Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crashes when starting scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Crashes when starting scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/8/2019 12:57:53 PM   
wknowles9876

WitP:AE wouldn't run after re-installing Windows 10 so I re-installed it & the latest update. Now the game is fine up to clicking the Start Scenario button then it loads a bit and crashes to desktop. What am I missing?
Post #: 1
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/8/2019 2:38:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wknowles9876

WitP:AE wouldn't run after re-installing Windows 10 so I re-installed it & the latest update. Now the game is fine up to clicking the Start Scenario button then it loads a bit and crashes to desktop. What am I missing?

When you say "latest update", do you mean the betas 1126a or 1126b, or the last official update 1124? If you skipped the official update you might not have all the files changes needed to run properly.

Which scenario did you try and run? Some scenarios require downloading of different map sets (stock or extended, no stacking limits or stacking limits) or different database mods like the Reluctant Admiral series.

When you "re-installed, did you run the install from a downloaded .exe file or did you just copy your file directory for the game over to the computer? The proper installer is required to make changes to the Windows Registry that allow the game to run. Just copying an old install won't do it.

Did you re-set your switches in the shortcut properties to make the game run better? If so, please post your entire path + switch string

You don't have enough posts to be able to put up a screenshot yet, but if you use a file sharing site you could make screenshots of your setup and post the link here so the forum can look for issues. At the moment, you have not provided enough info and we are taking shots in the dark.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 10/8/2019 2:39:53 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to wknowles9876)
Post #: 2
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/9/2019 7:29:14 AM   
wknowles9876

Thank you that helped give me a better check list. I apparently installed the 11.26b beta version into a subfolder and the shortcut was pointed there. So we can call that a shortcut, registry, and version error all in one fell swoop. Starting the 11.26a copy from the higher level folder gets past this situation.

Again, thank you.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/9/2019 10:28:41 AM   
Trugrit

quote:

Thank you that helped give me a better check list. I apparently installed the 11.26b beta version into a subfolder and the shortcut was pointed there. So we can call that a shortcut, registry, and version error all in one fell swoop. Starting the 11.26a copy from the higher level folder gets past this situation.

Again, thank you.

When the Beta installs it creates it's own folder inside the main game folder.
Inside the Beta folder is a game execute.

Then it creates a desktop shortcut that points to that execute.
That shortcut, when it is created, does not have the command switches set for you.
You have to go to that shortcuts properties and set your switches manually.

Running from the execute in the main folder you have bypassed the Beta.
That is O.K but you need to be aware of it.

Most players use the Beta so when you go to play a PBEM game your opponent
and your databases may not match and you may not know why.

As a check open the game and look at your Main Screen.
It shows the version number.

Does the version number look like mine below?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Trugrit -- 10/9/2019 10:40:40 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/9/2019 8:22:11 PM   
wknowles9876

The version that was crashing looks like your screenshot, the version working is 11.26a rather than 11.26b. At this time I'm not concerned with multiplayer so I think I'm good for now, thank you.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 5
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/10/2019 2:19:20 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

The version that was crashing looks like your screenshot, the version working is 11.26a rather than 11.26b. At this time I'm not concerned with multiplayer so I think I'm good for now, thank you.

One of the differences between 1126a and 1126b, is that the former uses the standard Matrix install directory - i.e. it replaces the 1124 (last official update) within the same set of directories/subdirectories - so the shortcut will still point to the right place.
1126b is the only one that creates a new subdirectory called Beta but it does create a new shortcut that points to it. All you should have to do is find the right shortcut on the desktop and relabel it "WITP-AE Beta", then deal with the switches to make it run better.

BTW, many of the players here urge use of 1126b because there were some fixes done that cured problems with underway ammo replenishment that still exist in 1126a. Since Unrep does not happen until 1945 (I think), I do not see much issue for a game against the AI and 1126a is good too.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 6
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/10/2019 11:29:42 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

quote:

Again, thank you.

That shortcut, when it is created, does not have the command switches set for you.

The easiest solution is to simply copy the beta executable from the beta folder and use it to overwrite the executable in the main game folder. That way your original shortcut with all of your command line switches remains valid and your game launches with the new beta executable. Simply delete the new shortcut linked to the beta folder.

Hans

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 7
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/10/2019 11:33:49 AM   
wknowles9876

Good, I wasn't sure if porting the other files were also necessary.

Thank you.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/10/2019 12:45:06 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Again, thank you.

The easiest solution is to simply copy the beta executable from the beta folder and use it to overwrite the executable in the main game folder. That way your original shortcut with all of your command line switches remains valid and your game launches with the new beta executable. Simply delete the new shortcut linked to the beta folder.

Hans, are you sure there were no changes to the database for 1126b over 1126a? I thought there was some tinkering with AA accuracy in 1126b?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/10/2019 7:15:14 PM   
Trugrit

I donít think Hans knows. Iím not sure anyone knows.
Iím not even sure michaelm knows for sure if the last official update picked up all his changes.

I always thought the last 1124 official update was the same as the 1126a Beta.
Did the 1124 update pick up all of the items in the 1126b Beta?

I do know that copying the modified execute out of the Beta file and pasting it in the main folder
is not what you want to do if you want to run the Beta.
That will run the official update as Hans has said but it will not run the Beta
even though the main screen tells you that you are running the Beta.

That might be a problem if you ever want to do a PBEM or use the Beta.

Because, the modified Beta execute is not the only thing in the Beta folder.
The pws data files (1126b) are in there.
When the execute runs it looks for the pws data in the folder itís located in.
It wonít look for it anywhere else. It wonít go back to the Beta folder and use the 1126b pws data.
That is why those modified files are in the Beta Folder with the Beta execute.

If you donít believe that then try this:
Copy the Beta execute into the main game folder and overwrite the existing execute.
Then go and delete the entire Beta folder (1126b). Use the Beta execute in the main folder to start the game
and it will run using the 1124 update but the main screen will tell you that you are using the 1126b that
you just deleted. The main screen will lie to you about the version number.

If you are not running the 1126b pws data, you are not running the Beta even if the main
screen says you are running the Beta.

I recommend that you run the Beta execute the way it was intended from inside itís own folder.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Crashes when starting scenarios - 10/10/2019 8:06:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I donít think Hans knows. Iím not sure anyone knows.
Iím not even sure michaelm knows for sure if the last official update picked up all his changes.

I always thought the last 1124 official update was the same as the 1126a Beta.
Did the 1124 update pick up all of the items in the 1126b Beta?

I do know that copying the modified execute out of the Beta file and pasting it in the main folder
is not what you want to do if you want to run the Beta.
That will run the official update as Hans has said but it will not run the Beta
even though the main screen tells you that you are running the Beta.

That might be a problem if you ever want to do a PBEM or use the Beta.

Because, the modified Beta execute is not the only thing in the Beta folder.
The pws data files (1126b) are in there.
When the execute runs it looks for the pws data in the folder itís located in.
It wonít look for it anywhere else. It wonít go back to the Beta folder and use the 1126b pws data.
That is why those modified files are in the Beta Folder with the Beta execute.

If you donít believe that then try this:
Copy the Beta execute into the main game folder and overwrite the existing execute.
Then go and delete the entire Beta folder (1126b). Use the Beta execute in the main folder to start the game
and it will run using the 1124 update but the main screen will tell you that you are using the 1126b that
you just deleted. The main screen will lie to you about the version number.

If you are not running the 1126b pws data, you are not running the Beta even if the main
screen says you are running the Beta.

I recommend that you run the Beta execute the way it was intended from inside itís own folder.

I was running the official patch 1124 until fairly recently when a hard drive crash forced me into Win 10 and on the WITP-AE re-install I used 1126a Beta instead of the 1126b. There are a lot of user interface changes immediately apparent in the 1126a over the 1124. Most of them I like, but the bit about new TFs defaulting to "Full Refuel" unless you remember to change it before you form the TF is maddening (in ports with little fuel or when creating a new TF at sea).

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Crashes when starting scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI