Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners? - 8/20/2019 3:00:27 PM   
liuluoss

I have just played toaw4 several times, and my friend suggested we to play Cherbourg, I act as Germany.
Yet I know it's hard for Axis, at turn3 I want to surrender No matter how I plan to drawback my unit, US can easily destroy them and broke my fortline. Is that because it's an unblanced scenario or I'm a bad player? Should I choose another blanced scenario(of course I need your suggestion) or just delete the game? Thanks a lot!
By a poor commander who is going to concentration camp soon
Post #: 1
RE: Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners? - 8/20/2019 3:29:52 PM   
Zovs

There are some scenarios that may be a bit more fun or balanced.

Cherbourg may be more fun as the US, the Germans have to delay and hold off the US as long as possible.

St Lo is similar in a sense to Cherbourg, both are fun but I think that the US has the initiative and drives the scenario, so the Germans would be the tougher side to play.

Some other ideas:

Kharkov 1942 (both sides get to attack and defend, its a classic scenario since 1998)
Operation Typhoon 1941 (Germans are attacking and the Soviets must delay until mud/snow sets in to counterattack, another classic)
Smolensk 41 (Germans on the attack and again the Soviets must stop them, another classic)

Anonymous Heroics (Hypothetical) it has 50 / 50 units on both sides and is only 11 turns a pretty good and balanced scenario to learn with.

Generally you'll want to find an old pro that is not out for blood and or racking up his victory points (those days may be gone since Rugged Defense and the Blitz have died out).

Good luck and welcome to the game...

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to liuluoss)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners? - 9/23/2019 10:47:17 AM   
StuccoFresco

I suggest Kharkov 1942 as well. I've written an AAR about it from the Soviet side* and it's an hard battle with ample possibility for maneuver so you can experiment with units and movements. It's fairly big but not overwhelming, and it's just long enough to not put too much pressure on you but not enough to make it a slog.

* https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4613405

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners? - 11/20/2019 2:44:38 PM   
eugenio01

It's possible for a newbie to the game like me to win with the German force.
You have to retreat on the fortified line near Cherburg and lock yourself to a boring routine of entrenchment and bombarding from the strongpoint.
You end up with 3\4 devasted units around Cherburg against 20 enemy units :-) but you win the scenario.
It works against the AI but in my opinion every human player can whipe out German Force also against experienced player.
So I think it's a good scenario to learn the very basic of the game but it give no challenge for the US Force unless you try to keep Cherburg in 20 turns.

(in reply to liuluoss)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> The War Room >> Is Cherbourg 1944 a good choice for beginners? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI