Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Platoons and Companies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Platoons and Companies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 8:23:41 AM   
Red2112

While some of you may already knows this, I found it quite cool to share for those who don´t, and also learned some things I didn´t think of were taken into account.

I also think he has done a great job with his minis

Enjoy...

Platoons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15gihWu1SM

Companies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2UVzrJg0Q

Tank Platoons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5j95VxhHxA

This also brings up the question of manpower versus decisions in wargaming. Why some wargames omit alot of decisions in RL combat, and why they should bring this back.

I got to my door yesterday a copy of Less Then 60 Miles by Thin Red Line games, and three days ago a copy of The Last Hundred Yards by GMT games. Both these games put alot of effort in game mechanics design to portray leadership decisions in the battle. Alot of that is missing in alot of wargames be it PC or boardgames now days.

It might be just me (or not), but I find myself thinking alot more while playing games like this versus a PC wargame. I think that it has alot to do with having to look up tables and charts in these games, which eventually sinks in and conditions your next move/strategy, learning the rules etc. Altogether you are more aware of what and how the game works because basically you spent 3-6 days reading and trying out the rules/system. Think "Next War" series...

Thats why folks who know/learned GG War In The East/West, World In Flames, AE War In The Pacific and CMANO are such loyal fans of these games, because they had to sweat it to learn them/play them, aside from the fact that there are detailed games which need learning.

The beauty of conquering a summit is the sume of the effort and pain of climing it, and if your lucky the sight you may have on a clear day.

Just my thougts though.

Red

--
added content

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 7/20/2019 8:44:22 AM >

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSD´s, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.
Post #: 1
RE: Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 8:33:36 AM   
Red2112

Here´s some insight on LT60M gameplay by Mr. Sharp...

Just some food for thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qU_ntto3oY

and some more thoughts/gameplay by Matt...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u76KfCmlB2M&t=1037s

Some of my fav YouTubers

Red

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 7/20/2019 8:35:23 AM >

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, EVGA GTX 1070ti 8GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB SSD´s, LG 29' Ultrawide 21:9 monitor Logitech G13, G502, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR 5.0, Corsair Void Pro 7.1 USB.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 2
RE: Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 9:43:23 AM   
Kuokkanen

At least Combat Mission 2 has some of that: squad can be divided into two parts where one part has rifles and other part has SMGs (if I recall correctly). Squad Battles (by John Tiller) also goes to this kind of detail. Then are games where player commands individual soldiers from half of a squad (XCOM: Enemy Unknown) up to a platoon (UFO: Enemy Unknown, Jagged Alliance 2), and player can equip each soldier as he wants with what equipment is available. Even Steel Panthers series has the choice to have infantry formations smaller than squad, like 2-man recon teams and even a lone sniper. + Command Control in SPWAW. So it isn't omitted from all the games. If you want even more detail, it isn't war games anymore but role-playing games.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3
RE: Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 11:12:20 AM   
Zovs

It does not only have to be tactical games, The Operational Art of War also fills this spot for PC war games as does the Europa series for board war games. The rules to Europa takes a good week to read and soak in and then to play it you have many charts and tables to consult and that does not include strategy and takes nor game mechanics.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario creator

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 11:15:13 AM   
Lobster

I know two of those games you mentioned suffer badly from the formulation problem. They are gamed until an exact method is determined for the first moves and everyone does that exact thing and it comes out basically the same every time. Not to mention things happening that could never happen historically. When a game becomes that mechanical all the fun is sucked out of it.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 5
RE: Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 12:13:20 PM   
MrsWargamer

Excellent post Red, thanks for the video links.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: Platoons and Companies - 7/20/2019 4:59:01 PM   
wodin

Compass Games is releasing a Solo man vs man WW2 wargame on the 31st July called Combat! Vol 1.

It has a VERY hefty price tag and I'm not sure why at the moment. Hopefully a YouTube video clarifies it.

I'm hoping I can review for AWNT.

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Platoons and Companies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI