Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Chernobyl on ice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Chernobyl on ice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Chernobyl on ice - 8/23/2019 2:33:54 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

or is it nuclear Titanic??

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/russia-launches-floating-nuclear-reactor-in-arctic-despite-warnings/ar-AAGd5px?ocid=ientp

Post #: 1
RE: OT: Chernobyl on ice - 8/23/2019 2:41:23 PM   
Chickenboy

You know, it's not a terrible idea. The concept of using shipborne nuclear plants to supplement fixed land-based energy needs (e.g., after a natural disaster) has been discussed and has interesting potential. The Greenpeace spokesperson was disingenuously critical-my guess is that there is *no* nuclear energy source that would be satisfactory to them, whether land-based or otherwise. And telling the Russians to just put up some wind turbines in the middle of nowhere is not exactly a practical suggestion.

Now, having said that, the Soviets...erm...Russians don't exactly have a stellar track record with nuclear safety lately. And by lately, I mean since the atom was first split. Sticking a reactor on a barge in the arctic ocean strikes me as an unnecessarily risky prospect.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Chernobyl on ice - 8/23/2019 2:47:26 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Yep, they had these big nuclear cruisers built during the Soviet era, it is just their poor track record on nuclear accidents and also in cleaning up their mess. I believe it was the US or Europe who had to pay to decommission the vast nuclear submarine red navy fleet. Otherwise there would be many derelict dangerous soviet era submarines leaking radiation for the next thousand years

Besides... are they using nuclear energy for ~5,000 people? a few conventional generators might suffice at less cost

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 8/23/2019 2:48:45 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Chernobyl on ice - 8/23/2019 6:16:11 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

You know, it's not a terrible idea. The concept of using shipborne nuclear plants to supplement fixed land-based energy needs (e.g., after a natural disaster) has been discussed and has interesting potential. The Greenpeace spokesperson was disingenuously critical-my guess is that there is *no* nuclear energy source that would be satisfactory to them, whether land-based or otherwise. And telling the Russians to just put up some wind turbines in the middle of nowhere is not exactly a practical suggestion.

Now, having said that, the Soviets...erm...Russians don't exactly have a stellar track record with nuclear safety lately. And by lately, I mean since the atom was first split. Sticking a reactor on a barge in the arctic ocean strikes me as an unnecessarily risky prospect.

I thought the Russians put it out there where they store their trash - no?

Bye for now,

DW

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Chernobyl on ice - 8/24/2019 12:47:05 PM   
RangerJoe

And people wonder why the Arctic ice is melting . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Chernobyl on ice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI