Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should I buy this game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Should I buy this game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 2:12:21 PM   
Kevinorf

I have War in the East and War in the West. Enjoy both. I'm not a grognard but I found these games relatively easy to get into.

I know this game is massive and super deep.

Is it relatively easy to get into though? Are there smaller scenarios that help you learn? Is the interface similar to WiTE and WiTW or clunkier?
Post #: 1
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 2:36:20 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinorf

I have War in the East and War in the West. Enjoy both. I'm not a grognard but I found these games relatively easy to get into.

Is it relatively easy to get into though? Are there smaller scenarios that help you learn? Is the interface similar to WiTE and WiTW or clunkier?

There are a lot of similarities as WITPAE is based on the original WITP Gary Grigsby design.

However, the thing that makes the game such a monster is the time scale. War in the East and West have weekly turns. You can do three day turns in WITPAE, but you sacrifice a lot of control. Most player probably prefer the one day per turn option, which can make the game pace feel like herding glaciers. Plus, instead on just land and air forces, you have the huge naval and seaborne logistics component as well.

That being said, I found this game easier to get into than WITE or WITW. I struggle with War in the West in particular as it feels like you are playing two games in tandem. The strategic air war over Germany and the land struggle as well.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 2
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 2:59:37 PM   
RangerJoe

I don't know about the interfaces of the other games but there are scenarios used to learn the game. There are a lot of people to help as well.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 3
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 3:04:06 PM   
Trugrit

This is asked sometimes. The answer is not simple. It depends on you.

Some people find it easy to get into.
For others it is like a sharp stick in their eye.

It has small scenarios.

You need basic intelligence, slightly above average computer ability, attention to details, patience, persistence and the ability to read and understand.
Also, the ability to search for answers and not to give up.

It uses a WEGO system, which means you will sometimes be out of total control, like in real war.
Can you handle that?

Watch how it runs and see what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvfldZrFGpc

I posted this back in 2014:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4195034

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 4
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 3:27:34 PM   
Kursk1943

I played WitE for years mainy because I'm a history fanboy and a retired tank soldier. But then I got bored with it and fortunately remembered WitPAE. I enjoy doing the Allied side for nearly a year now being near the finish line (April 1945). I'm already looking forward to doing the Japanese side for the years to come.
It's an excellent game for war gamers, I strongly recommend it, it provides many happy game hours for small money.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 5
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 3:37:04 PM   
Shellshock

From an administrative viewpoint I've found always found War in the East more tedious to play. Which units to refit, what support level to assign to whichever corps/army/front/panzer army HQ. Keeping track of truck losses. Which factories to evacuate or not. What levels to set TOE at. Who's too fatigued to fight. Setting reserves. Rail lines to fix. Which airbases to disband or move or no. Which units to motorize. Where the hell my hundreds of combat support units are going? Which sapper or construction units to disband or build. Trying to keep partisans active or keep them down. Fort levels, air doctrine, attachments ...on and on.

Then eventually there is combat. Which in WITE is a function of movement unlike WITP.

If you can handle all that you can probably handle WITP. Especially the Japanese side where you do have to deal with factories and production more.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 6
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 4:12:57 PM   
Ian R

quote:

I have War in the East and War in the West.

I have those, meaning the original SPI boardgames. And WitP.

Any complaints about the play-ability of the computer version tends to fall on deaf ears.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 7
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 7:49:58 PM   
jagsdomain

I have never played war in east or west. In fact most hex games always seem the same to me no matter the era.
This is different because of the scale and its one day at a time. Having 1 day at a time really adds suspence to game that coyld be boring. You have to set everything up then hope it works.
Its a great investment. I spent a few bucks more to get the CD and the Book

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 8
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 8:03:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

I have never played war in east or west. In fact most hex games always seem the same to me no matter the era.
This is different because of the scale and its one day at a time. Having 1 day at a time really adds suspence to game that coyld be boring. You have to set everything up then hope it works.
Its a great investment. I spent a few bucks more to get the CD and the Book

The suspense comes not just from looming combat, but from trying to get all-important logistics done, knowing enemy subs and bomber and raiders could hit almost any time. You begin to feel like delivering a Base Force to a forward island is a decent victory!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 9
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 8:22:00 PM   
jagsdomain

For me the only frustrating thing is trying to get air and navel support units.
I just got all my crusier and dd force to Fiji and relised I dont have enough admin! So its on its way.
But that all part of the show.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 8:53:42 PM   
Kevinorf

Thanks for all the replies. I've played a lot of war games. I probably lean more toward the casual side, than the hardcore side, though I'm opposed to reading long manuals and delving into YouTube videos.

I was surprised at how accessible War in the East is. I didn't look under the hood of every unit, but I capably completed a number of the scenarios...

Still on the fence I guess...

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 11
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 9:45:53 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

I didn't look under the hood of every unit

That is the thing.

The fact that you did not look under the hood, or want to look under the hood, gives you your answer.

In WITP-AE you don't just have to look under the hood, you have to crawl under the whole car.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 12
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/8/2019 10:05:15 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Thanks for all the replies. I've played a lot of war games. I probably lean more toward the casual side, than the hardcore side, though I'm opposed to reading long manuals and delving into YouTube videos.

I was surprised at how accessible War in the East is. I didn't look under the hood of every unit, but I capably completed a number of the scenarios...

As long as it is not a picket, barbed wire, or an electrified fence as those can get painful.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 13
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/9/2019 3:07:18 AM   
pontiouspilot

Having played W in E I can tell that this is much more fun. W in E like watching paint dry. The only difference is the logistics...here via ocean not rail.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 14
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/10/2019 3:11:55 PM   
Yaab

quote:

The LCU component of WITP:AE is pretty straightforward. It is the air and ship component that is complex and unpredictable. And then there is the logistics over bodies of water.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 15
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/10/2019 3:40:44 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

quote:

The LCU component of WITP:AE is pretty straightforward. It is the air and ship component that is complex and unpredictable. And then there is the logistics over bodies of water.

Don't forget the randomness that can turn victory into defeat - or vice versa.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 16
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/10/2019 6:36:02 PM   
nashvillen

It will be the cheapest game time vs. dollar spent game you will ever purchase.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 17
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/10/2019 9:24:47 PM   
Dili

If you got easily into WiTE then you are grognard without the pain of being :)

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 18
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/11/2019 12:07:40 AM   
rustysi

quote:

I have those, meaning the original SPI boardgames.

Got 'em somewhere in the house too.

quote:

though I'm opposed to reading long manuals

If that's the case then this game is probably not for you. Not only do you need to read the manual, it should be read several times as there's tons of 'stuff' in the book. In addition to that there're loads of threads on this forum that should be read. Wait, I'm not done. After all that you should probably read several AAR's.

This game has a 'learning cliff', not a learning curve. Not to mention that its a real 'time vampire'. So if you're not 'all in' then you'd probably be better staying out.

OTOH, its the best wargame you can purchase for the price.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/12/2019 5:23:02 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 19
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/11/2019 11:32:48 AM   
HansBolter

Only if you are man enough to take it on.

Hans

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 20
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/11/2019 11:36:09 AM   
Yaab

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TURN!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 21
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/12/2019 5:24:05 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TURN!

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 22
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/13/2019 12:32:12 AM   
Rob322

quote:

Are you married? The all-consuming nature of the game is hard on a relationship. You can still order it but just remember if WITP wanted you to have a wife they would’ve issued you one.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 23
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/13/2019 8:55:40 AM   
Sardaukar

If you can wait a bit, Matrix often has WitP-AE on discount sale for Peal Harbor anniversary and Xmas.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 24
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/13/2019 12:30:45 PM   
jagsdomain

Lolol

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 25
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/13/2019 1:48:41 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob322

Are you married? The all-consuming nature of the game is hard on a relationship. You can still order it but just remember if WITP wanted you to have a wife they would’ve issued you one.

This is a good point.

The game is perfect for a long haul diplomatic package courier who has a lot of time waiting/transiting.

And a USB point handy.

"You may find that having is not so nearly pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
- Cdr Spock

Ian R

(in reply to Rob322)
Post #: 26
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/15/2019 7:54:59 PM   
Hammock

does this game follow a historical script or can the user decide his own objectives?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 27
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/15/2019 9:08:16 PM   
RangerJoe

You can decide what you want to do. As Japan, you can decide not to attack the Allies but they will attack you.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 28
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/15/2019 9:21:48 PM   
Hammock

Thanks for the reply! I was looking at CMANO and we was thinking of getting that game and then they announce CMO which is going to be down the road a bit so I figured I would take a look at this one. I've always enjoyed most everything ww2.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 29
RE: Should I buy this game? - 9/16/2019 9:28:06 AM   
LeeChard

The game works well in my marriage. It keeps me out of the pub

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Should I buy this game? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI