Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesesteak v. RADM Yamaguchi

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cheesesteak

Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesesteak v. RADM Yamaguchi

Post by Cheesesteak »

So it begins

Attachments
oddballsmob.jpg
oddballsmob.jpg (50.07 KiB) Viewed 851 times
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Cheesesteak

RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesesteak v. RADM Yamaguchi

Post by Cheesesteak »

Captain's log, Supplemental:

Aaffins and I have played several head-to-head PBEM matches. Since I'm lazy and disorganized, he's been the de facto JFB. We've traded heavy blows across the Pacific (with mixed results). Now it's time to team up and take on RADM Yamaguchi in a stock scen 2 game. Expect nuanced tactical, operational, and strategic insight from Aaffins. It'll be interesting to see how our play styles compliment and complicate our defense against the horde.

Turn one is in the bag!
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

You chose the right image for driving CR from reading your AAR. This might be a good decision: you don't want to be sidetracked into talking about hiking or dendrology.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yeah. I read the AAR title and "Uuuugggg" came out.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Ahhhhh...now Dan..."Have a little Faith BABY. Have a little faith."

Hope your title doesn't stroke out the Southern Paddler!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

No accounting for (my) taste! Speaking of, huge fan of all of your AARs. Both as learning guides and sheer entertainment value.

Aaffins and I are friends from college. He will attest that my sense of humor has not evolved much since.

It's been so long since last playing stock scen 2, that I forgot how much trouble the allies are in. Really an existential threat. If only I knew of three allied tanks holding themselves in reserve... perhaps with some sort of plucky hippie commander?
Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

The "money shot"

Our Admirable opponent opts for a port-focused PH attack, meaning a day two attack is almost certainly ruled out. Note the number of attacking craft. The Kaga appears to have been broken off and sent half-way across the map.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 55
B5N2 Kate x 117
D3A1 Val x 108

Allied Ships
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 12, heavy fires
AV Tangier, Torpedo hits 1
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires
xAP St. Mihel, Bomb hits 1
BB California, Bomb hits 6, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Helena, Torpedo hits 1
DD Reid, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 3, heavy fires
DM Montgomery, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Laida, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
DD Ralph Talbot, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Downes, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DM Pruitt, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
CL Honolulu, Bomb hits 1
CL Raleigh, Bomb hits 1
CM Oglala, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
PT-20, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

More distressing to me is the success enjoyed by Betty and her balsa wood associate:

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 2,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 36
G4M1 Betty x 81

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 4 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 5 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
SS Pickerel, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Seawolf, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Pike, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
TK Mindanao, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
AO Trinity, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Sculpin, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Salmon, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
xAKL Princess of Negros, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
PT-32, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
TK Gertrude Kellogg, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Sailfish, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Yu Sang, Bomb hits 1, on fire
SS Shark, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
PT-34, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Ethel Edwards, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAP Neptuna, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAKL Don Jose, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AM Lark, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
SS S-40, Bomb hits 2, heavy damage
xAKL Paz, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS Stingray, Bomb hits 2
DD John D. Ford, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS S-37, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS Snapper, Bomb hits 1
PT-33, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AM Whippoorwill, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAP Rochambeau, Bomb hits 2
xAKL Sagoland, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Pillsbury, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Pope, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
PG Asheville, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

Kaga-1 is spotted covering a Mersing Gambit. This turns out to be the first of several aggressive landings. Singkawang, Cayagan, and Rabaul all see Air HQs put ashore on Dec 7, 1941. Aaffins noticed this while parsing through the combat report. Meanwhile, reading all of the IJN xAK ship names made me crave sushi.

I didn't realize that warp TFs could insta-unload/load troops for a customized invasion composition.

While I get up to speed on writing AARs, I suggest taking a drink every time you read a paragraph starting with: "I didn't realize...". It will make this a lot more enjoyable for everyone.
Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

I'll consider changing the thread title if you weigh in on something [:D]

Given the advanced placement of Japanese Air HQs, should we use DD SCTFs exclusively in the covered areas? I remember reading that Bettys have trouble hitting DDs.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak
I didn't realize that warp TFs could insta-unload/load troops for a customized invasion composition.

While I get up to speed on writing AARs, I suggest taking a drink every time you read a paragraph starting with: "I didn't realize...". It will make this a lot more enjoyable for everyone.
Warping TFs have some additional action points compared to usual ones, like x20 more but not infinite. So they can spend those on loading troops instead of moving if a JFB is too greedy, been there done that. Your opponent seems to have a well-polished aggressive opening plan with just-enough-just-in-time invasions. The usual counter you can try is to use SCTFs to try catch his second-wave invasions on important but not well-defended bases like Samarinda/Balikpapan, Kendari, Denpasar. Also, Rabaul region can't have torps yet, too small an airfield. And dive bombers are scarce and short legged. ANZAC TFs can try have some licks there in the week ahead. The other counter is to use your flying boats to fly Dutch infantry to Palembang. He will come there fast, let him try the x3 swamp

The second part depends on how frequent you will be updating your AAR. Having a drink every other day is ok in my book [:D]
aaffins

Post by aaffins »

My favorite part of this turn:
Amphibious Assault at Pontianak (56,90)

TF 98 troops unloading over beach at Pontianak, 56,90

8 Naval Support troops lost from landing craft during unload of Southern Fleet
8 Naval Support troops accidentally lost during unload of Southern Fleet

I guess Yamaguchi wanted Gen. Terauchi to lead his troops ashore
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Amazing how the drydocked BB Pennsylvania always takes several torps in the attack. Who knew the IJN had All Terrain Torpedoes!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: aaffins

My favorite part of this turn:
Amphibious Assault at Pontianak (56,90)

TF 98 troops unloading over beach at Pontianak, 56,90

I guess Yamaguchi wanted Gen. Terauchi to lead his troops ashore
I think 'unloading over beach' may be an opportunity for improvement. They should try 'unloading on beach' next time. [:D]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

I'll weigh in.

As some one who has publicly stated on this forum many times that Kelly's Heroes is one of the best movies ever made, I'm in.

CR and I are polar opposites when it comes to appreciation of this movie genre.

I'll be following your AAR and offering comment where I can.

Whatever you do, don't change the title.

"Maybe he's a Republican"!
Hans

Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I'll weigh in.

As some one who has publicly stated on this forum many times that Kelly's Heroes is one of the best movies ever made, I'm in.

Love it. Hopefully there will be fireworks enough to keep readers engaged regardless of genre appreciation.

Aaffins has been hard at work on the second turn, while I've yet to do much besides send occasional thoughts or recommendations. There are only so many moves that an allied player can make early, and forum veterans have heard them ad nauseum.

Showing my hand here, but I trust the forum and our opponent to keep opsec: Given Yamaguchi's extremely calculated and precise opening, there is an opportunity for disruption. I'm no chess player, but love implementing "anti-computer" moves. The idea being to make apparently sub-optimal moves to cause disruption, force unplanned changes, etc.

With that in mind, there will be points where I advocate for vigorous defense regardless of operational or strategic need. Other times (read: PI air force), our forces should run without delay.

Has anyone had luck with such a plan? Ideally, we could make the sea froth around Ambom, Mandano, and Java generally. I struggle to think about how to implement this concept in other theaters (Burma, Cen/So Pac).

Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Amazing how the drydocked BB Pennsylvania always takes several torps in the attack. Who knew the IJN had All Terrain Torpedoes!

ATT are scary indeed! Good sake has led to many great feats.
Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Warping TFs have some additional action points compared to usual ones, like x20 more but not infinite. So they can spend those on loading troops instead of moving if a JFB is too greedy, been there done that. Your opponent seems to have a well-polished aggressive opening plan with just-enough-just-in-time invasions. The usual counter you can try is to use SCTFs to try catch his second-wave invasions on important but not well-defended bases like Samarinda/Balikpapan, Kendari, Denpasar. Also, Rabaul region can't have torps yet, too small an airfield. And dive bombers are scarce and short legged. ANZAC TFs can try have some licks there in the week ahead. The other counter is to use your flying boats to fly Dutch infantry to Palembang. He will come there fast, let him try the x3 swamp

The second part depends on how frequent you will be updating your AAR. Having a drink every other day is ok in my book [:D]

Extremely useful info. I still owe Aaffins a PBEM where I play Japan. Hope to put this info to good use.

I'll try to time my ignorance accordingly!
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

How far does your laziness and disorganization extend with regard to all of the various things that need to be set in motion at the game start?

Are you aware of the need to examine every last xAK in every last port on the map to identify the ones that can convert to other, every important ship types, before getting them caught up in supply TFs?

Are you aware of the need to get every last xAK that you don't set to convert headed toward major supply/troop hubs?

The Allies merchant marine starts the game scattered to the four winds and getting them moving toward important hubs is a first turn must.

You stated you have played several PBEM games so I assume you have picked up already on some of these important points.

Let me know when I'm rehashing basics you have already learned.
Hans

aaffins

Post by aaffins »

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

I'll weigh in.

Love it. Hopefully there will be fireworks enough to keep readers engaged regardless of genre appreciation.

Aaffins has been hard at work on the second turn, while I've yet to do much besides send occasional thoughts or recommendations. There are only so many moves that an allied player can make early, and forum veterans have heard them ad nauseum.

Showing my hand here, but I trust the forum and our opponent to keep opsec: Given Yamaguchi's extremely calculated and precise opening, there is an opportunity for disruption. I'm no chess player, but love implementing "anti-computer" moves. The idea being to make apparently sub-optimal moves to cause disruption, force unplanned changes, etc.

With that in mind, there will be points where I advocate for vigorous defense regardless of operational or strategic need. Other times (read: PI air force), our forces should run without delay.

Has anyone had luck with such a plan? Ideally, we could make the sea froth around Ambom, Mandano, and Java generally. I struggle to think about how to implement this concept in other theaters (Burma, Cen/So Pac).

Wait so I wasnt supposed to put every plane in the Philippines on CAP?
Cheesesteak

Post by Cheesesteak »

How far does your laziness and disorganization extend with regard to all of the various things that need to be set in motion at the game start?

Are you aware of the need to examine every last xAK in every last port on the map to identify the ones that can convert to other, every important ship types, before getting them caught up in supply TFs?

Are you aware of the need to get every last xAK that you don't set to convert headed toward major supply/troop hubs?

The Allies merchant marine starts the game scattered to the four winds and getting them moving toward important hubs is a first turn must.

You stated you have played several PBEM games so I assume you have picked up already on some of these important points.

Let me know when I'm rehashing basics you have already learned.

The level of allied disorganization is astounding. I referred to laziness partly in jest, partly as an operational necessity. Hopefully Aaffins and I, when our powers of patience combine, can get right-sized TFs running with like-minded ships in good order. While clicking through pilot pools will forever frustrate me, seeing forward operating bases swollen with tons of supply brings irrational amounts of satisfaction.

As an imperfect rule, I try to slightly increase supply and fuel at bases like Colombo and PH through early-42, while pushing as much forward as possible. Too early to gauge when the Scen 2 hammer will fall, but never too early to get shipping in motion.

Side note, Turning off the 500 HI at Sydney may be viewed as gamey, but likely the only feasible way to avoid turning Hobart or Auckland into the SoPac shipping hub.

Admittedly, my conversion knowledge is poor to non-existent. Conversions should be done (the first that comes to mind is Clemson class to APD), but in terms of xAK -> support classes, my knowledge is abysmal. It's those type of plays (among others) that separate me from the more skilled members of this forum! [&o]

Return to “After Action Reports”