Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

memory allocation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> memory allocation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
memory allocation - 8/13/2019 7:37:45 PM   
geofflambert

It's been years since I had to go through installation and fix bugs. I seem to recall that the default amount of memory allocated to this game is not nearly enough. AW1Steve is trying to use his laptop to play the game and he's having some trouble. Am I correct that there might be an adjustment needed to his installation?
Post #: 1
RE: memory allocation - 8/13/2019 7:45:43 PM   
Zorch

What OS is he using, such as Windows 10 Home?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2
RE: memory allocation - 8/13/2019 7:50:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

It's been years since I had to go through installation and fix bugs. I seem to recall that the default amount of memory allocated to this game is not nearly enough. AW1Steve is trying to use his laptop to play the game and he's having some trouble. Am I correct that there might be an adjustment needed to his installation?

Minimum installation requirements given for programs are inevitably relying on disk/RAM swapping to operate at all - that is why there is always a free space minimum in the specs too (part for the program, part for the swapping elbow room). Swapping requires time so the program will indeed run slowly. I always try to have 2 or 3 times the minimum when I decide whether to buy a program.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 3
RE: memory allocation - 8/14/2019 6:25:27 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Not really.

4GB of RAM should be enough. Less RAM will probably be OK too.

At one stage during AE development the RAM requirement had reached 1GB but this was pared back to about 400MB by release time. This paring was accomplished by unlading from memory less critical data (such as ship images and messages) and only loading them into memory as required. What has to remain in memory continuously during turn resolution are art files such as the map, and the database. Doing all this meant upon release AE could run well with only 2GB of RAM, and run albeit somewhat slowly, with only 1 GB of RAM. All this at a time when few systems had more than 1 GB of RAM. Today there would be few computers equipped with much less than 4GB.

To the amount used by AE you need to add whatever the OS needs too. Running other programs in the background will also use up capacity.

Alfred

Post #: 4
RE: memory allocation - 8/14/2019 7:28:22 PM   
Trugrit

Alfred is correct on memory.

Also, for most users CPU 2 should be more than good to use as well on a modern machine.

Even though there can be 50 or more processes running in the background they use memory instead of CPU.
Virus programs only use about 0.1 percent of CPU unless they are running a scan.

Windows 10 will let you watch the CPU and memory usage of the programs (Apps) running.

Set it up like this.

Run the game in a window and right click on the bottom task bar and then click on task manager.
Then set the game window and the Task Manager window side by side. Tab the Task Manager
to Processes and as the game runs you can watch the performance.

The below screen shot is the Guadalcanal scenario running during a turn resolution.
You can see it only uses about 500 MB but I have some additional art running.

The problem is Windows 10 uses a lot of memory.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Trugrit -- 8/14/2019 7:38:52 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: memory allocation - 8/14/2019 7:46:27 PM   
geofflambert

Thanks Alfred.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 6
RE: memory allocation - 8/14/2019 10:07:52 PM   
RangerJoe

I have found that Microsoft Edge, while it uses a lot less memory than Firefox, really slows things down a lot more. Maybe because it gets first priority on a Windows 10 machine.

You might want to consider "Process Explorer" or "Process Hacker."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

https://processhacker.sourceforge.io/

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 7
RE: memory allocation - 8/15/2019 4:49:36 AM   
Korvar

If the RAM size is fine, another thing to try is to check the Virtual Memory settings. Even when enough RAM is available, sometimes older programs can insist on using virtual memory (i.e. the computer pretends part of your hard drive is extra RAM).

To check your virtual memory settings in Win10:

Press the Windows key + Pause/Break >> Click on "Advanced System Settings" on the left >> Click the "Advanced" tab >> Click the "Settings" button under "Performance" >> Click the "Advanced" tab >> Click the "Change" button

Check that the "Currently allocated" value at the bottom is equal to or greater than the "Recommended" value. I generally set it to half of the physical RAM on the computer, unless the primary drive is short on disk space. The "Automatically mananage" setting is turned on by default and usually works well, but sometimes it is accidentally turned off. So it is worth checking.

Besides that, it's also possible that the hard drive needs defragged. This is not necessary if the drive is an SSD, however. Power Defragmenter is an old but good defragmenter that utilizes a Microsoft utility to do the defrag.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 8
RE: memory allocation - 8/15/2019 9:03:44 PM   
rustysi

quote:

AW1Steve is trying to use his laptop

Some laptops cheat when it comes to memory. They tell you they have 'x' memory for the machine which they do. Then they tell you how much memory they have for the video card, which they don't. Some or all of the vid card mem may come from the sys mem leaving you short. Just something I remembered last night.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 9
RE: memory allocation - 8/15/2019 9:07:30 PM   
rustysi

Oh, and another thing. On my old laptop WitP vanilla brought it to its knees. I had to manually turn off some of the background programs that were not needed for Windows to run. This got WitP to operate acceptably.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 8/15/2019 9:14:33 PM >

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 10
RE: memory allocation - 8/15/2019 9:10:33 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Am I correct that there might be an adjustment needed to his installation?

No. The adjustments would need to be made to the machine.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> memory allocation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI