Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

80 years ago started the Strange war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 80 years ago started the Strange war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/3/2019 5:51:50 AM   
Mind

The Strange war (The Phoney war) was began with the declaration of war by UK and France against Nazi Germany on 3 September after German army invaded Poland. After that French troops invaded Germany's Saar district and... unexpectedly stopped... I have four questions:
1. In your opinion why it happened? UK together with France were much stronger at that time in almost every aspect
2. In your opinion did Poland have any real chance standing up against German troops? I heard their troops held positions along all border and too close it. What do you think about the Soviet role?
3. Which Matrix games best recreate events of beginning of WW2? TOAW? Decisive Campaigns: BfWtP? SCWWII WiE?
4. Which movies are related to that period of WW2? I know only 1939 Battle of Westerplatte movie
Post #: 1
RE: 80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/3/2019 6:03:57 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mind

The Strange war (The Phoney war) was began with the declaration of war by UK and France against Nazi Germany on 3 September after German army invaded Poland. After that French troops invaded Germany's Saar district and... unexpectedly stopped... I have four questions:
1. In your opinion why it happened? UK together with France were much stronger at that time in almost every aspect
2. In your opinion did Poland have any real chance standing up against German troops? I heard their troops held positions along all border and too close it. What do you think about the Soviet role?
3. Which Matrix games best recreate events of beginning of WW2? TOAW? Decisive Campaigns: BfWtP? SCWWII WiE?
4. Which movies are related to that period of WW2? I know only 1939 Battle of Westerplatte movie
warspite1

1. Britain and France were simply not prepared to go to war in 1939. The BEF was not in France at the time and needed time to sail over and get ready for offensive action (and would only be a small contribution in any case). Poland was gone by then. Any proper attack from the west would need to come from the French Army. They too needed time to fully mobilise, but even then, the French Army, run by old men who simply didn't understand modern warfare, was geared to defence behind the Maginot Line - not to fight an offensive war. The French 'invasion' was more a reconnaissance in force. The British and French plan was to wait while they built up strength due to their better economic position - and by 1941 would be much stronger than Germany. Remember too that The Western Allies had been suckered into believing the Germans were stronger than they actually were.

2. The Poles had little chance against the Germans - and by the time the Soviets got involved it was pretty much over. The Poles have been criticised for their deployment but they didn't have much choice. They had to do two things: protect the industrial areas of the west and allow time for the call up of reserves and complete mobilisation. These precluded a more easterly defence.

3. Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris was great fun

4. I don't know of any

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/3/2019 6:41:19 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Mind)
Post #: 2
RE: 80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/3/2019 10:01:46 AM   
Mind

Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris is interesting choice, but are you able to play it for both sides?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 3
RE: 80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/3/2019 3:58:40 PM   
warspite1

Yes you can. Here is an AAR from the Allied pov. Sadly technical gremlins stopped me taking it to the wire but it was absolutely great fun!

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4321521&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Mind)
Post #: 4
RE: 80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/3/2019 5:18:27 PM   
Zovs

Thanks warspite love your AARs, don’t sell yourself short

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: 80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/6/2019 4:34:11 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs

Thanks warspite love your AARs, don’t sell yourself short
warspite1

Cheers Zovs

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 6
RE: 80 years ago started the Strange war - 9/6/2019 6:20:04 AM   
RFalvo69

I would add World War II Europe 1939-1945 by Schwerpunkt Games. As of now there is still a dozen of missing scenarios (mostly the big campaigns), but all the early period is covered. (*)

(*) Don’t be put off by the fact that the game is still “unfinished”. The engine works, has both SP and MP, and some scenarios are bigger than other “finished” games.

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 80 years ago started the Strange war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI