Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Did this really Happen?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Did this really Happen? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Did this really Happen? - 8/18/2019 3:26:12 AM   
Footslogger

Ah Yes the USS William D Porter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IceFeFsS_GY

Makes me think of McHales Navy
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Did this really Happen? - 8/18/2019 6:07:26 AM   
spence

I'm at least pretty sure that the BB Iowa replied to the Uss Porter's launch at her with "Don't shoot, we're Republicans" (just in case the children don't know FD Roosevelt was a Democrat - back then it was something of a joke). I did think that that DD was commissioned before 1943 though. In US Naval history there have been a bunch of 'heroes' (pretty sure DDs are named after USN heroes in the 1940s anyway) so I figure it's for others to work out whether this or some other hero had a particular DD named for him.

Actually this game has a ship named after him in it was a ship named after he who was the US Supreme Court Justice who presided over the US Supreme Court that issued the directive that no state had the right to declare itself free of SLAVERY (the Dred Scott Decision). But just so's you know this same ship (USCGC Taney - name shortened when it's full name became less politically correct) was the last actuslly serving ship that was present when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941 and continued to rescue the odd mariner or so and interdict assorted drugs until 1986 or therabouts. SEMPER PARATUS!

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Did this really Happen? - 8/18/2019 2:01:04 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I'm at least pretty sure that the BB Iowa replied to the Uss Porter's launch at her with "Don't shoot, we're Republicans" (just in case the children don't know FD Roosevelt was a Democrat - back then it was something of a joke). I did think that that DD was commissioned before 1943 though. In US Naval history there have been a bunch of 'heroes' (pretty sure DDs are named after USN heroes in the 1940s anyway) so I figure it's for others to work out whether this or some other hero had a particular DD named for him.

USS Porter (DD356) was commissioned in August 1936 and sunk in October 1942. USS William D. Porter (DD579) was commissioned in July 1943 and sunk in June 1945. However, it doesn't seem that the William D. Porter was named for DD356... because there was ALSO USS Porter (DD800), commissioned June 1944. (One could check DANFS if you really care.) The USN did like naming shiny new ships for ones that had already been lost in the war (resulting in, IIRC, five ships that were sunk twice).

The five minute guide to warships does an excellent job of giving dryly humorous accounts of all things naval. His descriptions of the Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron (often called elsewhere "the fleet that had to die") and The Channel Dash had me laughing out loud.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Did this really Happen? - 8/18/2019 5:28:04 PM   
geofflambert

If he wasn't, this guy should have had a ship named for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Dixon_Porter

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Did this really Happen? - 8/18/2019 6:55:02 PM   
RangerJoe

Thank to that Porter, the US has the Navy that it does.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Did this really Happen? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI