Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied strategies for Egypt and USSR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Allied strategies for Egypt and USSR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied strategies for Egypt and USSR - 9/29/2019 9:42:27 AM   
The Land

So I'm just wondering what 'good' strategies there are for the Allies in these places.

Egypt is fairly hopeless for the Allies because the Axis seem to inevitably have much higher readiness, as well as better tech and being able to concentrate more air. So the Allies have a decision about how much they want to draw out the whole thing - they can reinforce heavily and do strategic bombing and attacks on ports to slow the Axis down, but all of that is a big drain on Britain's resources.

Then for the USSR, is it better for the Russians to spam out garrisons so that the Germans have to spend more time taking resources and the resources end up being heavily damaged? Or is it better to husband the MPP to spend on (say) Armies that can end up forming strong fronts that might actually hold?
Post #: 1
RE: Allied strategies for Egypt and USSR - 9/29/2019 12:21:41 PM   
PvtBenjamin

My take

Egypt - Its essential the Brits put up a tough fight here. If you don't the Axis can eventually invade southern SU. Once the Arica Corp arrives the GB AA should be level 2, send 1-2 AA units. Try to build some fortifications with the French engineer, sometimes it stays (20%) and thats a great bonus. Upgrade HQ's. Against a sophisticated attack the Brits will have to retreat to Iraq/Iran. The supply gets much tougher for the Axis here and if you hold off long enuf the US arrives in southern Iraq.

SU - Research first which should last until Aug/Sept '40. Then start with Corps in main SU & Garrisons in remote (Finland) areas. You should be able to cover most front line cities with Corps & put existing Armies in key cities(NM/supply). focus on defensible positions (over rivers etc). When the Axis attacks SU should have lv 1 Inf wpns, lv 1 AA & close to inf warfare. Get them entrenched. Once the war starts combo research/corps& armies / high cost units (heavy tanks/HQ's etc). Also upgrade existing HQs.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied strategies for Egypt and USSR - 9/29/2019 11:55:35 PM   
Ktonos

In Egypt it is the absolute #2 priority to defend it. I've seen players facing strong Rommel and Sea Lion at the same time, choosing to sacrifice the islands instead of Egypt. It is true that Axis can choose to commit as much needed to win in Africa. But should he overcommit he will face serious problems in the #1 priority which of course is, the East. Should Egypt be lost you must absolutely stop Axis before Iraq, if he manages to blitz through there its almost game over.

Most games I've seen Axis stopped in Egypt it is because of a dedicated strat bombing from the Allies. Malta or no Malta, UK can be in a position to reduce most of the supply centers to below 2. This is where naval supremancy come into play, as if Reggia Marine dominates Med, this is very difficult to accomplice with only the UK Strat bomber.

As for the USSR, I've seen players use several tactics, but the most successful imo is: leave corps in forward cities and key towns so to reduce the time Axis spreads in ussr, never commit to a big battle before 1942. Never commit armor before 1943. Faint offensives but never commit. A/A, Inf weapons and warfare, Tank weapons & warfare and C&C are priorities. You can leave all air tech for later. Buy all HQs before the Siberian reinforcements arrive so you will be 2 above your HQ cap. Militia units are generally free xp for the enemy. They are best utilitated in northern Finland, to guard rear railway towns from paradrops. Of course if the opponent is very competent you can find yourself forced to buy them.

(in reply to PvtBenjamin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Allied strategies for Egypt and USSR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI