Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Score one for the good guys - slightly OT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Score one for the good guys - slightly OT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/12/2019 12:41:30 AM   
BBfanboy

Fantastic work by the USCG!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/video-u-s-coast-guard-jumps-onto-submarine-as-part-of-us-569-million-drug-bust-1.4504802

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Post #: 1
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 12:55:52 AM   
spence

Actually it's not so OT. The USCG was "fighting" (although not commonly sometimes it did involve shooting) a war up to 1935 against many nations who were smuggling liquor into the US, Initially smuggling of liquor actually increased after Prohibition was repealed since the gangsters didn't like paying taxes. During Prohibition 30 USN destroyers were temporarily transferred to the USCG to help enforce it. Thus the officers and men of the USCG were more experienced in real naval operations than those of the USN who mostly spent the years between 1918 and 1941 practicing to re-fight Jutand (along with most of the IJN). In any case the officer and crew experiences of the USCG cutters in both the game and all the Mods are lower than the USN's whereas they probably should be considerably higher (USCG cutters sank several of the first U-Boats sunk in the Atlantic by American forces).

(BTW a famous Prohibition Era incident involved the USCG and a Canadian ahip (even if one of the owners was Al Capone), the I'm Alone).

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 12:06:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

Actually it's not so OT. The USCG was "fighting" (although not commonly sometimes it did involve shooting) a war up to 1935 against many nations who were smuggling liquor into the US, Initially smuggling of liquor actually increased after Prohibition was repealed since the gangsters didn't like paying taxes. During Prohibition 30 USN destroyers were temporarily transferred to the USCG to help enforce it. Thus the officers and men of the USCG were more experienced in real naval operations than those of the USN who mostly spent the years between 1918 and 1941 practicing to re-fight Jutand (along with most of the IJN). In any case the officer and crew experiences of the USCG cutters in both the game and all the Mods are lower than the USN's whereas they probably should be considerably higher (USCG cutters sank several of the first U-Boats sunk in the Atlantic by American forces).

(BTW a famous Prohibition Era incident involved the USCG and a Canadian ahip (even if one of the owners was Al Capone), the I'm Alone).

I said slightly OT because the post was not about the game WITP-AE, which is the forum's purpose.

I think there were other Canadian boats involved with the USCG during prohibition. IIRC one of the smuggling routes was for shallow-draft ships to haul from Canada to the Bahamas and drop at one of the many small islands there. Plentiful reefs and shoals kept the bigger USCG vessels out. A US registered boat would then move the contraband to the mainland.

Canada got a significant economic boost from prohibition, but it came with mobsters setting up shop in Montreal too. The mob in turn recruited Biker gangs after WWII to perform some of their operations - like a contract. The bikers are killing off each other regularly in their turf wars, and of course sometimes innocents get caught in the crossfire/bombing.

The fact that current drug cartels can afford to buy expensive subs and accept that some will be intercepted with their cargoes of drugs or cash tells you how much profit there is in the drug business. The misery and death that follows the entire chain of the production, transportations and consumption of these poisons is why I detest the use of the addictive drugs for "recreational purposes". Go USCG and CCG!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 2:36:48 PM   
geofflambert

Before elected, the President said he wanted to cut the USCG in half. Why? Who knows? But there's another problem which requires a greater expenditure. We (the US) currently have two USCG icebreakers. Russia has thirty. If we don't do something about that it's tantamount to ceding the Arctic to Russia.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 2:53:50 PM   
Lovejoy

Mr. President, we cannot allow an Icebreaker gap!

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 7:55:49 PM   
Chickenboy

I have every faith that we can produce sufficient Icebreakers to rise to the occasion. For example:

"Do you come here often?"

"Are you, by chance, Jamaican? Because Jour Makin' me crazy!"

"Are you tired? Because you've been running through my mind since you came in here."

"Trust me. I'm a doctor."

There's four right there. Feel free to use these at your earliest convenience.

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 6
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 8:31:05 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Before elected, the President said he wanted to cut the USCG in half. Why? Who knows? But there's another problem which requires a greater expenditure. We (the US) currently have two USCG icebreakers. Russia has thirty. If we don't do something about that it's tantamount to ceding the Arctic to Russia.

Cutting boats in half rarely works well. Look at the Schenectady!

I thought that the Arctic was mostly Canadian anyways?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 7
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/16/2019 10:56:12 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

The best way to get good allies is be a good ally.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 8
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/17/2019 12:24:12 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Fantastic work by the USCG!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/video-u-s-coast-guard-jumps-onto-submarine-as-part-of-us-569-million-drug-bust-1.4504802

Actually, it isn't a "submarine", but a semi-submersible. one can always count on the ignorance of the media to sensationalize a story.

Just like to them any semi-automatic rifle or pistol is an "Assault weapon".

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Score one for the good guys - slightly OT - 7/17/2019 4:51:16 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Well the people who live in the arctic north of our part of the mainland (i.e. not north of Alaska) are fed, educated and receive their free health care from Canada. But the US and other countries are arguing that because there are navigable water routes opening up and because Canada does not have a constant military presence everywhere, the door is open for other countries to claim sovereignty. The lure, of course, is global warming opening up easier access to oil and diamonds (almost all are industrial quality, not gems).
Unfortunately the greed of the powerful tends to trump the consideration of what is best for the people who live up there. Our own companies have done significant exploitation and polluting in the north too.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Score one for the good guys - slightly OT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI