Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

basic question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> basic question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
basic question - 7/26/2019 11:08:56 PM   
scout1

IGOUGO approach ? I havne;t followed discussions …
Post #: 1
RE: basic question - 7/27/2019 12:23:38 AM   
sol_invictus

Yes it is IGOUGO. It is possible however to move and attack with individual units several times within a turn up to the limit of the operation points for that unit. It is a very fluid system and armor/mech units can possibly exploit any breach in a defensive line if they still have operation points left.

< Message edited by sol_invictus -- 7/27/2019 4:06:48 AM >

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: basic question - 8/4/2019 7:41:15 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sol_invictus

Yes it is IGOUGO. It is possible however to move and attack with individual units several times within a turn up to the limit of the operation points for that unit. It is a very fluid system and armor/mech units can possibly exploit any breach in a defensive line if they still have operation points left.

This sounds a tad bit similar to TOAW IV approach, or am I wrong …. I never really acclimated to it, though I really tried …...

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: basic question - 8/4/2019 8:27:04 PM   
AlvaroSousa

It is not like TOAW IV. You just move and attack until you run out of operation points. You can use units around you. But the selection mechanism is far easier which makes it play fast.

There is no 2nd screen on attacks or any kind of attack kind to select. All of these decisions are intuitive in the game. For example you want armor to attack in clear hexes and infantry to attack in what I call rugged hexes (non clear or urban). It's more about operational placement and positioning. You want to attack a hex and are already next to it with 3 units? It's as simple as 2 clicks and it gets all 3 units to attack.

Games worked on

Designer of the Strategic Command 2 products
- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

Designer of the Strategic Command 3 products
- Map Image Importer

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 4
RE: basic question - 8/4/2019 9:40:56 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzypup

It is not like TOAW IV. You just move and attack until you run out of operation points. You can use units around you. But the selection mechanism is far easier which makes it play fast.

There is no 2nd screen on attacks or any kind of attack kind to select. All of these decisions are intuitive in the game. For example you want armor to attack in clear hexes and infantry to attack in what I call rugged hexes (non clear or urban). It's more about operational placement and positioning. You want to attack a hex and are already next to it with 3 units? It's as simple as 2 clicks and it gets all 3 units to attack.

looking forward to a descriptive approach to this via AAR or other ? Perhaps one already exists and I haven't run across it …

Please advise …..

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 5
RE: basic question - 8/5/2019 12:47:22 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

.. so once again, no Devs really try to make a satisfying MP round based game, where people (more than 2 !) play together AT THE SAME time, "WITHOUT" waiting for each other and the AI , so you will never finish that 500 turns together ... even CIV VI is terrible for that , also never finished a game with my friends ...

a 500 turns or more MP game,
playing with PBEM, Hotseat or IGOUGO makes no sense for me.

DEVS should try something new , I am not a game designer, but after playing hundreds of such games in the last 40 !!! years :-)
I had lots of ideas to tackle that task ...

there should be one devs team on this world, who could solve that problem ...
all scared bunnies to try a new approach

Anyway will have a look in SP :-(

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 6
RE: basic question - 8/5/2019 2:31:33 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Actually there are only 172 turns in the 1939 European scenario.

To address playing heads up live action like a board game it would actually take far longer to do these turns. Each player has to wait on the other to do their turn. I can say from personal experience that this statement is correct. A World in Flames turn played live with 5 people playing can literally take 6 hours in 1944. That is 2 months time.

WarPlan can play the same turn, or any turn based game, in just 20 minutes each player and neither has to wait on the other.

So this is why why devs don't develops the game type you are looking for. If you really want to play a board game live in front of your computer consider Vassal. It's free and mimics any wargame without using a garage..... I played World in Flames on it.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

(in reply to FlashXAron_slith)
Post #: 7
RE: basic question - 8/5/2019 4:45:36 PM   
FlashXAron_slith

Thanks will have a look ...

but I mean I real new turn based online concept , where ALL (humans and AI) doing their turn at the same time ...
Not really possible , when played as a board game, as you would need a multitask Gamemaster, who oversees all fronts.
The perfect task for a CPU process

BASIC INFO

1.) So the units on the map starts all with automatic orders, simple yes or no ...
Defend
ZOC
Fire of Opportunity
Resupply
etc.
If you say yes, the GM Task handles it ... No means manual, but you could lose the possibility to do it.
Every Order costs Points ... but only if they are "Triggered"

2.) Everyone doing his turn and using the AP ... you should start with your units at the most important front you have or with your most important units you have.
So you could wait what others are doing or do something, where only the CPU-GM reacts.

Of course tha FULL AI controlled Nation have some advantage, as he could do everything at the same time, but it isn't always the best to use his AP first.
And most the AI (at the moment) is somehow weaker than the human, so that would help.

3.) When the first player has finished his turn, a clock starts to tell all others, they have to finish their turn in a certain Overtime.
But he has never fewer than the basic time, plus the Overtime ! So say we have basic time 5 minutes and Overtime 1 min , we have alway 6 min.
BUT could be more, when the fastest needs also 10 min ... so it would be 11 min ... and so on ! So will be an advantage for smaller countries.

Even in OT, the player who has finished his turn is able to do other task, where NO AP are needed ... research, diplomacy and so on ... everything is accessible !

Everything is played ONLINE/LAN at the same time, so you could meet with your friends . every sunday or what ever to play some hours ...
if you want to play it PBEM, you need to have a HOST Server and of course Overtime, will be like 1 day or Basic Time One day, whatever you want ...

And so on ... such game engine for turn based games, would be cool ...
at the moment, only Paradox REALTIME strategy games are playable with friends at the same time, and even there some want/need the speed at "slow" and others at that time at fast :-) ...
but most of the time it is okay ...

but none of the turn based games have a good system.

< Message edited by FlashXAron_slith -- 8/5/2019 4:49:26 PM >

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 8
RE: basic question - 8/5/2019 6:43:50 PM   
AlvaroSousa

As a general idea.

Land units can be set to defend their position or delay.
They try and hold positions when in defend
They give up position in delay while both sides take 1/2 damage

Air units can be sent to support vs all enemies or human order only
Air units only fly in support mode on the enemies turn

Fleets can be set to fleet mode which wants to engage in combat or raid mode which really doesnt want to be found.
There is no counter interception on the enemy turn because then it makes it gamey and it's an exploit. The system compensates for this.

So that is the extend of it.

Games worked on

- Brute Force (mod)
- Assault on Communism
- Assault on Democracy

- Map Image Importer

Post #: 9
RE: basic question - 8/5/2019 8:17:23 PM   
juntoalmar

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashXAron_slith

.. so once again, no Devs really try to make a satisfying MP round based game, where people (more than 2 !) play together AT THE SAME time, "WITHOUT" waiting for each other and the AI , so you will never finish that 500 turns together ... even CIV VI is terrible for that , also never finished a game with my friends ...

a 500 turns or more MP game,
playing with PBEM, Hotseat or IGOUGO makes no sense for me.

DEVS should try something new , I am not a game designer, but after playing hundreds of such games in the last 40 !!! years :-)
I had lots of ideas to tackle that task ...

there should be one devs team on this world, who could solve that problem ...
all scared bunnies to try a new approach

Anyway will have a look in SP :-(

You may want to take a look at some of the WEGO games like War in the Pacific, Desert War or Conquest of the Aegean (this is real time, actually)

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

Post #: 10
RE: basic question - 8/5/2019 8:34:45 PM   
Plainian

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlashXAron_slith

but none of the turn based games have a good system.

This is a turn based two player game. Based on good old tried and tested traditional board wargames. Nothing wrong with that.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> basic question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI