Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Scale and Supplies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario Scale and Supplies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 2:00:43 PM   
StuccoFresco

Hello to all, I've designed a little fictional scenario and I have several doubts about scale and supplies.

I have tested the scenario, and it works perfectly, I greatly enjoyed hotseating it and it ended roughly as expected. The only doubt I still have is about map scale and supplies. I'm using a scale of 2,5km per hex and 6-hours turns for a regimental-scale base unit and Corps-scale scenario as a whole.

I set up one Supply Point worth 44 points and a couple others worth 20 points for each side. The map is reasonably connected with rails and roads.

For example, one of the Supply Points' Origin with 44 supply value is in hex 39,0. There is an Improved Road that connects hex 39,1 (37 points here) to hex 25,8, but in that hex there is just 12 supply points available. In hex 38,0 there are 37 supply points and there is a railroad connecting to hex 25,7, where arrive only 9 supply points.

What am I doing wrong? It seems roads/rails don't transport supplies at all. Pic below:

< Message edited by StuccoFresco -- 9/29/2019 2:01:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 2:26:30 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: StuccoFresco

Hello to all, I've designed a little fictional scenario and I have several doubts about scale and supplies.

I have tested the scenario, and it works perfectly, I greatly enjoyed hotseating it and it ended roughly as expected. The only doubt I still have is about map scale and supplies. I'm using a scale of 2,5km per hex and 6-hours turns for a regimental-scale base unit and Corps-scale scenario as a whole.

I set up one Supply Point worth 44 points and a couple others worth 20 points for each side. The map is reasonably connected with rails and roads.

For example, one of the Supply Points' Origin with 44 supply value is in hex 39,0. There is an Improved Road that connects hex 39,1 (37 points here) to hex 25,8, but in that hex there is just 12 supply points available. In hex 38,0 there are 37 supply points and there is a railroad connecting to hex 25,7, where arrive only 9 supply points.

What am I doing wrong? It seems roads/rails don't transport supplies at all. Pic below:

I gather that your Force Supply Level was left at 100. Probably nothing wrong with that. Just be aware that if you change it, the supply values at those variable supply points will change accordingly.

For a rail line to broadcast supply, a supply point must be placed ON the rail line somewhere. Yours is not on that line. Therefore, no broadcast by rail.

Supply off rail will attenuate with distance. (How depends on whether you are using Old or New Supply rules.) The rate of attenuation is set by the Supply Radius. The default value is 3 - pretty short for a 2.5km hex scale. If you haven't changed that, consider doing so.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 2:37:40 PM   
StuccoFresco

Thanks for the tips, I'll change those values accordingly. What Supply Radius do you think I should be using?

Do Improved Roads broadcast supplies as well as rails?

I'm using New supply rules, by the way.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 2:52:46 PM   
StuccoFresco

I set it to 5, seems to work just fine:

Post #: 4
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 3:00:12 PM   
rhinobones

The secondary supply points are called “variable” supply points. When you assign a value of 20 it is actually providing 20% of the maximum 44 points. About 8 supply in the example you provided. If you want it to actually provide 20 supply you’ll need to up its value to 50, i.e. 50%.

9.1.7.19. Variable Supply Points
Under these New Supply Rules, designers can also set supply levels for supply points (either initially or through events) to values between 1-250%-of full.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 5
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 3:19:05 PM   
StuccoFresco

Aaah thanks, will adjust their values.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 3:32:03 PM   
StuccoFresco

Uhm, doesn't seem to work: the scenario just sets them to 50, so it seems it's a linear value and not a %.

Post #: 7
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 4:19:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Thanks for the tips, I'll change those values accordingly. What Supply Radius do you think I should be using?

Depends upon how supply was transported over land in your scenario. If by horse cart (WWI or earlier), then maybe no more 10-15km. If, however, by truck (WW II or later), then I usually use about 100-150 km.

quote:

Do Improved Roads broadcast supplies as well as rails?

I'm using New supply rules, by the way.

Except for rail, supply attenuates with distance. Old Supply is distance in hexes. New Supply is distance in movement points.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 8
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 5:17:47 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

Uhm, doesn't seem to work: the scenario just sets them to 50, so it seems it's a linear value and not a %.

I see what’s happening. It’s taking 50% of the full default value 100, not the 44. Sorry, I miss led you.

Regards

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 9
RE: Scenario Scale and Supplies - 9/29/2019 5:31:28 PM   
StuccoFresco

No problem, thanks for your help anyway ^^

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario Scale and Supplies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI