From: Winnipeg, MB
I would appreciate any help with the Allied CS and how it should be set up. My thanks in advance.
Looks like Korvar has covered how to create the individual convoy, but were you asking how to set up the whole system? If so, that is a lengthy story.
1. General Principles:
- form the convoy from ships of similar speed and capacity and adequate range to get to the receiving base and back without refueling.
- Use the slowest ones for CS purposes and save your fast ships for moving troops and equipment.
- take into account the ability of the receiving base to dock the convoy, how long it will take to unload and the threat of enemy attack if he detects the convoy offloading.
- take into account the ability of the receiving base to store the convoy load. Overstocking will result in spoilage.
- draw from places that have lots of goodies (supply/fuel or resources/oil) to take to places that need them. Note that North America does not need any oil or resources brought to it.
- assess the threats before deciding if you can risk setting up a convoy on a regular route. If there are subs lurking off the port, provide escorts and do everything you can to locate and attack the subs.
- early on you are very short on escorts - you may have to use the escorts just near the originating base and remove them from the convoy after it is a day or two away.
- use waypoints to make the convoy go a devious, unpredictable route rather than the predictable direct route so enemy subs cannot stake out the route easily.
- if you end up with lots of small xAKs that have too short range (4000 miles) to be much use, consider sending them all to East Coast USA or Canada to load supply and take it to Cape Town. They use no fuel between those bases (off-map to off-map) so their range is not an issue. Getting them to one of the off-map bases may be an issue. I put a couple of tankers disbanded at Diego Garcia and routed my short ranged xAKs there to fuel up so they could get to Cape Town. I set them to "Do not Refuel" before they leave DG so they do NOT refuel at CT. They use no fuel to get to USA or Canada so I let them refuel and repair there before forming them into CS convoys to feed CT. Later on when the Allies have lots of forward bases with beaucoup supply and fuel, bring back a few small xAKs to distribute supplies from hubs to new conquests.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth