Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit size and hex/time scale

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Unit size and hex/time scale Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit size and hex/time scale - 9/30/2019 11:05:28 AM   
StuccoFresco

Hello to all. Given normal conditions, so no stretching out to cover more front or concentrating for offensives, how much ground did cover a (say) German infantry regiment during WW2, on average?

I'm trying to decide the "right" hex and time scale for my scenarios, I'm torn between 2,5km per hex/6hours turns, and 5km per hex/12hours turns.

My scenarios usually feature 2 to 5 Corps per side, with 3 to 5 Divisions each, in maps that goes from 40x40 to 80x80. Every side has one or two of his Corps arriving during the battle, representing reinforcements and second-wave troops. THe maps usually represent portions of regions, or full regions in case of the bigger maps (80x80 and above).
Post #: 1
RE: Unit size and hex/time scale - 9/30/2019 12:15:47 PM   
Lobster

In the past I've done a search and it typically comes up with so many different theoretical rules that it's useless. I think the manual has some guidelines in the back.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit size and hex/time scale - 9/30/2019 4:52:03 PM   
Curtis Lemay

I generally use this paradigm for WWII:

Corps = 50km/hex
Divisions = 25km/hex
Regiments = 10km/hex
Battalions = 5km/hex
Companies = 2.5km/hex

With lots of exceptions, especially depending upon period (further back in time you go, the smaller the coverage per unit size).

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit size and hex/time scale - 10/1/2019 10:47:52 AM   
StuccoFresco

Mmmmh. If I use 10km per hex, maps would be huge, and they would require much more units to represent a conflict.

Since I prefere smaller-scale scenarios*, with circa 250 regiment/battalion sized units total as an ideal maximum, I guess it would be best to keep a 5km per hex/12 hours scale?

*to give some background, the scenarios I usually represent involve two regional powers contending a smaller one, with a local crisis that forces the two contenders to send considerable forces in the smaller country.

My first scenario, for example, has seen one country launching a blitz over a big river with an Assault Corps (4 divisions) and 2 artillery divisions against a small country's capital to overthrow the local government, and the other country defending it with a full Infantry Corps (5 divisions) and 3 to 5 local infantry divisions. For this scenario I used a 40x40 map.

I'm designing the follow-up scenario, with a 70x70 map and both sides sending 3 Corps each.

< Message edited by StuccoFresco -- 10/1/2019 10:54:19 AM >

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit size and hex/time scale - 10/1/2019 10:58:46 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

In the past I've done a search and it typically comes up with so many different theoretical rules that it's useless. I think the manual has some guidelines in the back.

Check, big differences IRL depending on terrain, visibility, etc.

Cheers

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Unit size and hex/time scale - 10/1/2019 11:25:28 AM   
Zovs

You don’t always need a unit in every hex, take a look at the Tobruck scenario for example, medium small map not enough units for every hex but it plays extremely well. Not every scenario needs to be East Front 4.0 with a unit in every hex.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Unit size and hex/time scale Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI