Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Auto rail repair - works as intended?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Auto rail repair - works as intended? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Auto rail repair - works as intended? - 7/11/2019 5:00:43 AM   
BigDuke66

Maybe I misunderstand something but wasn't the auto rail repair function designed to connect to the rail supply network?
Manual p.80:
"The Automatic Rail Repair function is reasonably
intelligent; it attempts to recreate destroyed supply
nets from supply sources, and will tend to occur near
Supply Points and deployed Railroad Repair units."

Then why do I see in my "Nach Frankreich" game that the function repaired rail hexes around Utrecht, these repaired rail hexes are at best 12 hexes away from the rail network that is connect to my sole supply source at Freudenstadt.

Maybe I misunderstand how supply works but afaik after the rail network from a supply source ends the rest of the maps supply level depends on motorized movement costs from these railheads(at least with the New Supply Rule). So repairing rail hexes that are disconnected from the railnetwork makes no difference regarding supply levels, at least I don't see any improvement in supply levels.

And that blob repaired around Utrecht is not the only one.

Post #: 1
RE: Auto rail repair - works as intended? - 7/11/2019 7:18:33 AM   
sPzAbt653

I might say that perceived issue is a symptom of large maps and lots of rail hexes, scenarios like Nach Frankreich and Directive 21. I say this because I have a lot of experience watching rail repair in those two scenarios, lol. I understand your concern, but point out two bits of the 'rule'. attempts to and will tend to . Just to have some fun clarifying these statements, let's say that I work for you, and I tell you that I will attempt to do a good job and that I will tend to be successful, would have much faith in my abilities as an employee? I hope not!

So that is my conclusion about Elmer repairing rails for us. It's not as good as we would like. Therefore, since I had some influence in both D21 and NF, I made sure that the player could have some influence in the process and hopefully avoid the frustrations.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2
RE: Auto rail repair - works as intended? - 7/11/2019 12:06:57 PM   
Zovs

I did the same with my WIE scenario. Its large, I gave both players auto rail repair (small like 2 hexes) and I also gave them some dedicated RR repair units and also added RR squads to HQ's. So Elmer will do some, but it's up to the player to work on the rest of the damaged ones. It's not a one shot deal either. Most of the times the dedicated RR engineer units will repair one hex of rail and sometimes an Army HQ will repair one hex of rail each turn, but sometimes not, sometimes I have had 3 HQ's trying to repair a rail hex and they failed. Each turn is a week and each hex is 25 miles. So in my case its a design effect on purpose.

I also think this ties into the new supply rules in my scenario I set the length to 10 hexes for supply and IIRC the extended supply to <3.

War in the East/War in the East II - Alpha Test Teams
WarPlan Beta Tester
DG CWIE2 tester/SPWW2 and SPMBT playtester/scenario & campaign creator

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Auto rail repair - works as intended? - 8/3/2019 7:03:34 AM   
BigDuke66

Just wonder if the auto repair is only influence by Railroad Repair units or if any unit with rail repair capacity does it.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 4
RE: Auto rail repair - works as intended? - 8/3/2019 6:50:17 PM   
Hellen_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Just wonder if the auto repair is only influence by Railroad Repair units or if any unit with rail repair capacity does it.

In my D21 game, the Soviets were getting rails repaired, even when I did not have any RR repair units in the vicinity. The game designer of D21 might be able to give insight about this, but I was definitely getting rails repaired without any RR engineers on the board.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 5
RE: Auto rail repair - works as intended? - 8/3/2019 7:11:00 PM   
BigDuke66

I should have be clearer.
If auto repair occurs isn't a matter of having rail repair units, afaik it's set by event so that there is an auto repair of X for side Y, and then you get X repaired rail hexes, doesn't matter if you have any rail repair units or not.
My point was about where such auto repair happens and if this is influenced by the icon a unit uses or by the fact that it has rail repair capacity.

(in reply to Hellen_slith)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Auto rail repair - works as intended? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI