Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Blockade of port

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Blockade of port Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blockade of port - 7/15/2019 7:05:38 PM   
Uxbridge

Can anyone advice me on the issue of blockading ports. I had the idea that placing a naval unit next to the port hex (not the urban area next to it) would block supply, gradually degrading the port. But now I'm not so sure and searching through the manual doesn't make it clearer. It says that a unit next to a port blocks supply, but that might refer to a land unit.

Anyone?

Whar I'm aiming at is trying to block supply to North Africa by closing Tripoli, Benghazi and Tobruk.

Post #: 1
RE: Blockade of port - 7/15/2019 7:09:25 PM   
HamburgerMeat

You'll need 2 naval units adjacent to the port, and it will decrease the port supply by 1 your following turn (not sure if they have to have above 4 strength or not)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 2
RE: Blockade of port - 7/15/2019 7:17:21 PM   
Uxbridge

I see – it was two units. I thought you only had to have all the hexes adjacent to the port covered by ZoCs.

Thanks a lot.

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 3
RE: Blockade of port - 5/28/2020 7:05:16 PM   
Tanaka

Regarding this does it matter if a sub is in silent mode or not to blockade a port or just only two naval units? Also does it matter if a sub is in silent mode when on top of port attack hexes?

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/28/2020 7:06:15 PM >

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 4
RE: Blockade of port - 5/28/2020 7:29:03 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Here's an interesting one, well, sort of. Can you raid a convoy while being in a port? :)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 5
RE: Blockade of port - 5/28/2020 9:10:04 PM   
Captjohn757

Not 100 percent sure about this, but I don't believe subs can blockade ports.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 6
RE: Blockade of port - 5/28/2020 9:13:12 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Got different items being discussed, will toss in anothr:

1) Blockading ports
2) Raiding while your piece is in a port and the the convoy goes right beside you. Example: Malta, if convoy there
3) Blockading with subs
4) Then, lets not forget he "red hex" ports. Don't think it costs your piece any supply.

(in reply to Captjohn757)
Post #: 7
RE: Blockade of port - 5/28/2020 11:12:27 PM   
Xsillione

1. Ports need any two naval units next to it, subs can do it, motorboats can do it, even silent ones.
2. You can raid the convoy if you are next to the route or on it, even from ports (in the WWI game, the serbian route is next to an AH port, perfect place for a sub.)
4. Red hex don't need supply, or even being in raid mode, just sit on it, while no enemy ships next to you. They don't always damage the port next to it, sometimes directly effect mines and such.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 8
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 12:07:12 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Thanks Xsillione --- Is it exponential in the "Red Zone"? Meaning, can x2 naval pieces get double Red Damage, Raid Convoy and blockade the port for damage. Obviously, this would be England ports.

Call this the Trifecta Bermuda British Triangle.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 9
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 1:40:15 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xsillione

1. Ports need any two naval units next to it, subs can do it, motorboats can do it, even silent ones.
2. You can raid the convoy if you are next to the route or on it, even from ports (in the WWI game, the serbian route is next to an AH port, perfect place for a sub.)
4. Red hex don't need supply, or even being in raid mode, just sit on it, while no enemy ships next to you. They don't always damage the port next to it, sometimes directly effect mines and such.

Thanks for the tips!

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 10
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 8:20:32 AM   
Xsillione

No multiplication, just all effect at the same time, one ship on one red area do max damage already, more don't add anything for that part. Two obviously add the blockade damage too, but no double red damage. Both can do convoy raid, if near the route, but in this case, you are better with the port blockade, bringing it below 5, and the convoy route gone (turned into white and no mpp from it, until the port repaired, unless alternative port is an option, like the soviet one for receiving.) For port damage, you can also just bombard with surface ships, to save time, at the cost of your ships health.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 1:05:59 PM   
fluidwill matrix

Thanks Xsillicone

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 12
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 5:02:58 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xsillione

No multiplication, just all effect at the same time, one ship on one red area do max damage already, more don't add anything for that part. Two obviously add the blockade damage too, but no double red damage. Both can do convoy raid, if near the route, but in this case, you are better with the port blockade, bringing it below 5, and the convoy route gone (turned into white and no mpp from it, until the port repaired, unless alternative port is an option, like the soviet one for receiving.) For port damage, you can also just bombard with surface ships, to save time, at the cost of your ships health.

Solid, dude. With a cool name Xsillione, & gaming knowledge, we might need to square up on the battlefield.

Until next time, may your mortar fire be long & on target.

-EJR

Take a ton of bolt and steel
A whole lotta sweat, a set of wheels
On the Speedway
The flag is down, pistons pound
Plenty of engines ripping around .. on the Speedway

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 13
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 6:09:23 PM   
Dalwin

This two unit rule is a bit awkward in a couple of places. There are some ports with restricted access, as in only one hex that reaches them. In reality, such ports would be easier to blockade rather than impossible.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 14
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 6:45:04 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dalwin

This two unit rule is a bit awkward in a couple of places. There are some ports with restricted access, as in only one hex that reaches them. In reality, such ports would be easier to blockade rather than impossible.

Ah interesting point so some ports are unblockable? Which might these be?

(in reply to Dalwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 6:53:13 PM   
Bo Rearguard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

quote:

Ah interesting point so some ports are unblockable? Which might these be?

Withe one hex access? Arkhangelsk, Abadan, Narvik. I'm sure there are others.

Attachment (1)

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 16
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 7:30:10 PM   
Platoonist

Leningrad/Kronstadt would be the most prominent example to me. A size 12 major port you can't blockade with two ships due to how narrow the Baltic is there.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 17
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 7:33:12 PM   
Dalwin

There was also at least one in Japan, and some others along the Chinese coast.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 18
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 7:34:16 PM   
Dalwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Leningrad/Kronstadt would be the most prominent example to me. A size 12 major port you can't blockade with two ships due to how narrow the Baltic is there.

Perhaps the best and easiest solution would be to put a red hex there. By rights, any port with narrow access should be easy to blockade.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 19
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 7:40:53 PM   
Platoonist

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Perhaps the best and easiest solution would be to put a red hex there. By rights, any port with narrow access should be easy to blockade.

Yes, it seems like there should something to simulate the barrage of anti-submarine nets and mines the Germans and Finns used to bottle up the Gulf of Finland.

(in reply to Dalwin)
Post #: 20
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 11:05:44 PM   
Tanaka

Hmm well maybe the easiest fix for this issue is one ship blocks a port?

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 21
RE: Blockade of port - 5/29/2020 11:15:30 PM   
Dalwin

That would represent a balance change, however, making it easier in general to blockade ports. The red hex solution just specifically deals with those ports which cannot be blockaded through normal means. Of course, this method is not without its problems as well, since the red hexes also reduce the value of the city attached to the port symbol rather than only the port itself. This would affect Leningrad and the city in Japan at the very least.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Blockade of port Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI