Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Commercial

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Commercial Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Commercial - 7/20/2019 8:47:38 PM   
Canoerebel

YouTube link to the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iP6_DFPFCo

That ad popped up last night while I was surfing ESPN for baseball scores to make sure that LoKasenna's Nats don't creep too close the Braves. The commercial is well done, moving, disturbing, and creepy. What's your take?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/20/2019 8:49:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 8:51:37 PM   
geofflambert

I'm a guy. I want explosions and stuff like that. She didn't even have a gun. Boring!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 8:54:40 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

The commercial is well done, moving, disturbing, and creepy. What's your take?

What's disturbing or creepy about it?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 8:58:41 PM   
Canoerebel

I'll reply in a day or so, giving time for others (if any) who might have thoughts.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 4
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 9:49:49 PM   
warspite1

Which advert do you mean? I clicked on the link and got an advert for Indeed....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 9:50:58 PM   
Canoerebel

That's it. The one with Claire getting passed over for a promotion.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 10:06:06 PM   
warspite1

It was only 30 seconds long. Have I missed something? or is that it?

If that was it then I don't understand what is remotely disturbing or creepy. She has been passed up for promotion and is upset - and then gets a request for an interview from indeed about a Senior VP, Finance job. The narrator says this will be the last time she's overlooked for promotion...why? because indeed are on the case??....

Er.... okay.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 7
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 10:39:17 PM   
jdsrae

Just a recruiting company ad. If you’re not getting the promotion you think you deserve you have options, either work harder and try again or convince someone else you’re worth it and go work for them.

Looks like she’s done with option 1 and made her mind up to try option 2. I didn’t see anything creepy in there.

The baked beans ad that popped up next was a cracker. “Not for astronauts”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QD1GbIRavA

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 7/20/2019 10:47:19 PM >

Follow the Sapper

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/20/2019 11:58:26 PM   
geofflambert

There's this cabal that's out there wanting to hire women to do real jobs. What could be creepier than that? They will be taking jobs away from men like us who are just too lazy to do our jobs properly. We just can't have that! Can we build a wall to keep them out?

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 9
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 4:18:58 AM   
BBfanboy

There are some things that looked off - all the men in blue ties and blue suits, her blouse collar scrunched up inside the suit, the guy on her left raising a disembodied set of fingers to shake her shoulder to console her, a major promotion announced to a large number of employees without the selected candidate and the contending candidates being informed first. I could probably find more by viewing the commercial a few more times.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 4:41:15 AM   
Yaab

Muted enthusiasm, somber faces. Are they working on a proper AI for WITP AE?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 12:30:12 PM   
witpqs

They are playing on emotional response to the stereo type that there is a patriarchy denying women earned accomplishments on account of their gender. Like many, many ads it is shameless in playing on people's fears and angst.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 12
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 12:45:00 PM   
Canoerebel

Y'all are thoughtful men, which is why I posted this yesterday. I've enjoyed reading your answers - some hilarious (Yaab, for instance!) and others with deep insights and a few with simple WTF??? responses.

Nobody picked up on the thing I saw or thought I saw. That lets me know I may have been too nitpicky over such a trivial matter.

I thought the commercial well made and effective. It does a super job conveying a message quickly and powerfully. And if it had ended with "Clare" showing brief private disappointment and resolve to move on with her life, that would've been my complete reaction. In the closing moment, she becomes disingenuous by loudly and falsely "hoo-hooing!" the selection of her competitor. That impression was so strong that it left me without the desired (from the maker's standpoint) compassion for her you're supposed to feel.

That's a small quibble and it's just a commercial. Thanks for chiming in, gents.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 12:45:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

YouTube link to the commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iP6_DFPFCo

That ad popped up last night while I was surfing ESPN for baseball scores to make sure that LoKasenna's Nats don't creep too close the Braves. The commercial is well done, moving, disturbing, and creepy. What's your take?

Everyone is wearing dark clothing (mostly gray) and someone forgot to pay the electricity bill in the office, as all the lights are out.

The mood lighting, or lack thereof, makes the office a more sterile, featureless and depressing landscape than it is in real life. This is compounded by the sterility of the area outside the conference room-no people are seen bustling about in the darkness of the background.

The only comforting lighting comes from a phone message that Clare receives showing her 'the light' in a new job interview proposal. And a green (not red, as is typical in US offices) "EXIT" sign as the camera backs away from the office area.

The message seems pretty clear. If you're tired of the drudgery of faceless corporatism, where life is a rote series of gray days and meaningless existence, come to Indeed. We can provide you an exit from the existential ennui, the void that is that life.

ETA: I posted this literally :02 seconds after you just did, Canoerebel. I hadn't seen your reply before I posted this.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/21/2019 12:46:18 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 12:49:09 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, Chickenboy. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Chickenboy, witpqs and BBfanboy all went to some time to really think through this and articulate meaningful responses.

Just in case Andre missed it (our posts crossed), I posted my thought just before he did his.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 3:20:41 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Y'all are thoughtful men, which is why I posted this yesterday. I've enjoyed reading your answers - some hilarious (Yaab, for instance!) and others with deep insights and a few with simple WTF??? responses.

Nobody picked up on the thing I saw or thought I saw. That lets me know I may have been too nitpicky over such a trivial matter.

I thought the commercial well made and effective. It does a super job conveying a message quickly and powerfully. And if it had ended with "Clare" showing brief private disappointment and resolve to move on with her life, that would've been my complete reaction. In the closing moment, she becomes disingenuous by loudly and falsely "hoo-hooing!" the selection of her competitor. That impression was so strong that it left me without the desired (from the maker's standpoint) compassion for her you're supposed to feel.

That's a small quibble and it's just a commercial. Thanks for chiming in, gents.

I took her switch to cheering for the selected guy as a sign that she had indeed decided to move on with confidence in a brighter future. Once she knew she had a solid opportunity for something better, there would be no reason to be sore about missing the promotion in her current office and she could then applaud the success of a colleague.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 4:10:06 PM   
MakeeLearn

Such a plethora of reactions to this.

Was Claire born John and this is a clear case of transgender discrimination.

Is Claire thinking "WOW I #$*@ the boss for nu'thing!"

Is the black skin non-gendered humanoid behind Clair thinking... "#$*@ Mike.... #$*@ Claire... #$*@ this %^$$&ing racist company!!!"

Has Claire already given secrets to a rival company in exchange for a job.

Are Mike and his boss lovers and that's how he got the job.

Is someone prank texting Claire.

Why is Claire thrusting her pelvic at the end of the commercial.

What is Clair(John) doing next weekend.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 7/21/2019 4:11:29 PM >

There is no such thing as truth in the perceptible universe: every idea when analyzed is found to contain a contradiction.
Aleister Crowley

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 4:15:55 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I took her switch to cheering for the selected guy as a sign that she had indeed decided to move on with confidence in a brighter future. Once she knew she had a solid opportunity for something better, there would be no reason to be sore about missing the promotion in her current office and she could then applaud the success of a colleague.

Funny. I missed that final interplay altogether. It was cloistered on the left frame of the camera while the camera panned out to the vacuous dark chasm that was the office. It reinforced that this false front of meaningless office camaraderie is just putting on a brave face, when the void fills more and more of the frame and the world in which we live.

ETA: Except for Indeed.com. Without their light, our futures would be so terribly bleak. Remember that when you are at your lowest.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 7/21/2019 4:17:00 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 6:07:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Thanks, Chickenboy. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. Chickenboy, witpqs and BBfanboy all went to some time to really think through this and articulate meaningful responses.

Just in case Andre missed it (our posts crossed), I posted my thought just before he did his.

You're welcome. I enjoyed the opportunity to contextually use "existential ennui" in a sentence.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 6:22:29 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

I think the "hoo-hoo!" was that she'd finally made her decision. She's leaving the firm. No going back - no hoping for next time - not accepting that she's not good enough, she is instead moving on. And she is good with that. That "hoo-hoo!" might have been for her <wry grin>.

Sometimes goodbye is a second chance.

Bye for now,

DW

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 20
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 7:09:07 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

Thought the same thing Mister Dan...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 7:52:29 PM   
geofflambert

I think CB secretly writes all the ads for pharmaceutical companies that I have to put on mute because they play 5 times an hour or more. I believe he is also the one in charge of coming up with the ridiculous names for their products. Like Mavyret. Gee that sounds like something but I can't think what. Something to do with Sarah Palin, I think. This post may have side effects. Contact your doctor if your blood pressure rises above 180 over 110.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 22
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 8:48:39 PM   
Canoerebel

A lot of interesting reading in here. Such a trivial matter but it's helped me recover from my first every UTI (urinary tract infection), bringing a few moments of entertainment so that I decided to cancel my funeral.

Makee Learn may be Truman Capote or Howard Finster or some other southern idiosyncratic prodigy. That man can think and he can create and he can navigate life flying between different solar systems.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 23
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 9:15:58 PM   
bomccarthy

You check out Indeed.com's other commercials here: https://www.ispot.tv/brands/oRW/indeed

Their current ad campaign follows an emotional theme of Indeed.com helping you overcome career low moments. Their earlier ads were mostly aimed at recruiters.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 24
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 10:00:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Not really sure why my response was deemed less meaningful or less articulate. I went through what I personally got from the ad. Simple fact was my post wasn’t long because to me, that add was really not that deep.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 25
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 10:07:44 PM   
Canoerebel

As I was typing that yesterday, I had a fever of 100. I was trying to express my gratitude and the three most recent insightful comments naturally came to mind first. I didn't take time to go back through and survey all comments. I felt my general comments expressed my thanks to all who contributed.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 26
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 10:16:31 PM   
DD696

I agree with the Gorn. Chickenboy is the cause of most of the insignificant hot air spewed in the world we live in. Just look at his post count.

USMC: 1970-1977.

Post #: 27
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/21/2019 10:19:29 PM   
durnedwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think CB secretly writes all the ads for pharmaceutical companies that I have to put on mute because they play 5 times an hour or more. I believe he is also the one in charge of coming up with the ridiculous names for their products. Like Mavyret. Gee that sounds like something but I can't think what. Something to do with Sarah Palin, I think. This post may have side effects. Contact your doctor if your blood pressure rises above 180 over 110.

Jeepers Geoff - you might be right!

I just saw a pharmaceutical add on the internet for a new product called "Charleeze Throat Lozenges"...

Gushes of sweet succulent soothing relief in each lozenge for symptoms that include a sore throat accompanied by stuttering and a nagging cough. The lozenges have a sweet creamy center core that gives off therapeutic vapors. They come 12 to a box and there's a scratch-and-sniff panel so you can sample the therapeutic vapors.

Bye for now,

DW

Post #: 28
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/22/2019 12:45:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I think CB secretly writes all the ads for pharmaceutical companies that I have to put on mute because they play 5 times an hour or more. I believe he is also the one in charge of coming up with the ridiculous names for their products. Like Mavyret. Gee that sounds like something but I can't think what.

You're on the right track, Gorn. Remember that ad with two people reclining in outdoor bathtubs while holding hands? Well, that was me. Except I wrote the script for the bathtub soaking for a foot bunion softening remedy. "Squishy buns" was the product in question. It didn't sell.

Then there was the jingle that I wrote for a generic Lithium analog. "You ask me if I'm crazy. Which option should I choose? Is it schizoid paranoia or just existential blues?" Got into trouble with a Dr. Demento song with (who'd a thunk it?) identical lyrics.

My last crack at this market was for a cream that actually promoted facial wrinkles. When one donned the cream, it caused wrinkles. So I suggested "Don Wrinkles". I got called a "Hockey puck" for that effort.

Post #: 29
RE: Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Comm... - 7/22/2019 12:47:38 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DD696

I agree with the Gorn. Warspite1 is the cause of most of the insignificant hot air spewed in the world we live in. Just look at his post count.

Fixed that for you.

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Way OT: Your Take on the Behavior in this New Commercial Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI