Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AIO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AIO Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AIO - 9/10/2019 8:09:03 PM   
tenebre6

So is it possible to play against the AI now? or not. I keep reading different reports.
is the AI a mod or something?
Post #: 1
RE: AIO - 9/10/2019 10:01:36 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: tenebre6

So is it possible to play against the AI now? or not. I keep reading different reports.
is the AI a mod or something?

No - but the Netplay mode is currently behaving good enough to play (but do make gamesaves often, esp. between naval combats, and do not study the e.g. the pools form when the other is land moving - risc on getting out of sync). On a evening of play reloading is needed a couple of times. Other than that I enjoy playing with my opponent very much!

(in reply to tenebre6)
Post #: 2
RE: AIO - 9/10/2019 10:31:41 PM   
davidachamberlain

AI is a future enhancement - might get started before the end of the year, but who really knows how long it will take to make it real?

WIF is probably the most complicated board game I have seen short of Advanced Squad Leader.

AI for WIF has a lot of different variables, so I expect it won't be finished quickly.

AND I have trouble imagining that it would be as competitive as a person.

I find playing solitaire to actually be fairly good since the turn process gives you a chance to take the opposing point of view. That combined with the fog of war from dice roles for everything from weather and initiative and turn ending makes for a less predictable game.

Dave

(in reply to tenebre6)
Post #: 3
RE: AIO - 9/11/2019 6:52:04 AM   
tenebre6

I have and played the board version for years, and I agree an AI is a monumental undertaking :)
I generally played the paper version solitaire as it was so difficult to get someone together long enough to finish. so ... not much has changed there ;)

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 4
RE: AIO - 9/11/2019 8:27:07 AM   
lecrop

AIO is a very difficult and very long-term commitment, and IMHO I think it will never be a rival for a moderately competent human.

I prefer that efforts focus on preparing the half-map scenarios (Fascist Tide and Day of Infamy), and PBEM playing.

< Message edited by lecrop -- 9/11/2019 8:28:13 AM >

(in reply to tenebre6)
Post #: 5
RE: AIO - 9/11/2019 10:46:43 AM   
Divadov

Don't works for the moment!!!

(in reply to tenebre6)
Post #: 6
RE: AIO - 9/11/2019 11:56:59 AM   
RFalvo69

I honestly hope that they totally ditch the AI and focus all their energies in implementing the missing rules and squash bugs (both in game and in net play).

Trying to program a true AI for MWIF would be, IMHO, a hard labor which will end in a dead end anyway. It will only syphon energies from what I feel being the right path: giving the players a polished and complete single player/MP experience of MWIF.

Six years since this game was published. It is not the moment to take our eyes off the ball.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Divadov)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AIO Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI