Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Editor Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Scenario Editor Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Editor Questions - 9/30/2019 6:16:28 PM   
donform

This is my first post on this forum and I hope someone can help me. First, does anyone know of a youtube video or website that goes into more detail about the scenario editor than the game manual does? In addition, with the scenario editor I cannot figure out how to add an airbase. I know how to add a unit and open the drop down box to choose "facilities" but air fields are not a listed option. Also, in the scenario editor I can add planes for a certain air base but I cannot figure out how to position the planes on the ground at the particular airbase loaded with weapons & fuel. I have to leave them in the air and then land them, go into the editor after they have landed and arm & fuel them "immediately". Then when I play the scenario the planes are loaded & ready to be launched. I prefer creating my own scenarios, although they are relatively simple ones, they are designed to what I want them to be. Being new to the forms I hope someone can help me with my above questions.
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Editor Questions - 9/30/2019 6:51:40 PM   
Whicker

Not sure on the videos, not sure I have seen one on the editor.

For an airbase you have 2 choices - there is a Single Unit Airfield in there - search for `single` under facilities and you will find them, there are different runway configurations. If the base will not be attacked they are a good choice - super easy to do.

If the base may be attacked you should build it from individual units, that way they can be damaged (Single Unit base I think is indestructible). To do this you need:

- runway(s)
- runway taxiway(s)
- access points
- parking - either tarmac, open, hanger or revetments? might be a couple others
- ammo pad or bunkers for munitions

then when you are done placing those select them all and press G to group them.

To add AC you go to the Editor tab and then Edit Unit with the base selected (?) and one of the options is to add AC. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Ammo/loadouts is the hardest part - pro tip is to select the AC, then go to the loadouts window and arm them - the munitions won't be available but there is a button in the editor mode to `Ignore magazines` or something like that, that will make them ready, then change them again to Ferry and ready them immediately, now the ammo they had will be offloaded into the ammo pad/bunkers. You can do this with multiple loadouts to get an initial ammo load, then go and edit the magazines to add more as needed. A video on this part would be helpful.

(in reply to donform)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Editor Questions - 9/30/2019 8:08:32 PM   
KnightHawk75

@donform - Welcome!

quote:

First, does anyone know of a youtube video or website that goes into more detail about the scenario editor than the game manual does?

I don't off hand but some probably exist, most the ones I'd point you too revolve around lua scripting tutorial of which there are some great one. But there are a host of resources in the mods and scenarios sections of the forums.

quote:

with the scenario editor I cannot figure out how to add an airbase.

I think this was in the manual somewhere but... there are two basic ways.
1 - You build your own. You'll need a runway, at least 1 runway-access-point, and at least one spot to store something (hanger, open parking spot, revetment whatever.. Technically a tower and a fuel store and at least 1 ammo storage is optional, but it's wise to include the fuel like the manual at some point suggests. When you have the those units in place and want to 'make an airbase' out of it, all you have to do is select all the units and Group them. To switch between "Group view" and "Unit view", press V.

2 - Just insert a "single unit" airbase (select facility, start typing 'single' and it should bring up ones of various size, this is a self contained unit, attacking or having specific units of this airbase is not possible. IE option 1 lets every thing included in the airbase be targeted by the enemy, this option (2), generally does not allow that, the unit can only be attacked as a whole, and even then only by certain munitions or ai missions who will just randomly target sub-units of the 'single unit'

Custom airbase in unit view...

* The difference is AU\Unit count option 2 technically is just 1 unit, while the usual option 1 take up units that all have to be checked every second. Basically a way to either a) save time if the target isn't meant to be hit, and b) save cpu for huge scenarios in reducing some overhead.

quote:

but I cannot figure out how to position the planes on the ground at the particular airbase loaded with weapons & fuel.

? Do you mean put a plane in a specific parking spot, or just do the usual Aircraft Loadout setup? The first, you can't, well actually you can initially but that gets into using option 1 above and individually adding aircraft to specific hangers..etc. The later is as simple as access the loadout screen just as you would for the airbase ingame, so I'm confused by the question.

Adding aircraft to the new airbase, accessing configuration screen for new aircraft

Stuff is grayed out because you didn't add munitions, but can still force it.

Mags and Munitions entries...

Haha figures Whicker beat me to it while I drew up pics. :)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KnightHawk75 -- 9/30/2019 8:10:24 PM >

(in reply to donform)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario Editor Questions - 9/30/2019 10:41:25 PM   
Randomizer

First off, know when to use Single-Unit airfields and when to build one from the assorted facilities. Unless the airfield is a target for either the Player or the AI, use the single unit airfields to save effort.

Actually it is pretty easy to initially place your aircraft in your custom base in whatever facilities you like but it takes a bit more work and attention to the details. Let's say that you want twelve of your fighters in hardened shelters and the remainder in revetments but the tankers parked on the flight line.

First you need to examine the database to determine how big the fighters and tankers are. This is generally medium and extra-large respectively. Then determine whether you want single or shared facilities. A large hardened shelter will accommodate two medium aircraft but only one fits in a medium hardened shelter.

Create the custom airbase including runway(s), runway access points, buildings, magazines and fuel dumps and only enough of the suitable type of hardened shelters to accommodate your first 12-fighters.

In the Group View, add your a dozen fighters and all will happily park themselves in the hardened shelters.

Switch to the Unit View and add enough revetments only for the remaining fighters. Group them with the rest of the airfield. An easy way to do this is add the facilities in the Unit View, switch to the Group View and use SHIFT+Left Click to select all of the new facilities. Group them into the custom airfield using the "G" key. Add the remaining fighters and all will park in their revetments.

Add tarmac space for the tankers and repeat. The tankers will now be parked on the flight line (read tarmac) and out in the open.

Add the rest of the facilities as desired. Your airfield is complete and the aircraft are parked exactly where you want them.

The CMANO editor is very powerful and it would take far more than just a YouTube video to get much more than Knighthawk75 provided above. We learn how to do things by doing the things we are learning to do and this is really true for the editor. Dissect other people's scenarios and experiment. And do not get too wrapped up in the Event Editor or Lua until you're comfortable adding units, determining postures and building airfields/complex targets.

Just $0.02 CAD.

-C

(in reply to KnightHawk75)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario Editor Questions - 10/24/2019 1:15:43 AM   
donform

Thank all of you for your help. I have been able to figure it all out now.

(in reply to donform)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Scenario Editor Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI