Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ground campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Scenarios and Modding >> ground campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ground campaign - 7/25/2019 3:30:45 AM   
Pete McCullagh

I am looking at the ground campaign in Italy. Not really understanding what is going on. According to manual and forum info on v1.04 there are 3 things I can do as allied player.
1) create oil shortage
2) bomb supply route railyards
3) weaken units on front

I have done this, but do not seem to be affecting anything. What's up?
Post #: 1
RE: ground campaign - 7/30/2019 12:53:09 PM   
Arkham

As I understand it, ground combat is still pretty bugged, and the breakout from the Gothic[edit] corrected, Gustav line is a scripted event to happen in May 44, so nothing you do against ground troops really has an effect.

edit: see here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4650692

< Message edited by Arkham -- 7/31/2019 1:34:24 PM >

(in reply to Pete McCullagh)
Post #: 2
RE: ground campaign - 7/30/2019 5:31:48 PM   
simovitch

Just be aware that if you don't do anything it will be a challenge to overrun Germany in April 45 and capture those industries needed for the victory. So you will need to push the advance in France and Italy by at least a few weeks over the scripted dates to get there, especially with the campaigns shortened by 65 turns. You do this by reducing the German units and making it easier to win ground victories. If the Germans win ground victories the collapse is delayed and that will be bad news.

The problem is it's hard for the Allies to meter the success of the ground campaign. I wonder if it would be helpful to provide the Allied player with an indication of how well the advance is going, or did the original developers want to keep this unknown?

simovitch

(in reply to Arkham)
Post #: 3
RE: ground campaign - 7/30/2019 7:01:28 PM   
Arkham

quote:

I wonder if it would be helpful to provide the Allied player with an indication of how well the advance is going, or did the original developers want to keep this unknown?

True, the Air Generals in WW2 didn't have access to intelligence sources, such as 'Stars and Stripes'.

In all seriousness, right now in my campaign (oct 43) its hardly worth the clicks to target the lines in Italy. The entire 12th AF is pretty useless TBH, and I mostly use it to try to kill as many LW pilots as I can, since the entire avalanche mandatory targeting doesn't really help me any.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 4
RE: ground campaign - 7/31/2019 12:41:27 AM   
Pete McCullagh

All noted. I have played this since '86 USAAF. This has always been an issue. Historically no serious effort was made to break out of Anzio until May44. My current strategy is to cause as much oil shortage as possible until mid April the concentrate on railyards followed by one sector of gothic line. Biggest problem is air force(me) doesn't know where or when allied ground troops will attack. Overlord is easier, since it basically follows history. I really appreciate how the team is trying to improve the game. Keep it up!

(in reply to Arkham)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Scenarios and Modding >> ground campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI