Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Issues with Starting on Steam

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Issues with Starting on Steam Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issues with Starting on Steam - 6/28/2019 10:19:08 PM   
Calvin809

Hello,

I just purchased the game and this comes up on steam. I have never seen this before.

"Allow game launch? The Operational Art of War IV is attempting to launch with the optional parameters shown below. "-steam" If you did not request this launch or do not understand these options, select Cancel".

If I click "OK" the game does not start at all.

I am not seeing OAoWIV show up in the My Documents folder at all. I have tried verifying the game files and reinstalling.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Issues with Starting on Steam - 6/29/2019 4:13:46 AM   
Calvin809

I messed around a bit and got it to start.

(in reply to Calvin809)
Post #: 2
RE: Issues with Starting on Steam - 6/29/2019 12:14:33 PM   
sPzAbt653

Meanwhile, steam is making millions. They know you are susceptible to watching late night tv and ordering coins, knives and plates. Most of it is cheap junk that you don't need.

Much of what 'steam' does is actually done by our game developers. Our guys have to babysit steam and constantly make new versions in order to attempt to be compatible. This takes away from our valuable development time. The games make more money, but is it worth it to us. This is a contributing factor to why our games suck [as discussed in several other recent threads]. The extra money holds the developers and distributors on the hook, and we can't blame them for that. We are responsible. We have to pick up the remote and turn off the infomercials.

Steam is a monopoly that has been around for years and I'm not under any foolish impression that my comments will change anything. But I know that there are those out there that are like I was - wondering what this steam thing was all about. So I looked into it, didn't like what I found out, and thought I would pass it on.

(in reply to Calvin809)
Post #: 3
RE: Issues with Starting on Steam - 6/29/2019 12:53:51 PM   
Shadrach

Steam is not a monopoly. If anything, they are now starting to feel the effect of several other digital distribution platforms (Epic, Origin, GOG, Uplay ++). And these platforms are known to use WAY more monopolistic tactics, like exclusive deals for big games, lasting for a year or more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_distribution_in_video_games#Current

Maybe if you go back to 2010, Steam was a "de-facto" monopoly, not because of nasty business practices, but simply because the other distributors couldn't get their thumbs out of their asses...

Yes Steam does push a lot of crap these days. But this is a relatively new thing, simply because the huge number of developers pushing to be on Steam has increased to the point where curating a selection of quality games has become an impossible task. The other stores are more selective and usually only push the big AAA developers, making it really hard for small independents to get on there.

< Message edited by Shadrach -- 6/29/2019 12:56:36 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Issues with Starting on Steam - 6/29/2019 1:04:37 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Meanwhile, steam is making millions. They know you are susceptible to watching late night tv and ordering coins, knives and plates. Most of it is cheap junk that you don't need.

Much of what 'steam' does is actually done by our game developers. Our guys have to babysit steam and constantly make new versions in order to attempt to be compatible. This takes away from our valuable development time. The games make more money, but is it worth it to us. This is a contributing factor to why our games suck [as discussed in several other recent threads]. The extra money holds the developers and distributors on the hook, and we can't blame them for that. We are responsible. We have to pick up the remote and turn off the infomercials.

Steam is a monopoly that has been around for years and I'm not under any foolish impression that my comments will change anything. But I know that there are those out there that are like I was - wondering what this steam thing was all about. So I looked into it, didn't like what I found out, and thought I would pass it on.

FFS give it a rest.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Issues with Starting on Steam Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI