Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

B41_lgf_7.22.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> B41_lgf_7.22.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
B41_lgf_7.22.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/22/2019 1:21:17 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've received Don's first turn and I've got another game going on right now so I'll come back to this game in about 2 hours from now and post a picture. Here's my Mascot, Silvester.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/23/2019 6:55:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/22/2019 1:23:26 PM   
Lobster

He is all ears.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/22/2019 1:26:39 PM   
Zovs

I am a horrible AAR writer and screen shooter lol

I just killed as many of Larry's units as I could for the first turn, nothing spectacular yet, just forward east and kill Russians.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 3
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/26/2019 2:24:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looks like on T3. I haven't moved anybody yet so
the front lines may change a tiny bit before the turn is over.

Attachment (1)

Star Trek: TNG Bridge Background Ambience (no conversations)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLrfdcz8Ou4

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 4
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/26/2019 3:43:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what it looks like around Pskov right now. The Axis forces are moving toward Leningrad and I'm trying to stop up the holes and gaps in my MLR and it's not working out really well. He's going to be at the city in just a few turns it seems. Maybe I can rail some troops up here to help out with the defense. It seems too early to be fighting near Leningrad's approaches.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/26/2019 6:22:00 PM   
Hellen_slith

That's a playful looking kitty cat, what a sweet kitty!

PS what is the hex scale in this scene, 15km / per hex? Looking forward to this AAR!

Post #: 6
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/27/2019 3:44:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

That's a playful looking kitty cat, what a sweet kitty!

PS what is the hex scale in this scene, 15km / per hex? Looking forward to this AAR!

Here you go:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 7
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/27/2019 12:00:03 PM   
Zovs

Larry it will start to get better for you on turn 5.

I need to make hey while I can.

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 8
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/27/2019 2:47:50 PM   
John B.

Silvester is so freakin Cute!!!

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 9
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/27/2019 3:26:18 PM   
rhinobones

What are these blank icons supposed to be?

Regards

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 7/27/2019 3:27:29 PM >

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 10
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 7/27/2019 4:14:28 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm not sure. I'll have to look it up and get back to you.

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 11
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/1/2019 3:57:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

Steve: it turns out that those guys are some kind of naval infantry unit. I need to change the colors so they stand out more. Good catch.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/1/2019 2:09:10 PM   
Zovs

Larry and I are on Turn 7, play testing his mods to this fine scenario.

I think its fun and challenging as both sides.

Here is the end of my turn 7 moves, I am a horrid AAR guy, but you get the general overview. I am doing better in AGN (mad a choice to commit to getting Leningrad) and doing okay AGC and AGS. I may be a bit behind schedule in both AGC and AGS areas, I have been mopping up and pushing as much as I can.

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 13
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/1/2019 2:11:58 PM   
Zovs

I take part of that back as I look at the map for July 13th I am doing a lot better in AGC, so both AGN and AGC are doing well. AGS is next to Kiev but no where near Odessa yet. In real life I believe the Jerries got to Odessa around August or so.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 14
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/2/2019 11:35:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

I had a flashback just now. It's 04:04 and I've just gotten up from my nap. The flashback was about an enemy soldier that I was trying to kill and I had run out of bullets and it was down to fists and knuckles. I was punching as hard as I was able and it felt like I was hitting something wooden everytime I connected with him. I hit him several times and then I went to kick him hard in the nuts and tumbled myself out of bed and onto the floor. I woke up then of course. I discovered that I had been punching my fist on the clothes cabinet next to my bed and that my right hand had several bleeding knuckles and it had a black and blue spot where my largest knuckles are. I put some metholated camphor on it, my mom's favorite remedy, and spread it around good and I was going to put something on the bleeding spots but I discovered that I don't have any more band aids. So I just held it up higher than my head and the bleeding soon stopped. It hurts like the dickens and it's my right hand I was punching with and that's my mousing hand. I've discovered that I CAN still use the mouse but I have to go slower than usual. I have no idea what dredged that event out of my memory this time. I don't feel violent any longer, and I've gotten over my rage I think, so something like this doesn't happen very often. This is the first such episode in about six months or more. I still think my meds are tuned just fine and that this is just an anomoly. I guess deep down I do still own some rage. I do rage really well it seems. I've discovered that my posts on youtube have a deepseated rage aspect. My attitude is that you and I aren't going to debate religion because you are far too ignorant to know what the **** you're talking about. You're a goddamn believer and what the **** could you possibly know about anything. I guess I need to work on this aspect of my attitude to be more emphatic and forgiving and to approach it from his/her point of view. To give a little. And to outgrow a lot of this rage against the human species. I'm aware that I have this trait and I'm actively working on trying to be a better person. Progress is slow but steady. I've decreased the number of curse words in my emails to my senators. I seem to be able to contain myself when I'm doing my AAR's. It's just that I have memories of reading about the German soldiers herding the Ukranian civilians into their house and then setting it on fire.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/2/2019 11:51:02 AM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 15
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/2/2019 11:49:34 AM   
Zovs

Larry who’s Brian?

Was this a wrong post thread? This is our AAR on B41. Your mods. BTW I did not get your let turn. Hope the dreams left you and you have peace good buddy and your hands heal. I’d use Neosporin it works wonders.

Anyway it’s all ok buddy.

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 16
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/2/2019 12:03:05 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zovs
Larry who’s Brian?

Was this a wrong post thread? This is our AAR on B41. Your mods. BTW I did not get your [last] turn. Hope the dreams left you and you have peace good buddy and your hands heal. I’d use Neosporin it works wonders.

Anyway it’s all ok buddy.

I have no idea why I posted that here. To bring you guys into my loop? It's a PTSD episode and explains why I act and think the way I do and the demons that I'm fighting. In 2013, the VA released a study that covered suicides from 1999 to 2010, which showed that roughly 22 veterans were dying by suicide per day, or one every 65 minutes. I know why they do that. I don't believe I'm at risk however and actually things are going rather well for me in 2019. But I'm not the only one having nightmares etc. Now you know.

Brian is my longest and finest opponent. He's a WITP-AE expert and I've learned a lot from him. I'll resend my last turn again. Thanks for your reassurence.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 17
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/2/2019 1:21:44 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I had a flashback just now. It's 04:04 and I've just gotten up from my nap. The flashback was about an enemy soldier that I was trying to kill and I had run out of bullets and it was down to fists and knuckles. I was punching as hard as I was able and it felt like I was hitting something wooden everytime I connected with him. I hit him several times and then I went to kick him hard in the nuts and tumbled myself out of bed and onto the floor. I woke up then of course. I discovered that I had been punching my fist on the clothes cabinet next to my bed and that my right hand had several bleeding knuckles and it had a black and blue spot where my largest knuckles are. I put some metholated camphor on it, my mom's favorite remedy, and spread it around good and I was going to put something on the bleeding spots but I discovered that I don't have any more band aids. So I just held it up higher than my head and the bleeding soon stopped. It hurts like the dickens and it's my right hand I was punching with and that's my mousing hand. I've discovered that I CAN still use the mouse but I have to go slower than usual. I have no idea what dredged that event out of my memory this time. I don't feel violent any longer, and I've gotten over my rage I think, so something like this doesn't happen very often. This is the first such episode in about six months or more. I still think my meds are tuned just fine and that this is just an anomoly. I guess deep down I do still own some rage. I do rage really well it seems. I've discovered that my posts on youtube have a deepseated rage aspect. My attitude is that you and I aren't going to debate religion because you are far too ignorant to know what the **** you're talking about. You're a goddamn believer and what the **** could you possibly know about anything. I guess I need to work on this aspect of my attitude to be more emphatic and forgiving and to approach it from his/her point of view. To give a little. And to outgrow a lot of this rage against the human species. I'm aware that I have this trait and I'm actively working on trying to be a better person. Progress is slow but steady. I've decreased the number of curse words in my emails to my senators. I seem to be able to contain myself when I'm doing my AAR's. It's just that I have memories of reading about the German soldiers herding the Ukranian civilians into their house and then setting it on fire.

A lot of us have that anger problem. The closer you get to man's inhumanity towards man the more likely I think.

Post #: 18
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/2/2019 2:34:51 PM   
Zovs

Agreed. There are more vets that suffer from PTSD (I am one) and there is more from the last 18 or so years of war. There is hope and reassurance and I wish you peace and happiness and fun in our games together Larry as long as you and I both shall breathe.

Had a phone conference and will get to our turns asap good Buddy!

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 19
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/2/2019 3:59:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

It's now 08:44 local tucson time and I went outside to check the mail and got hit in the face by over 80 degrees ( already ). It's bright and sunshiny, not a cloud in the sky. I turned my back to the sun and let the IR rays warm me up. That the UV rays were killing organisims on my shirt was a bonus. They say that the interior of the sun is so dense that photons may take as long as approaching a million years to emerge from the surface of the sun. And then an eight minute trip to the earth. Alpha Centuri is only 4.3 light years away but at the speed of a jet airliner it would take about 73,000 years to get there. I received my moves from Don about a day and a half ago and it's probably going to take the rest of the day for me to produce some moves in response. I like to think about what I'm doing when I play to produce the best moves for all my units the first time. Don deserves a good game from me. Let's see what I can produce.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 20
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/4/2019 10:14:55 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey you guys....ever have this happen to you? : In the pre-combat phase the pending combat dialog shows no combat taking more than one round and then you execute the combats and discover to your horror that lots of combats took 10 rounds to execute. And now there's only 20% of your turn left after the first round of combat in the turn. I think I may have to investigate why 10 rounds.

EDIT: There were bou cou units that were blocking the enemy retreat that were dug in....MP's 0. And they were considered in the calculation of the duration of the battle since the enemy units attempted to retreat and were blocked.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 8/4/2019 10:41:29 AM >

Post #: 21
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/4/2019 10:39:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

I started to move the units that still have MP's and I discovered another mystery. The very first unit to move, according to the OOB is the HQ unit in the 1st Infantry Corps [ "Axis 1 GE Inf Corp, 1 GE Inf Corp" ]. I took a peek under the hood and found that despite it already being T2, the unit itself still has a severe shortage of 105mm Howitzers. WTF? I took a look at the inventory and there's 118 of them on hand, not exactly a shortage. Addtionally, how many were distributed during the inter-turn phase that happened at the start of T2? Enquiring minds want to know. Some sleuthing is in order.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/6/2019 1:37:22 PM   
Zovs

Well it's now July 16 1941, or turn 8. I just finished my moves and sent them to Larry.

Essentially I am 5 hexes from Moscow, 3 hexes from Kalinin, have Finnish units adjacent to Leningrad and some German units 3-4 hexes from Leningrad, have taken the NE hex of Kiev.

Here is the overall view:

Leningrad:

Moscow:

Kiev:

WarPlan Beta Tester

Post #: 23
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/6/2019 3:51:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the song that SNL used as source for their famous skit about the COW BELL:

Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper 1976 [Studio Version]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg&list=RD4AKbUm8GrbM&index=22

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 24
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/6/2019 5:43:18 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

...I took a peek under the hood and found that despite it already being T2, the unit itself still has a severe shortage of 105mm Howitzers.... Enquiring minds want to know. Some sleuthing is in order.

Larry, this is an aspect of the game that I've been trying to figure out, too, because I see the same types of things going on in the games I'm playing.

For me, I first noticed it when looking for RR engineers replacements in my D21 game (turns out, I think, that I did not have any "slots" for the computer to assign the units, but it was a wash anyway b/c of Soviet auto-repairs of rail lines.)

In this case, it looks like the slots are there, but the replacements are just not going there. I am wondering now, if maybe for those slots that are open, receipt of any replacements are dependent upon supply lines or some other factor, that is either set by the scenario designer or dependent on the computer calculations?

Just guessing, but I am interested to know how that works in more detail.

I am only guessing. But I'll bet that Mr. Cross might be able to share some insight on how the replacements are "placed" and how that all works.

Post #: 25
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/6/2019 6:00:32 PM   
Zovs

9.1.7.2 bullet 5:
• “Overextended” units only receive replacements if they are not suffering desertions (their unit supply level is above (100 – unit proficiency)).

9.1.9. Replacements
Equipment losses are a fact of life on the battlefield. If these losses are not replaced, your units will become less useful over time. Your units are eligible to automatically receive Replacements from your Force Equipment Stockpiles if they are under strength, in Supply, and not Embarked on Ships or Trains. In most Scenarios, your Force Replacement Stockpiles will be replenished on a regular basis. In some Scenarios, units may have different priorities for receiving Replacements. This will usually be mentioned in the Scenario Briefing.

17.10.1. Default Replacements
If you choose, you can set 1% or 2% Replacements from the Edit / Set Replacements menu item. If you do this, 1% or 2% of your total starting Force inventory of each item will be replaced each Turn.

17.10.2 last paragraph:
Be aware that unit reconstitution is only triggered by having enough replacement equipment for the top item in the unit’s TO&E. So, such transitioned units may not reconstitute well.

17.10.3 last paragraph:
Replacement priorities affect the likelihood and amounts of Replacements for units if there isn’t enough replacement equipment to fill all requests.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 26
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/6/2019 9:32:33 PM   
Hellen_slith

I am thinking now that under 9.1.9, the key words there are " IN SUPPLY "

that is , definition of "in supply" would be (to me) w/ in the supply net radius to be able to receive.

Just guessing, but that's what seems to me to be happening. I could be wrong.

Pretty wrong plenty times, but I am thinking that's the key there.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 27
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/6/2019 10:26:51 PM   
Lobster

Here is an excellent breakdown of how replacements are handled.

http://www.gr-8.biz/toaw/rr/replacementsreconstitution.html

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 28
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/7/2019 2:16:00 AM   
Zovs

Thanks Jack that was spot on I miss those old very detailed analysis and in depth writings.

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 29
RE: B41_lgf_7.20.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet - 8/28/2019 4:13:14 PM   
Zovs

So Larry and I rebooted this one. I have not been very great at doing AAR's but here is where I was at on Turn 7 strategically so to speak.

Start of Turn 7.

North

Center

South

Start of Turn 8.

North

Center and South

Turn 8 Highlights

Leningrad at start

Leningrad at end

Vyazma Line at start:

Vyazma end 1:

Vyazma end 2:

Kiev at start:

Kiev at end:

Odessa at start:

Odessa at end:

WarPlan Beta Tester

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> B41_lgf_7.22.2019, Zovs is Axis, I'm Soviet Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI