Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Image slot number vs ship ID number question?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Image slot number vs ship ID number question? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Image slot number vs ship ID number question? - 8/16/2019 11:55:39 PM   
Dili

In my editing of database it seems convenient to use the ID number of the ship or aircraft and use the same ID number for IMG when possible.

For example the first ship in database is King George V so slot 1 but the bitmap image is bitmap ID 183, is there any reason why isn't bitmap ID 1 ?
Post #: 1
RE: Image slot number vs ship ID number question? - 8/17/2019 2:26:49 AM   
BBfanboy

You could try looking up the bitmaps in the ART files and see what numbers 1-182 are used for. I suspect the aircraft art was done first.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 2
RE: Image slot number vs ship ID number question? - 8/18/2019 12:47:08 AM   
Reg

quote:

original: Dili

In my editing of database it seems convenient to use the ID number of the ship or aircraft and use the same ID number for IMG when possible.

For example the first ship in database is King George V so slot 1 but the bitmap image is bitmap ID 183, is there any reason why isn't bitmap ID 1 ?

Technically, no reason at all.

However, it is up to the scenario designer how they structure the database and I would say there is some history involved. I would take a guess and say the bitmap number bears some resemblance to the order in which the images were created and renumbering them later would create configuration management mayhem.

I have attached a dump from my artwork management tool for the first 500 slots in the scenario 1 ship database and you can see which bitmaps are attached to which slot and associated ship class.

Also if you have look at the attached dump you will see with multiple upgrades of the same ship class (with separate slot numbers) with the same bitmap make a one for one correlation impractical.

It is what it is.......

Makes utilities like my Rotating Artwork Tool very useful.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 8/18/2019 1:16:27 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 3
RE: Image slot number vs ship ID number question? - 8/18/2019 12:56:11 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You could try looking up the bitmaps in the ART files and see what numbers 1-182 are used for. I suspect the aircraft art was done first.

Bitmap 0001 is used for slot 0353, North Carolina 3/43 class.

Have a look around that slot number in the attachment to my previous post. Looks like they started with a basic set of images and filled in the upgrade gaps later.

Aircraft artwork works in a similar manner but as aircraft improvements tend to be new types rather than upgrades, the slot-bitmap correlation is a lot closer but still not one for one....

< Message edited by Reg -- 8/18/2019 1:06:54 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Image slot number vs ship ID number question? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI