Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is PBEM++ Working OK Now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? - 9/18/2019 11:23:35 AM   
Lobster

Early on there seemed to be some posts about the PBEM++ system not working properly. Is it doing a better job of managing games now?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"
Post #: 1
RE: Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? - 9/18/2019 11:30:55 AM   
Hellen_slith

Is that the same as "playing online"? Playing online truly is not working well at all as far as the "meta" aspects of it ... that is, yeah, you can play the game using online, but there are issues that need to be addressed by Slitherine or whoever runs that "meta" aspect of the game

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 9/18/2019 12:50:36 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 2
RE: Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? - 9/18/2019 12:23:53 PM   
Zovs

The PBEM++ system is working fine. I have had 3-5 games going with it and no issues really. Any issues seem to be stemmed from the most recent server updates it seems.

Playing online is pretty neat actually and it does work and is not broken. There perhaps are few glitches if you will but nothing horrible.

Some of the things I have noticed is that when a scenario is over/ended you don't get a review turn from what I can tell or my opponent never sent me one. Also when playing online after the games are over or resigned they disappear off the chart on the last tab.

But the PBEM++ system is working an is not broken.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 3
RE: Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? - 9/18/2019 12:41:33 PM   
Hellen_slith

The online play (to me) is lacking in some areas indeed, most especially in that:

end of scene issues: it seems Player 1 will not be able to see the splash "victory" screen unless Player 2 has the foresight to screen cap and send via email to Player 1

password issues: password protected challenges are not truly protected. Passwords are visible.

diplomatic pouch: the way it is, the messaging is too quirky and must be refined. Nothing worse than seeing a "message" only to see that is cut off and no EASY way to read the whole pouch...and not knowing that, typing a big long message that might never be seen in full.

and worst of all: getting an email from SLitherine when the game ends, saying that you can replay the last move. That is not true. If you can replay the last move, please tell me how.

These "online" issues may seem to be nit picking, but for players new to the game (and those are the ones you want to impress for retention and more sales through word of mouth) who want to "jump in" it, "online" play is sorely lacking as far as these meta aspects go. What's the first thing a new player might do? "Hey, look, you can play online!" only to find out that it suffers from these meta drawbacks.

Just my two cents! YMMV :)

< Message edited by Hellen_slith -- 9/18/2019 12:52:45 PM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 4
RE: Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? - 9/18/2019 1:42:46 PM   
Zovs

Well to be honest these are issues or improvements to be made but they are not game show stoppers.

Prior to even knowing about the PBEM++ system (at first I was like why would I ever want to play online) I did the old fashioned way (email and attach a file). When I decided to give PBEM++ a shot I found it was pretty decent to use and easy too. So everything you posted are not show stoppers but annoyances.

So really there are improvements to be added I have had 4-8 PBEM++ games going on this summer and we just work around this.

Issues/Enhancements for PBEM++
Diplomatic Pouch cuts off text, needs expanded text area
Replay last turn (from either end of game or resignation of game)
Allow Player One/Two to see Victory Screen

Again I don't see these as show stoppers but enhancements.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? - 9/18/2019 1:49:11 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Well to be honest these are issues or improvements to be made but they are not game show stoppers.

Issues/Enhancements for PBEM++
Diplomatic Pouch cuts off text, needs expanded text area
Replay last turn (from either end of game or resignation of game)
Allow Player One/Two to see Victory Screen

Again I don't see these as show stoppers but enhancements.

That is true, they aren't show stoppers, but improvements that are sorely needed. They have nothing to do with the game itself and its playability ... but everything to do with ease of use and appearance.

Especially the password reveal issue for online challenges.

YMMV!! :)

We can dream.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Is PBEM++ Working OK Now? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI