[WAD] Lasers cant engage land targets?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mikefolks

[WAD] Lasers cant engage land targets?

Post by mikefolks »

Hi guys, I've been messing around with trying to mount a laser on an AC-130, like the Advanced Tactical Laser.
Unfortunately, none of the laser weapons are able to engage land targets. Just wondering if this was intentional or not.

Cheers.

PS: Cant wait for Modern Operations!!
Primarchx

RE: Lasers cant engage land targets?

Post by Primarchx »

As I recall all the lasers in the game are just useful against air targets. Not many systems in place for anti-ground in service yet.
Raptorx7_slith

Post by Raptorx7_slith »

Those lasers aren't designed to take out tanks or people, they're designed to shoot down drones and fry cruise missiles.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

And small boats. If you want to have some fun, try zapping some Boghammers. I like to stick a laser on the back of a DDG-1000 for fun...
ORIGINAL: Raptorx7_slith

Those lasers aren't designed to take out tanks or people, they're designed to shoot down drones and fry cruise missiles.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Michael,

The above comments are correct. The current generation of laser weapons in the database targets
* aircraft,
* helicopters,
* missiles,
* C-RAM (Counter Rocket, Artillery and Mortar)
* some surface vessels.

As laser technology matures new capabilities will occur as needed.

Good question though,

-Wayne
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Geneva Conventions used to prohibit use of lasers to be used on people, at least in most cases, now it's more debatable:

http://www.weaponslaw.org/instruments/1 ... er-weapons

https://casebook.icrc.org/case-study/un ... el-weapons
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

mikefolks

Post by mikefolks »

Thanks for the replies guys. Yep, had a lot of fun mounting LaWS on an LCS and zapping Iranian PBs,
and figured if it can take out a boat, it would take out a jeep.
Glad its not just me stuffing up an update or something [:)]

Cheers
Tookatee

Post by Tookatee »

The only laser system I could ever see your recommendation being applicable to would be the AN/SEQ-3 LaWS (while other systems may have the capability to inflict damage, they lack the targeting software/hardware required to actually properly engage such targets), and even then it would be fringe cases of when a vessel (or some land based static emplacement equipped with the system) is close enough to another facility to engage it. While this could serve some sort of utility for fictional scenarios, it serves little purpose for any realistic scenario as the blue-water nature of the weapons system eliminates any possibility of it directly engaging any shore based targets.

Return to “Tech Support”