Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/21/2019 6:28:54 PM   
spinecruncher

One of the things I had a big problem with was the amount of time it took the AI. Like how long is it taking your AI to complete it's turn, 30 minutes? Another thing I dreaded was the land based units in China. I felt like having to control the Chinese units was a bit tedious. Still, I have been reading Pacific book and really getting my dander up.

I am wondering if the smaller scenarios offer any possibilities? Well, there is Guadalcanal.
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/21/2019 6:40:35 PM   
RangerJoe

The AI does not take that long, it really doesn't contemplate what it is going to do, it just does it.

Yes, the scenarios would be the best way to get into the game.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to spinecruncher)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/21/2019 6:41:59 PM   
BBfanboy

The smaller scenarios are fun, instructive and run very fast (the AI does not have to handle much land-based supply and fuel distribution).

Coral Sea is a good scenario for learning how to handle carrier battles.

Guadalcanal has carrier battles, surface combat battles, land combat, air battles and logistics.

The 1000 Mile War (Aleutians) scenario has surface combat, logistics, air battles and the possibility of land combat/amphibious landings.

Philippine Sea has a lot more ships and aircraft involved, a very tight timeline for arranging amphibious landings, lots of air combat and ASW, and the possibility of a massive carrier battle. Logistics are an essential part of the amphibious plans.

Downfall is a late war scenario setting up the invasion of Japan. Huge air battles including kamikazes, massive logistics and amphibious forces, lots of Allied ships and a few Japanese ships. You get to try a Strategic Bombing campaign too.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/21/2019 10:21:31 PM   
spinecruncher

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

The smaller scenarios are fun, instructive and run very fast (the AI does not have to handle much land-based supply and fuel distribution).

Guadalcanal has carrier battles, surface combat battles, land combat, air battles and logistics.

The 1000 Mile War (Aleutians) scenario has surface combat, logistics, air battles and the possibility of land combat/amphibious landings.

Philippine Sea has a lot more ships and aircraft involved, a very tight timeline for arranging amphibious landings, lots of air combat and ASW, and the possibility of a massive carrier battle. Logistics are an essential part of the amphibious plans.

Downfall is a late war scenario setting up the invasion of Japan. Huge air battles including kamikazes, massive logistics and amphibious forces, lots of Allied ships and a few Japanese ships. You get to try a Strategic Bombing campaign too.

Thank you

When I last played this title there was only the Coral Sea scenario that I am aware of. Are the add'l scenarios mods?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/21/2019 10:35:57 PM   
spinecruncher

Actually maybe I am not remembering correct? I though there was originally only Guadalcanal or campaign. but there is a lot more now. WHOOOHOO.

Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/22/2019 12:08:42 AM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Don't for grt the British campaign.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/22/2019 1:18:51 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The AI does not take that long, it really doesn't contemplate what it is going to do, it just does it.

No. The AI absolutely does look at the on-map situation and react, although yes, there are limitations. The tactical AI is not script driven and will react to situations, as they appear. Moved your TF within range of the AI's air units? The AI will notice and react - and will factor in things like "amount of CAP" (if any) protecting the TF. Moved a land unit within a hex of the AIs land units? The AI will notice and will calculate a response based on the size of the encroaching force. Does the AI review the results of it's morning (AM) "searches" and make decisions about whether and how to respond during the afternoon (PM) phase? Always.

Even the strategic AI (otherwise known as "the script") has triggers that shut down or enable particular sub-routines. You aren't playing against nothing here - the AI has to "contemplate" the situation, EVERY turn.

The limitations are that the AI can't "think" strategically in the same way it can tactically, so it will operate along certain predetermined pathways, and won't, for example, "see" an impending invasion of the Gilberts and figure out some way to gather enough forces to try and repel it.

It's "damning with faint praise", but if you play against the Japanese AI, it won't do much worse than the Japanese did historically, and might even be better.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/23/2019 4:13:02 PM   
pontiouspilot

It shouldn't take that long for an AI turn. You may want to "turn down" the game delay switches for combat resolution. I have very little delay on mine. I also Esc around other events to speed things up. The other possibility is that you could speed things up with different computer (versus game) settings. You may wish to discuss this in the Tech forum with people much more knowledgeable than me.

Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/23/2019 4:37:42 PM   
Kull

I just ran a test and it only took 2 and a half minutes between clicking "end turn" and the start of the Night Combat phase. So yes, the AI is very quick. The entire end turn process probably does take 30 minutes or more, but that's not because of the AI, it's due to all the "stuff" happening on the map during the turn resolution phase. Most of which you could turn off (which I wouldn't recommend) or shorten the delays, as per pontiouspilot's suggestion.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/23/2019 10:43:06 PM   
Will_L

I turn the animations and combat results off unless I am expecting a battle I want to see, takes about 3-4 minutes using "P" to speed things up on most turns.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... - 9/24/2019 2:58:35 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Against the AI I have animations off and just read the combat and SigInt reports. With my latest computer, it's pretty quick. It did used to take a while, though, 10 years ago.

Some of the ideas in Tech Support could help. Might be worth checking out, as Pontiouspilot says.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Will_L)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thinking of firing WITPAE up again, but.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI