Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Explain these odds please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Explain these odds please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Explain these odds please - 9/20/2019 10:23:34 PM   
sveint

Full strength Soviet army at max readiness and morale, wanting to attack a fairly equivalent Axis unit.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Explain these odds please - 9/20/2019 10:27:37 PM   
sveint

Even better example. Supply 10 fresh army vs supply 5 slightly depleted Romanian army.... something is wrong. Zhukov is the attached commander.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sveint -- 9/20/2019 10:29:00 PM >

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 2
RE: Explain these odds please - 9/21/2019 12:58:23 AM   
Hubert Cater

Without setting up a similar situation on my end to test, my best guess here is the bit of experience both the Romanian Army and German Mech unit have relative to zero experience your Soviet Army has, plus the defensive artillery that the German units have that will fire at your Army first before it even has the chance to attack. The defensive artillery fire is calculated into your total expected losses for the combat.

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 3
RE: Explain these odds please - 9/21/2019 1:23:41 AM   
sveint

Thanks Hubert!

I've been paying a lot more attention to combat odds lately and the factors that effect them and this case stood out. I wasn't aware that partial experience (of a "star") affected combat results.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 4
RE: Explain these odds please - 9/21/2019 1:27:49 AM   
Christolos

This does look somewhat odd at first glance, but I am no expert in remembering the abbreviations shown in the combat panel, especially when 'LAA' doesn't even appear as one of them in the manual, section 3.5.5.1.

I believe there was a post at one time that explained the combat abbreviations and odds calculations? If so, I can't find it...
I understand the +25% for a prepared attack, but I also understand from reading the manual, that the odds could be even worse for the attacker, if artillery is involved, as it is not factored into the combat predictions as indicated in the manual, section 6.6.4.1.

So these two examples could be even worse.

An other curious aspect is that both defensive units have no entrenchment level...

Also, and maybe this may help to explain things, the first example is an infantry unit versus a mechanized unit, and in the second example, the Romanian army has a bit of experience...

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to sveint)
Post #: 5
RE: Explain these odds please - 9/21/2019 10:59:26 AM   
Mercutio

It would be nice to have a hover or small button that would show a more detailed explanation of the combat odds.

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Explain these odds please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI