What Happened to Pearl Harbor?

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

canuckgamer

What Happened to Pearl Harbor?

Post by canuckgamer »

Playing my 3rd PBEM game, this time as the Allies. The Axis did not invade Russia in 1941 so Russia declared war on Germany in October 1941.
It is now the end of January 1942 and there hasn't been a Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor although last turn there was a news flash that they taken Singapore. The Americans are not yet in the war?
What is going on?
PvtBenjamin

RE: What Happened to Pearl Harbor?

Post by PvtBenjamin »

Is it possible you missed the attack?

Yes it is possible in the game that the Japanese who are allied with Germany can attack the US and the US doesn't declare war on Germany. If I recall Germany actually declared war first in the real war.

Personally I don't agree with this aspect of the game. Pearl Harbor = War with Germany no doubt about it.

canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Nope, didn't miss the attack and it is confirmed by the fact that in the diplomacy section the U.S. is sitting at something like 68%. In addition, I have had a transport of Yanks sitting in the Red Sea anticipating a December 41 Pearl Harbor attack and they can't land in any of the North African ports held by the Commonwealth.
This is definitely a bug in the game. If the Japanese have already invaded and taken Singapore it is obvious that only an attack on Pearl Harbor will trigger American entry.
El Condoro

Post by El Condoro »

I mentioned the same thing here and it was later than January 1942.

Given that it was Hitler who declared war on the USA to honor the Axis pact with Japan and not the other way around, historically PvtBenjamin is right, after Dec 7, 1941 Germany and the USA are at war.
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

In addition, I have had a transport of Yanks sitting in the Red Sea anticipating a December 41 Pearl Harbor attack and they can't land in any of the North African ports held by the Commonwealth.

Take note that if you sent US units overseas before US entry , you take a mobilization hit every turn. In game you ought to see a message in the lines of "US isolationists call for withdrawal of troops overseas", or something like that. The only exception is the first US destroyer you receive some time during 1941. If you sent anything else away from US soil you will take mob hit, and this might be the reason for the low mobilization.
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

Ok Ktonos, didn't know that, thanks for the info. I will have to send the transport back to the USA. I also moved a destroyer before the one you mentioned out to the one of the convoy routes so I guess I have to sail it back as well. However, you wouldn't think that it would affect the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbor.
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

No. If Pearl Harbor did not hit it is a bug. But I doubt there is such bug after so much development of the game. Much more possible you probably missed the message I think.
USA at 60-80% isn't unheard of even by May 1942. There are several things affecting it - eg Axis not DoWing Belgium rather letting it mobilize for the Allied next turn Netherlands are invaded. In general avoiding DoWs vs minors will keep the US mob down. Also I think the Pearl Harbor message comes in the end of Axis turn? Not sure. But if so, the Allied player would only see it as a mention in the messages (so no big "boom" and a screen of the raid popping up, which makes it easier to miss the message)
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

Could also be major country diplomacy, which I feel shouldn't be part of the game.

I understand the penalty for moving US troops/ships away from the US but also don't understand why its part of the game.

Its just a trap for new players. US troops/ships shouldn't be able to move far from mainland US before entry.

Also Axis blockading any port west of Bermuda should increase US mobilization towards Allies.

BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Did Singapore get activated by the British early via DE 105?

If they did say yes to this then Malaya will have joined the Allies in 1940.

What about all the other states in the Pacific like the Solomons, are they still neutral?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Ktonos

Post by Ktonos »

Bill I think you think this is a WaW thread, when it is for SC3
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

Bill

Need to get away?

[:)]
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Oh, I see what you mean! [:D]

All this mention of Pearl Harbor etc just threw me, particularly as I check the WAW and WiE forums at the same time! [:)]
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

All of the USA Mob hits are listed here, if you hadn't seen it:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4410258

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”