Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Making Formations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Making Formations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making Formations - 9/21/2019 10:03:29 AM   
StuccoFresco

Hello to all, I'm making scenarios and I'd like to ask you guys some questions.

A) First of all: how to make formations. In the Force Editor it seems you have to create units in a specific order if you want to be able to attach them to formations, because the editor either makes you attach the unit to the latest formation or to a new one. No possibility to attach it to, say, the first formation in the list, right?

Is there a way to circumvent this?

B) Mostly, I intend on creating corps-sized scenarios. For simplicity, let's say every Corps will have 4 Divisions, a Support Brigade and 1 Corp HQ Btn. My goal is to make coordination between units a non-trivial factor, so you need to organize your forces instead of selecting whatever it is at hand with no repercussions.

Should I make different Formations for every Division? In this case Every Division will be Internal Support, the Support Brigades be Army Support and the Corps HQ be Army Support as well. In this example every unit has the same exact color scheme. This would be much more work since point (A) seems to imply i'll have to carefully create every division from scratch since there seems to be no way to copy a division without screwing up formations.

Or should I put every unit in the same Formation? In this case Every Division will be Army Support, the Support Brigades be Force Support and the Corps HQ be Force Support as well. Different Corps icons will have the same background color and different unit color. This makes coordination simpler and in single-corps scenarios effectively useless since every unit will cooperate at 100% every time.

C) Every Division will have Divisional HQ with 1 Command Group. I want Division HQ to be valuable, and losing the Group should have repercussions. The Corps HQ will have 4 Command Groups.

Now, the Divisional HQ will have 30 Support Squad, and the Corps HQ will have 80.

Are those good numbers for my formations? From the manual it seems they are, but how does it work? If the Corps HQ is in a different Formation than the various Divisions, how will it give its supply bonus?
Post #: 1
RE: Making Formations - 9/21/2019 11:05:15 AM   
sPzAbt653

For A, have you watched this one yet? It was done with III but it all still applies.

TOAW Tutorial - Creating new units and formations
For The Operational Art of War v3.4.1.9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGn4rK_TCQ8

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 2
RE: Making Formations - 9/21/2019 11:19:14 AM   
StuccoFresco

Oh man the "G+A" hotkey tip is marvelous!

I'll just create templates, then plop down every Division HQ with their own Formation, then copy it and G+A paste the other units' equipment into the HQ copies, so they automatically fall in the same formation!

But how comes something as VITAL as this doesn't have its own button???? This should definitely be highlighted in the editor, it should be EVIDENT!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Making Formations - 9/21/2019 11:25:36 AM   
StuccoFresco

WHOAH you can move units between formations just by right-clicking it!

Post #: 4
RE: Making Formations - 9/21/2019 11:28:55 AM   
StuccoFresco

You can apparently do the same with formations, but it looks very bugged and instead rearranges casualy ALL formations so it seems you really SHOULDN'T try to rearrange formations' order by right-click them.

Post #: 5
RE: Making Formations - 9/21/2019 11:57:54 AM   
sPzAbt653

Moving Formations is a big bug so I left it out of the video. It can be done but there is a process. I just went thru the D21 OOB and rearranged a lot of formations so it is possible, if you play by the rules. I'll see if I can find it somewhere so that I don't have to type it all over again.

See how easy and fun scenario design is !

Post #: 6
RE: Making Formations - 9/21/2019 12:00:43 PM   
StuccoFresco

Thanks for your replies, very informative. That was your video then? Liked it, very well done. Only problem is your voice seemed extremely low.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Making Formations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI