Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Amphibious and air drops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Amphibious and air drops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Amphibious and air drops - 9/4/2019 10:36:53 AM   
tonyscrase

Hi

Amphibious invasions and air drops combat are very complex for the average player

Are there any examples of amphibious or air drops Or are there any good players willing to do an example !!

Thank you

Tony
Post #: 1
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/4/2019 3:08:41 PM   
Q-Ball

They are actually pretty simple; if you are having difficulty executing them, it may be because you are not trying in the correct phase. IIRC, both are in the movement phase, but I am not 100% sure. Just check the units to make sure the "DROP" or "INVADE" buttons are active. A few tips:

On Airdrops:
--Keep alot of transport aircraft near, or in the same hex, as the Para unit. If you are Soviet, you will need all the lift capacity in the VVS to drop 3 Para Bdes. Also, you can't airdrop Airborne Guards Div.
--Note that brigades are likely to drift; accuracy is an issue. Be prepared for disasters, or drop multiple units if you really want a particular hex
--Overall, I think Paras have limited usefulness for Soviets; mostly to cut a retreat path when you are attempting a breakthrough
--You need a couple turns to plan; park Para on airbase, pick the hex you are planning to drop on, and wait for the prep to rise above 50. It rises pretty fast, so you may as well wait until it's 95

On Invasions:
--Stack 1 or 2 division in a port with the Amphib unit; pick an invasion hex, and prep for it
--Prep for Invasions is very slow; if you use 2 divisions, it will take a long time, because the only decent port is Sevastopol. By the time you get Odessa, you probably don't need to invade things. Also, it's Black Sea only
--Recon ahead before you land in a port hex. A good Axis player will build a Fort Unit in every port for this reason, and you don't want to land on that.

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 2
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/5/2019 3:01:38 AM   
cfulbright

Assuming you're playing Allies in WitW and not Germans or Russians in WitE:

Amphibious prep point build up is a factor of 1) port size, and 2) unit(s) size. So if you put a single brigade and a TF in a size 6 port in Tunis or Portsmouth, your unit will build up prep points much more quickly than if you put two divisions and a TF in a size 2 port.

Contrary to what the tutorials say, I do NOT put additional units at sea just off the landing beaches. If you do that, they will suffer heavy casualities. Instead, I put those units to sea but then put them back in their ports where they're safe. That way you incur the naval boarding cost the turn before the actual invasion.

Cary

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 3
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/5/2019 10:01:12 AM   
tonyscrase

Hi

Thank you for your input. I was hoping for a bit more detail regarding the various losses that effect Amphibious transport. I set them off and hope for the best without really understanding what casualties they might suffer.

Thank you

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 4
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/5/2019 12:54:23 PM   
budd

Did you look at the tutorial videos that came with game? I believe they download with the game install. They dont get into a lot of detail beyond how to do amphib/airdrops.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk5K-IfEIqTvoRt4w91xz5rnAUOXFVlba

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 5
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/5/2019 3:57:45 PM   
cfulbright

Tony,

I believe some of that is in the manual.

Naval Interdiction, both friendly and enemy, which you can see by pressing Shift-u, is the key driver. You achieve high friendly naval interdiction by flying Naval Patrol AD's over the area. You reduce enemy naval interdiction by flying Air Superiority AD's over the area.

Presence of a port in or near the hex, and level of damage to that port facility is another of the drivers on losses. It's a trade-off between bombing the port before/during the invasion turn to reduce casualties v. trying to avoid damaging the port so it can be fully functional sooner.

Cary

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 6
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/8/2019 4:45:44 PM   
cfulbright

Tony,

Did I answer your question?

Cary

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 7
RE: Amphibious and air drops - 9/11/2019 8:29:17 PM   
tonyscrase

THANK YOU VERY HELPFUL

(in reply to cfulbright)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Amphibious and air drops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI