8:40:29 AM   
Buckrock

Not to further overload your list of books for consideration but...

I've just finished Farrell's "The Defence and Fall of Singapore", making it now my most recently read non-recent (2005) book on the Pacific War. Focuses mainly on the all important ground campaign but also covers the air and sea aspects in sufficient detail for context. The book concisely deals with everything from pre-war strategy down to tactical battle analysis, describing British decisions every step of the way and what alternatives they might have had at each point. A very well researched effort (including use of Japanese sources) to explain how it all went so wrong and then kept going wrong.

Edit - Just the inevitable caveat - the book contained no accompanying maps of the battles. I often had to refer to battle maps freely available online from other sources in order to fully picture the situations the author was referring to.

< Message edited by Buckrock -- 10/23/2019 4:18:02 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> 2019 X-Mas Book List Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI