Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Contact 1957 and 1973

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> First Contact 1957 and 1973 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Contact 1957 and 1973 - 9/2/2019 8:58:05 PM   
fitzpatv

These two scenarios are part of a series of four, which pit Norwegian MTBs (and other vessels) against their Soviet counterparts off the North Cape.

The first one is set in 1957 and features gun-armed ships not far removed from those in WW2. The Norwegians have two destroyers, a frigate and 6 MTBs, the Russians two frigates and 6 MTBs. The Norwegian destroyer Stavanger is much the most powerful ship involved, but starts well to the West of the initial action. The Soviet frigates are outclassed by their adversaries, but their forces start better-concentrated and their MTBs can fire backwards and forwards, while the Norwegian Bofors guns on some MTBs only fire backwards!. The Russians also benefit from superior radar.

You can play both scenarios as either side. In 1957, I tried the Norwegians first, aiming to shadow the Russians with my Easternmost pair of boats until I could concentrate forces and bring the Stavanger to bear. Didn't co-ordinate this well enough and got involved in a chaotic affray which saw 4 Norwegian and all 6 Soviet MTBs destroyed. As my surviving boats fell back, Stavanger came-up and sank an enemy frigate with range advantage. This ended the game as a Triumph with a score of 800. Losses don't matter and it's all about sinking as many of the enemy as possible. In truth, some kind of morale rule would have improved things, as it was carnage out there!

Not easy as the Soviets. In fact, so far as I can tell, the best you can do is an Average score, as the scenario ends when all 6 Norwegian MTBs are sunk. Did this without losing a single boat by concentrating against the scattered Scandinavians, but didn't fancy engaging the destroyer squadron and, indeed, wasn't allowed to, due to the game ending.

Fast-forward to 1973 and both sides are using missile boats. Norway has eight of these, plus a pair of outmoded torpedo-only craft that are only good for scouting, while the USSR fields six, with two supporting destroyers which, paradoxically, have only short-range Goa missiles and are best-advised to stand clear.

Again, losses don't matter and it's a bloodbath, with little ships wielding big weapons. Things started badly for me as Norway and, at one stage, I was 5-3 down on MTB sinkings. However, by conserving missiles, I was able to take advantage of the Russian Osa boats running out of ammo and polish-off the last three, then sink both destroyers to win by a Triumph with a score of 1,100. The destroyers have 630DP, which suggests seven Penguin missiles (75DP) would be required to sink one but, in practice, four seem to be enough.

It could have been comfortable as the Soviets, as I made the most of the longer range of the Styx missile, compared to the Norwegian Penguin, to get the drop on my opponents. However, having disposed of the two older torpedo craft, I then suffered from a chronic run of inaccurate shots. This enabled the enemy to get within range and I eventually had to settle for sinking six boats for the loss of three, plus damage to a destroyer, which is only an Average result, with a score of 900. I could have gone looking for the other four Norwegian boats but, as they had full loads of missiles and I was down to the shorter range Goas on the destroyers, I deemed this too risky and disengaged.

Had some problems in the 1973 scenario with being unable to fire Goa missiles because the target wasn't in the weapon's DLZ. Never really worked-out what this meant, but the problem eventually resolved itself. Perhaps I needed to be a distance inside my maximum range?
Post #: 1
RE: First Contact 1957 and 1973 - 9/3/2019 1:45:08 PM   
Eboreg

DLZ is the Designated Launch Zone, something which calculates your enemy's distance, course, speed, and maneuverability to see if they can get out of range of the weapon in question before it reaches them.

Of course, I've found that enemy SAM batteries tend not to pay attention to this zone, much to their detriment.

(in reply to fitzpatv)
Post #: 2
RE: First Contact 1957 and 1973 - 10/5/2019 7:11:15 PM   
fitzpatv

Thanks for the info.

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> After Action Report >> First Contact 1957 and 1973 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI