Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 11:34:19 AM   
Zorch

Will someone please explain these jokes to me? It must be some British thing.
Either that or I'm stupid (or both).

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49389208

A joke about vegetables has made it to the top of the menu as this year's funniest at the Edinburgh Fringe.

Swedish comedian Olaf Falafel has won Dave's "Funniest Joke of The Fringe" award with the niche culinary pun.

He took the title with the gag: "I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".

It is from Falafel's show It's One Giant Leek For Mankind at the Pear Tree.

In its 12th year, the prize rewards the funniest one-liner to grace the venues of the festival and celebrates the pool of talent the Fringe has to offer.

The goal of finding the wittiest one-liners fell to an expert panel of 10 judges, comprising the UK's leading comedy critics.

After scouring hundreds of venues and shows at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the panel submitted their favourite six jokes.

Without naming the comics behind each one, 2,000 members of the British public were invited to choose the funniest.

Falafel's gag won 41% of the vote.

Olaf Falafel claims to be "Sweden's 8th funniest" comedian. He is a surrealist comedian and illustrator and also works as a children's book author.

He has performed two shows this year in Edinburgh, the first was It's One Giant Leek for Mankind. His second show is called Knitting with Maracas.

On his joke claiming the top spot, Falafel said: "This is a fantastic honour but it's like I've always said, jokes about white sugar are rare, jokes about brown sugar... demerara."

Ten jokes made the 2019 shortlist. Here are the next nine:

"Someone stole my antidepressants. Whoever they are, I hope they're happy" - Richard Stott
"What's driving Brexit? From here it looks like it's probably the Duke of Edinburgh" - Milton Jones
"A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, 'Yes, of course. - That's 20 cows'" - Jake Lambert
"A thesaurus is great. There's no other word for it" - Ross Smith
"Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's the reason I get up in the morning" - Ross Smith
"I accidentally booked myself onto an escapology course; I'm really struggling to get out of it" - Adele Cliff
"After learning six hours of basic semaphore, I was flagging - Richard Pulsford
"To be or not to be a horse rider, that is Equestrian" - Mark Simmons
"I've got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my dad's contacts" - Ivo Graham

'A good laugh'

Previous winners of the coveted award include Ken Cheng, Masai Graham, Tim Vine, Rob Auton, Stewart Francis, Zoe Lyons and Nick Helm.

Luke Hales, Dave channel director, said: "What a year it's been for current affairs and British eccentricities!

"The comedic opportunities to be creative are endless and above all we've all needed a good laugh in 2019.

"We have really enjoyed the great anecdotes and one liners submitted this year and we couldn't be happier to crown Olaf Falafel as the winner of this year's Dave's Funniest Joke of the Fringe Award!"

The Edinburgh Festival Fringe is widely acknowledged to be the biggest arts festival in the world and takes place every August for three weeks in Scotland's capital city.
Post #: 1
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 1:12:18 PM   
Alan Sharif

I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets"

Substitute florets for tourettes. Does that help?

A Sharif

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 1:39:15 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets"

Substitute florets for tourettes. Does that help?

You have to be careful making jokes concerning Cauliflower as the subject matter. In some circles Cauliflower is no laughing matter. According to some it should never be grown.

< Message edited by Zap -- 8/19/2019 3:22:54 PM >

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 3
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 2:21:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

"I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".
See explanation from Alan below.

"Someone stole my antidepressants. Whoever they are, I hope they're happy" - Richard Stott
Taking antidepressants stops you being depressed
Whoever took them therefore will feel the effect
Saying "I hope their happy" is a 'standard' sarcastic comment that when added to the circumstances above, gives the line comedic value

"What's driving Brexit? From here it looks like it's probably the Duke of Edinburgh" - Milton Jones
Brexit is a car crash. The DoE had a very public car crash in the recent past.

"A cowboy asked me if I could help him round up 18 cows. I said, 'Yes, of course. - That's 20 cows'" - Jake Lambert
Rounding up 18 to the next round number gives 20. Not sure that really works

I'm guessing there is no other word for a thesaurus than thesaurus and its all about words.

"Sleep is my favourite thing in the world. It's the reason I get up in the morning" - Ross Smith
If one didn't fall asleep at night, one wouldn't need to get up

"I accidentally booked myself onto an escapology course; I'm really struggling to get out of it" - Adele Cliff
Guy regrets signing up to the course, but can't cancel.

Semaphore uses flags, flagging is when you're tired

A play on words - should be that is the question. Equestrianism is a sport involving horses.

"I've got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my dad's contacts" - Ivo Graham
Eton is a top public school. It is likely one will find sons of bankers, accountants, politicians etc etc going there. These people are often able to find select jobs based on who they know rather than what they know.

warspite1

Sure. See above in red. I hope that helps They range from funny to meh, but I'm not sure its a British thing?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/19/2019 2:23:18 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 2:35:32 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

"I keep randomly shouting out 'Broccoli' and 'Cauliflower' - I think I might have florets".

Saying "I hope their happy" is a 'standard' sarcastic comment that when added to the circumstances above, gives the line comedic value

I'm guessing there is no other word for a thesaurus than thesaurus and its all about words.

A play on words - should be that is the question. Equestrianism is a sport involving horses.

Eton is a top public school. It is likely one will find sons of bankers, accountants, politicians etc etc going there. These people are often able to find select jobs based on who they know rather than what they know.

warspite1

Sure. See above in red. I hope that helps They range from funny to meh, but I'm not sure its a British thing?

You took me seriously!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 2:36:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

You took me seriously!
warspite1

No of course not! Zorch, how can anyone take you seriously

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 6
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 2:52:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

His wife? No, she probably laughed on their wedding night . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 2:55:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

warspite1

Well at least she had something to laugh at... Mrs W took one look at me back at the hotel and burst into tears, having realised the enormity of her mistake....

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 8
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 3:02:53 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well at least she had something to laugh at... Mrs W took one look at me back at the hotel and burst into tears, having realised the enormity of her mistake....

Did she try to exchange you for a different model?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 3:08:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Yes. She wanted something more exciting, more intelligent and with more personality. She found it too

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 3:23:37 PM   
wodin

erm...didn't even put a smile on my face..must be something up with me

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 3:24:06 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Yes. She wanted something more exciting, more intelligent and with more personality. She found it too

And no doubt more fun to curl up with.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 12
RE: Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe - 8/19/2019 3:29:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

And no doubt more fun to curl up with.
warspite1

Without doubt.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vegetable joke is funniest gag at the Edinburgh Fringe Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI