Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Scenario Ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Some Scenario Ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Scenario Ideas - 9/12/2019 3:46:30 PM   
Lukew

1 Sino Indian war circa 2016 based on the Vihek Ahuja novel Chimera. Units company/battalion level

2 Destruction of the Tawakalna Division26 - 27 February. Hourly turns. 1 hex = 1km

3 Battle of Medina Ridge. Same scales as above

4 Battle of Asal Uttar 1965

5 A selection of Russian Front tactical/operational level scenarios at divisional level (units approx. company size, hourly pr 3 hour turns. Mostly Operation Citadel South

Post #: 1
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/12/2019 5:28:41 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukew

5 A selection of Russian Front tactical/operational level scenarios at divisional level (units approx. company size, hourly pr 3 hour turns. Mostly Operation Citadel South

W/re/to #5, Glantz's book "Colossus Reborn" (a detailed examination of Barbarossa from the Russian side) has many, many "lesser known" battles described that might be good fodder for more scenes. I would list some, but I returned the book to the library a few weeks ago.

I would also like to add to this wish list, #6, the Texas - Mexican War of 1836. I tried to start to model that, but the scenario design effort was too much for me. I just like to play!

(in reply to Lukew)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/12/2019 6:18:14 PM   
76mm

quote:

3 Battle of Medina Ridge. Same scales as above

Actually I was in a tank unit at the "battle" of Medina Ridge. It was more of a turkey shoot than a battle and would not be close to an interesting scenario.

(in reply to Lukew)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/12/2019 6:54:51 PM   
Lukew

A fair point by 76nn. Maybe best combined with the Tawakalna Division fight. The Iraqis would have to be played by the AI and the Coalition player would have to get the mission completed with minimum losses and do at least as well as historically to win. Abd can VII Corps actually do better than they did?

There may be some other good Desert Storm scenarios such as trying out the One Corps Plan first considered, Khafji, the Iraqi against TAA Juno (see Jayhawk Corps)

While I am certainly interested in Desert Storm/Iraqi Freedom scenarios the Moderns side of things could use some more India - Pakistan and India - China scenarios

On the Russian Front I am presently reading Lawrence's monumental work on Kursk. There was a scenario on rugged Defence covering II SS Panzer Corps but a game covering the entire Army Group South portion of Citadel at battalion/company level would be spectacular.

Also, related to Kursk the battles on the River Mius July = early August might have a lot of tactical/operational level potential

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/12/2019 7:44:04 PM   
76mm

quote:

Abd can VII Corps actually do better than they did?

um, maybe, but IIRC almost all (if not all) of our vehicle losses in the "battle" were from friendly fire (not all of which hit the papers). I for one was certainly more afraid of A-10s than T-72s (to be clear, I was in the US Army .)

During the course of the war, IIRC my entire division (1AD) lost 5 men KIA, and at least a couple of those were from knuckleheads playing with hand grenades, etc. Kursk this was not.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 9/12/2019 7:50:08 PM >

(in reply to Lukew)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/12/2019 9:26:24 PM   
Lukew

I was thinking more along the lines of whether VII Corps could have cut off the Republican Guard. Was Franks' plan for a double envelopment ever a realistic option for example. Looking at the campaign histories the Republican Guard certainly stood and fought. The scenario would have to be balanced using points penalties in various ways. For instance the Iraqis get rewarded for withdrawing some of their more valuable units as it seems they were attempting to do. From the Iraqi perspective this is a rear-guard action/.

One might consider including the British actions going on at the same time and have a chance of1st Cavalry being made available as reinforcements (mot too large though as their arrival could unbalance a rear-guard battle too greatly.

As I said though another interesting scenario would be the One Corps Plan using XVIII Airborne Corps plus the Marines and British in an October/November 1990 scenario without the 6 weeks of aerial bombardment

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/13/2019 3:15:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

the Texas - Mexican War of 1836

I'm not familiar with that but took a quick look on Wiki, seems like a couple thousand from both sides involved for a couple of months.

The Mex-Am War was 1846-48, and a bigger affair. But as an historical simulation not much fun. Maybe it could be a game, but I'm no Avalon Hill. I did copy their Veracruz game to TOAW, but didn't seem as much fun as the original board game. I also did a Mex-Am scenario for TOAW [map seen below]. Neither ever saw the light of day. They just weren't much fun, no challenge. The Mexicans were big on training their peasant army to wear flashy uniforms and march around, but their equipment and combat training were terrible. They would more often run away when challenged. On the other hand the US had an 'army' of small groups of hardened frontiersman who weren't even scared of bears or 'wild savage injuns'. Plus, engagements ranged from 20,000 soldiers to a handful of men taking all of California. What a design mess!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 7
RE: Some Scenario Ideas - 9/14/2019 7:49:59 AM   
cathar1244

Nice looking map!

Cheers

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Some Scenario Ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI