Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/16/2019 7:26:03 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Sounds like the German KM naval architects who spent the war designing battleships of 100,000 to 300,000 tons so they would not be drafted into the Wehrmacht.

A similar group of designers working on tank design came up with a tank that mounted two 15" guns and stood over 20 feet high. Never mind that it was too heavy and too wide for any road or bridge in Europe, it was essential for the war effort and Hitler entertained the idea just enough to keep the designers busy drawing ...

Wow...a land battleship. What a great idea. I'm going to mention to my R&D staff that Hitler is developing a land battleship, and that we simply must have one too. I'll send an envoy to Berlin to see if we can get a copy of the blueprints. We should probably keep the tanks in the home islands until the secret gets out.

You could mount it on top of Yamato as a 4th turret.

Actually, I have other plans for the top of the Yamato. I want to build an electronic suite up there to receive the pings from the beacons. The beacons will be a transmitter mounted beneath three barrage balloons anchored to the earth over a know spot. One is in the surburbs of Tokyo at GHQ, another at Sapporo out in the forest at a spot surveyed recently, and another is near Nagasaki on the naval base there. What the beacons do is send out radio pings at a known time, usually several per second, and those radio pings are received by the receiver on the Yamato and compared with the known time they were sent to get time enroute from each of the three beacons. That information will yield the Yamato's position within about a mile. It's a poor-man's GPS.

I'm sure Allied intel will agree.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/16/2019 7:28:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

The Yamato just receives the pings....it doesn't transmitt anything. What could go wrong?

Thailand is the world's biggest producer of rubber.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 32
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/16/2019 8:05:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

A woman answers her phone, "Hello."

"Is this Mrs. Haycroft"

"Yes."

"Mrs. Haycroft, this is Doctor Willits calling from the Medical Lab. Your doctor sent us your husband's samples yesterday. In the same shipment we received a similar sample from a different Mr. Haycroft. Unfortunately there was a mix up, and we're not sure which result belongs to your husband. I'm sorry to say that either way, the news is not good."

"Not good?" asks Mrs. Haycroft.

"I'm afraid not. One of the tests came back with Alzheimer's and the other with AIDS. As I said, we're unsure which result is the correct one for your husband."

"Oh no, that's horrible!" said Mrs. Haycroft. "I assume you'll redo the test?"

"We'd like to, but they're very expensive, and the insurance people tell us they will not pay for them again."

"That's ridiculous! What can I possibly do now?"

"The insurance company recommends that you drive your husband to the other side of town and leave him there. If he can find his way home, don't sleep with him."

Thailand is the world's biggest producer of rubber.

Post #: 33
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/16/2019 8:27:43 PM   
RangerJoe

In a combat zone, boring is a good thing. It is when things get very interesting that you can easily get killed.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Post #: 34
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/16/2019 9:32:48 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

The Yamato just receives the pings....it doesn't transmitt anything. What could go wrong?

Oh. Right. Maybe i should adjust my car's radar detector.

Post #: 35
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/16/2019 9:41:34 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

Like the US jet fighters that kept receiving pings from the law enforcement radar? It kept setting off their threat detectors and the law enforcement people kept getting readings of a vehicle going 200 mph. What could go wrong, especially if a pilot automatically sent an anti-radiation missile down range . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 36
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/17/2019 3:46:35 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Actually, I have other plans for the top of the Yamato. I want to build an electronic suite up there to receive the pings from the beacons. The beacons will be a transmitter mounted beneath three barrage balloons anchored to the earth over a know spot. One is in the surburbs of Tokyo at GHQ, another at Sapporo out in the forest at a spot surveyed recently, and another is near Nagasaki on the naval base there. What the beacons do is send out radio pings at a known time, usually several per second, and those radio pings are received by the receiver on the Yamato and compared with the known time they were sent to get time enroute from each of the three beacons. That information will yield the Yamato's position within about a mile. It's a poor-man's GPS.

Gee, that sounds a lot like ... GEE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_(navigation)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 37
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/17/2019 9:08:04 AM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

Like the US jet fighters that kept receiving pings from the law enforcement radar? It kept setting off their threat detectors and the law enforcement people kept getting readings of a vehicle going 200 mph. What could go wrong, especially if a pilot automatically sent an anti-radiation missile down range . . .

A police officer stops a car on the high way. The car's window goes down, a young Tom Cruise with black glasses shows up and the radio is playing "Danger Zone" really loud.
"Hello, sir. Do you know what speed you were going?"
"Hello, officer. Who cares, this car can't even break the sound barrier. You know, I am an officer too, I fly fighter jets and I am on my way to test that new HARM missile today."
"HARM missile?"
"It is an air-to-surface anti-radiation missile. It locks on little radars like the one you are holding and goes boom."
"Oh, OK, sir. That is fine to know, have a nice day."

< Message edited by tarkalak -- 7/17/2019 9:19:09 AM >

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 38
RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies - 7/17/2019 9:17:24 AM   
tarkalak

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Gee, that sounds a lot like ... GEE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_(navigation)

May be the US will then make a similar system and you will have a little Battle of the Beams

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Girl Scout Cookies Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI