Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blitzkrieg 1950

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Blitzkrieg 1950 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blitzkrieg 1950 - 8/27/2019 7:33:11 AM   
StuccoFresco

This is an hypothetical scenario with symmetrical map and units, so it's supposed to be a balanced campaign featuring naval, air and land warfare, with a sprinkle of "economy" due to bonus to reinforcements tied to strategic locations.

FIRST TURNS
Both militaries advances into neutral and friendly countries. Blue military seems to be a bit spread out, and it takes a bit too much losses and time to take cities. Numerous air raids, including airport strikes; my aviation downs a lot of bombers, albeit my own losses are significant.

My own advance is a bit more organized, taking White and Black with negligible losses and keeping my Corps in cohesion. I focus on air superiority, downing way more enemy planes. I keep some of my medium bombers on Interdiction strikes, but with little effect. I want to whittle down their own aviation first.

I decide to hold the northern front with just the 1st Corps and some elements of 1st Army. There is a long stretch of desert before the next Yellow city, I don't expect the enemy to push seriously there and I don't want to waste too many troops to defend from weak attacks.

The central area will be crucial, so I put 2nd, 8th, 10th and 19th Corps there, behind the river encompassing the area, with my Tank Corps in reserve. In Turn 4 the enemy swarms Brown territory making contact with my MLR over the river. One of their heavy armored division tries to exploit a gap in the line, but it was a trap: just behind my Tank Corps was waiting for them, and I can quickly encircle and destroy it. In the first pitched land battle of the war, Red claims a crushing victory.

The Green territory is another strategic area, being it my ally and placed on the most direct route to enemy capital. I intend to defend it if possible, so I send 5th, 30th and the Marine Corps to defend it, alongside with a LOT of heavy artillery of the 2nd and 3rd Army. I place this strong concentration of forces around EE-34.

The Blue Navy makes a run for it, attacking mine in front of an ex-Black port. Thankfully, my ships hold their own and during several turns of fierce battle they ultimately kill the Blue Navy off. In Turn 4 the enemy aviation tries to destroy my ships from the air, but in a series of MASSIVE air battles (hundreds of bombers, thousands of fighters for each side) I emerge victorius.

TURN 5
Blue advance is in full effect in central Brown area, but rather disorganized: I manage to encircle an Infantry Division that made contact with the southern arm of the MLR, supported only by a single artillery Division. My troops are digging trenches behind the river, with few gaps guarded by armored divisions.

An armored assault along the northern coast is similarily isolated, and the attacking unit encircled and destroyed.

The Blues also strikes deep in Green territory, making contact with my positions around EE-34 and flanking them with several divisions that manage to slip south hugging the western coast. Fortunately I have several reserves there, and with the help of heavy artillery I manage to cut the enemy front and maybe cut off supplies to the troops headed south toward CC-39 and AA-42. Infantry reinforcements are inbound, but the enemy penetration is worrisome and I have to hope they will turn back north to try and break the encirclement.

Post #: 1
RE: Blitzkrieg 1950 - 8/27/2019 11:35:23 AM   
StuccoFresco

TURN 6
The enemy units "isolated" in Green territory aren't isolated: a coastal supply point supports them, so I have to use my reserves to push them farther south and capture the port. The offensive is spearheaded by several armored divisions, and manages to both take the port and fragment a couple Infantry Divisions, pushing them south. Next turn they, along with the armored division further south, should be out of supply. CC-39's defenses are strenghtened with fresh infantry from the reserves.

More Blue divisions fill the Brown plains. I put more reserves behind the MLR.

Three Infantry Divisions are moving through the northern desert, between the northern edge of the central MLR and my positions around White capital. I send mobile forces to cut their supply lines. Let them enjoy the desert for a turn.

The enemy is using hundreds of planes in support combat missions: every battle is pestered by airstrikes.

TURN 7
Blue's "Desert Force" splits up; what's left of two Inf Div and an HQ tries a run for White capital, only to be surrounded by the 1st Corps.

In the central front I plan the encirclement and annihilation of an Inf Div that has again advanced against the southern line with few support. Enemy pressure is bigger against the eastern side. Makes sense: my capital is almost directly east of my MLR. But no problem: defenses are dense and reserves are ready. The projected encirclement is even better than anticipated, and also traps a Marine Div, destroying it along with the Infantry one. Enemy armored forces slightly east seems to be vulnerable to a flanking move; I'll evaluate the possibility next turn.

In Green territory, things are looking good: despite the enemy being still in supply trough a single port, I've isolated two Inf Div on the coast, and the fragmented units I defeated last turn will be attacked again. Enemy lines have been thinned just north of EE-34, making a general counteroffensive maybe viable.

Enemy airforce keeps losing way more planes than me. This turn has been 152 losses vs 490 wins for me, making this the turns with more losses for the enemy. How long will the Blues be able to afford this kind of attrition?

TURN 8
Enemy forces seems to converge toward White, crossing the desert in numbers. I have to quickly eliminate the two Inf Div in the pocket and reorganize my defenses. 9Th Corps has just arrived as reinforcement and it's being sent north.

In the center, I execute a double pincer move, encircling three armored units: an Heavy Armor Div, a Mechanized Div and an Armored one. A single Inf Div tries to flank the northern edge, but it's beaten back.

The Green area is seeing the end of the cutoff Blue units: an infantry pocket is being destroyed, the armored unit is out of supplies and the fragemented units are again under attack. North of EE-34 the enemy has amassed more troops so a general counteroffensive is out of question until I eliminate all the resistence south and move troops back north.

Air war losses/wins: 138-279.

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 2
RE: Blitzkrieg 1950 - 8/28/2019 12:36:36 AM   
larryfulkerson

Are you playing the PO or do you have an opponent? This is cool, thanks for the AAR.

there's two things that everyone needs to know: (1) 90% of the human race lives near the coast. (2) human beings can't breathe under water.

Post #: 3
RE: Blitzkrieg 1950 - 8/28/2019 5:06:19 AM   
StuccoFresco

I'm playing against the PO.

TURN 9
Blues make several (weak) attempt to relieve their armored forces trapped in the center, in vain. The stranglehold is too strong, and I start reducing the pocket. By the end of the turn the three armored units cease to exist, and my own armored spearhead is in a good spot for a general counteroffensive.

Up north, their advance seems erratic, and no attack is attempted on White, neither on the northern edge of my central MLR.

In the Green zone, I eliminate the last pockets in the south and prepare my troops for a general counteroffensive on this front too.

Air war was fierce this turn: 303 losses vs 735 wins.

TURN 10
Two big pincer moves are launched in the center, hoping to trap and eliminate more units and lead to a bigger breakthrough.

In the north, another armored unit that pursued one of my scout battalions has been encircled and eliminated with a swift counterattack. More Blues in the desert.

Air war loss/wins: 170-570.

TURN 11
Local counterattacks hit the enemy lines almost everywhere. Blues seems to be in disarray and are trying to concentrate troops behind the main contact lines, but it's dubious that will save their frontline troops. They are also concentrating troops in the middle of the northern desert, which doesn't seem a smart idea to me.

Air war slowed down at 19-97.

TURNS 12 to 15
Despite some victory, Green front doesn't move that much: the enemy is quick to reinforce the frontlines as soon as I try to encircle something or punch through. I pull off a single encirclement, then it's again a stalemate.

Northern coast sees other half-assed Blue attacks, that invariably results in quick encirclements and the loss of more divisions. The march through the desert softens up Blue troops considerably and they always arrive without necessary support.

In the Brown plains, I'm slowly encircling and destroying entire divisions at once. Blue front is crumbling, and I'll soon be able to swarm the entire area and reach the Blue's heartland.

Enemy aviation seems to be finally broken, so I switch more planes to interdiction.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: Blitzkrieg 1950 - 9/10/2019 4:50:46 PM   
StuccoFresco

TURN 16
Enemy aviation is back with a vengeance, but I still hold the skies and their interference is not that bad. The full-scale counteroffensive in Brown plains is in motion, and the Blues are getting their units kicked all over the grassy fields. Brown ex-capital is already fallen, OO-30 is encircled.

Up north I decided to launch a counteroffensive along the coast, overrunning several HQ and Artillery units down the road.

I also launched an offensive through Green territory, threatening to encircle strong Blue forces on the coast.

TURNS 17-22
Red units are advancing on all fronts and the war seems already decided. Brown region has been overrun and my divisions are swarming westward, encircling or overrunning enemy resistence. Enemy aviation tries to stem the tide, but my own planes inflict serious losses.

In the north, scout elements of the 1st Army reach U-11, that is however defended and can't be taken for now, since there are enemy armored elements SE of the city and I don't want to overextend.

The Blues are trying to form another MLR around Yellow's capital and Y-27, but my units are already overrunning it. The 5th and 2nd Corps break through enemy lines and prepares for an attack on the two cities. The 8th and the Tank Corps are preparing a flanking move north of Yellow's capital as well.

In his turn, Blue command sees through the move and seems to decide to abandon Yellow territory altogather, maybe to form a more solid MLR further West and Southwest.

TURN 23
Y-27 is taken with the help of the Marine Corps, and Operation Beheading is launched: its objective is the taking of Blue Capital, and the forces assigned to the task are the 4th, 5h, 7th and 30th Corps, along with the Army Reserve, 2nd and 3rd Artillery Army and the 12th Air Corps.

Around Yellow Capital another big concentration of units is given the task of launching Operation Centerpoint, whose objective is the conquest of Yellow Capital itself, Q-16 and maybe an offensive toward L-16 if possible. The same turn, the Tank Corps close the western approaches to the city, completing its encirclement.

The 1st and 9th Corps are tasked with the conquest of U-11 on the northern coast and with helping cover the northern flank of Operation Centerpoint.

Post #: 5
RE: Blitzkrieg 1950 - 9/13/2019 5:51:09 PM   
StuccoFresco

TURN 24
Intel reports points out a lot of redeployement of Blue units from the Yellow front toward the Blue Capital. This may mean that Operation Centerpoint will face less opposition, but that Operation Beheading may face more, so the 2nd Corps is reassigned from the former to the latter.

In the north, U-11 is conquered, and given the inconsistency of enemy forces along the northern coast, I decide to expand the mission of the 1st and 9th Corps launching Operation Blizzard, that will give them the conquest of G-4 as next objective.

Operation Centerpoint keeps going strong, isolating a mechanized force E of Q-16 and moving toward the city.

Operation Beheading has reached S-25 with the bulk of the troops, while 4th Corps guards the left flank and it's engaging an enemy Armored Division north of V-33.

The enemy is destroying every bridge on my path, so in the last turns I have army engineers running everywhere repairing them. Railroad Engineers have been repairing railroads since turn 1, but until 15th turn or so their "normal" colleagues were just wandering around helping with fortifications. Now they have a sizeable task at hand and are performing well.

TURN 25
The Blues are in disarray, and can't even counterattack my forward units, relying only on artillery bombardments.

Operation Centerpoint reaches Q-16, and given that only light enemy forces are seen, 10th Corps is reassigned to Operation Beheading, whose front has seen a thickening of enemy lines. The left flank is secured by the encirclement of enemy's 6th Armored Division by the 4th Corps. Armored elements are helping the Marine Corps encircling other enemy troops SE of S-25, that has been encircled and it's about to fall. The 2nd Corps is trying to encircle an enemy Inf Division NW of the town.

TURN 26
The enemy is desperately trying to defend its capital, but Operation Beheading is going strong, and more pockets of resistence are beaten back or encircled. The 4th Corps is conducting a separated offensive against V-33, and surrounds it. 2Nd Corps and the 12th Air Corps are attacking L-19. The main thrust toward Blue Capital has slowed, given the amount of Blue units concentrated just NE of the city, but is still advancing and trying to fragment the enemy lines. The powerful Blue 1st Heavy Armored Division is encircled by the coordinated efforts of three different Corps.

The Army Reserve is trying a flanking attack on the enemy lines, but it may be redirected south to exploit an apparent gap that could diretcly lead to the western outskirts of the Blue Capital, bypassing the enemy MLR.

Q-16 is partially occupied already, and in this turn it finally falls. Operation Centerpoint gains new objectives: M-14 and I-12. The former is quickly encircled, and elements of the Tank Corps rush forward to the outskirts of I-12.

Operation Blizzard is waiting for the elimination of the remains of the enemy 4th Armored Division, encircled north of Q-16.

Post #: 6
RE: Blitzkrieg 1950 - 9/13/2019 5:54:14 PM   
StuccoFresco

TURNS 27-30
Despite heavy resistence, 5th Corps penetrates in the SE outskirts of the Blue capital. With enemy resistence crumbling everywhere else, the decisive battle is being fought in the Capital area, where the Blues have concentrated everything they have trying to somehow turn the tide.

With 4th, 5th and 30th Corps approaching downtown from E and NE, and more forces arriving from the entire northern and western arc, Blue government decides to surrender at the start of the 30th Turn.

The war has been won in Brown region, where I weathered the first hasty Blue attacks on my MLRs behind the rivers, then counterattacked and encircled their best units, expecially the armored ones. After that, I almost always enjoyed numerical superiority and I could apply overwhelming force in every battle. Blue resistence in the Green region was harder to break because the isthmus restricted my ability to maneuver and flank, and also it was the area closest to Blue Capital so the enemy could quickly send reinforcements.

The northern coast has seen probably the worst-planned Blue offensives: a couple or even a single unit sent head-on against superior defenders, that got invariably encircled and destroyed. After the failed assaults at White Capital, the enemy never really bothered defending the coast, and mostly tried to slow my inexorable advance in the center of the map. To no avail.

The air war was the most balanced: despite suffering more losses, the enemy didn't get slaughtered like during the ground war.

The naval warfare was severely underwhelming: both navies were tiny, attracted a lot of air attacks, and didn't get replacements for their losses, so after a few turns they became a non-factor.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> Blitzkrieg 1950 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI